It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's see just how "non-PC" you truly are

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Say there is a non-PC Christian who supports Donald Trump in saying all Muslims should be screened before entering the country, would they be ok with Trump saying the same thing or something similar about Christians?

The world has been having recent terrorist attacks from immigrants and refugees from predominantly Christian nations? If Trump had suggested that specifically about Christians and Christians alone, I'd say he had every right to say it, but he'd look like a clueless ass.

link   
a reply to: Indigent

These are hypothetical situations, meaning they started heckling them only because they don't like fat people or disagree with their lifestyle.

link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

1. I wouldn't care either way. His freedom of speech doesn't absolve him of freedom from consequence.
2. I'd like to think I'd defend the guy. The right to not be bullied and be left doesn't negate the guy's right to free speech but it does override it in that instance imo.
3. I'd tell my friends to back down, try to work out why the guy is being offensive and what his problem is, attempt to reason with him and take it from there. He's got the right to say what he wants, I'm not obligated to listen.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Not really sure to be honest since I ain't christian.

I get the point...it's that "you did it to yourself" sort of thing....you won't help me? Aaargh! If only I were more PC!

I'd only help the fat guy if he was standing up for himself and got physicallyu attacked, there's no justification for that sort of behaviour. In fact even if the biggest, mist intolerant bigot I know was being beaten simply for having a view or opinion I wouldn't stand back and allow that.

If the shopkeeper is refusing to help say, someone who is mortally wounded...then I'd say he's the one cherry picking when it comes to being PC.

There's being non-PC...then there's allowing someone to suffer, I don't think they're the same thing.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Which is why I also said "something similar", as in a statement that would offend Christians. Would a Christian fight for his right to bad talk Christians like they do with his talk of foreigners?

I don't think my premise was understood very well. Maybe that's my fault.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

1. I would punch him in the face.

2. I would punch the heckler in the face.

3. I would punch the person heckling me in the face.

I guess I am not politically correct.

Or you're a boxer??? Who knows??

Sorry, all for free speech, don't have much patience with bullies. And yeah a golden glove trophy or two.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

a reply to: HeathenJessie

By the way, I'm neither PC or non-PC, I support someone's right to say whatever they want, but that doesn't mean I will agree with it or get pissed off about it either.

Then why did you even make this thread if you already know the answer? Clearly non-PC people don't just remain completely passive regardless of what anyone says. If someone insults them to their face they will react like any person. My position is, people can say what they what, but they have to be ready to face the consequences. If an employee wants to insult customers he must be ready to be fired from his job. If someone wants to insult me to my face, they must be ready to be punched in the face. That doesn't mean I don't think anyone should insult anyone, I may want to insult someone at some point in time, and if I do then I will have to face the consequences. Being non-PC is simply about having some thickness to your skin and not crying like a baby at every little offensive statement made. Some things simply need to be said even if it upsets a certain group of people. You can always find someone who is offended by any given statement.
edit on 26/1/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I'm not everyone else, I don't know what the answers would have been.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

No, I got your premise, I just think you are missing a lot of variables. If, suddenly, Catholic terrorists (or other criminal activists) started infiltrating the US from Latin America, Southern Europe, and Africa and Trump said "We need to put a moratorium on foreign Catholic or even Christian entry into the US." I'd support the man and his statement fully. The problem here is you're asking a hypothetical with no background to warrant comparison to a reality. It would be like asking me the question "The coyote population in Montana has gotten out of hand and ranchers are losing calves at an alarming rate, do you support the state lifting the limit on elk for this hunting season to cull the herd?" THE TWO AREN'T COMPARABLE. Now, if you want to make the hypothetical "Elk have started eating the flesh of cattle," then at least there would be some manner of justification behind the question.

Here's a question for you: Who is the lord and master of deciding what is and is not "offensive?" What is offensive to you may not be offensive to others. It is entirely dependent on the listener to either take offense or not. As such, the only logical individual to blame for offensive, "non-PC" flaps is the listener who made the choice to take offense.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Fat one had aids man, he knew it and he still did it because he knew other man would only insult him, and you help the fat one.

You know you did, you will remember the face of other man when he lost the will to live in an Unjust pc world where fat man gets what he wants because he knows how to play and other man is just too simple and nobody cares for him.

Hypothetically

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

PC has become this really over used term. Someone insults me or my family, they will probably get punched in the face. If someone is bullying someone, and I can stop it, someone is probably going to get punched in the face. Someone is bullying me, they will probably get kicked in the nuts and fed them.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I totally agree with you about "non-PC" and "PC" being subjective, which is what makes the concepts so dangerous and dumb in my opinion. They can be changed to fit whoever is looking at them.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The point is...the scenarios presented are misleading with regards to political correctness. I don't think it's acceptable for anyone to refuse to help someone for no reason of for having a disagreement. This hypothesis assumes that the non-PC folk are somehow harming the PC, or wishing them ill.

That isn't the case...helping someone in a time of need is about being human, common decency and is nothing to do with political correctness. If anything refusing to help someone who really needs it based on some disliking for them is pretty mean spirited, it's just plain nasty.

It's misleading to confuse the two.

Allowing a group of people to bully someone, for whatever reason, is inhumane and nasty...nothing to do with being PC. I hate to see those videos posted on social media where some kid is being bullied, people laughing and filming. Helping someone in a situation like that doesn't make you politically correct, tht's compassion and sympathy, human qualities.

The last one is just kinda funny...I'd be ashamed of myself if I needed my friends to stand up for me if someone started to verbally attack me. I've experienced things like that before...I might harbour some old-fashioned views...I won't lie, but I don't assume the right to simply attack someone verbally for whatever reason.

Still, at the same time if some fat dude is crying because one or two idiots made a mean comments I'd neither intervene nor care. I'm not responsible for others' self-esteem or lack thereof.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I may have used bad examples, but I stick by the premise nonetheless. The point I was trying to get across is that PC and non-PC are totally subjective and to say someone is one or the other OR defending one or the other is a bit hypocritical in itself.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

1. Find the manager and get him fired. If the manager does nothing contact corporate, and BBB. Nobody acts that ridiculous to me and gets a free pass.

2. Replace this with morbidly obese and it's a reasonable scenario. The majority are overweight, and 1/3 are obese. I wouldn't defend either person. I have no idea how the bitching started, I just walked in. Keep walking.

3. I don't know anyone who has ever thought that something was "non-pc" so okay. Has this ever happened to you? You defend yourself when it's best, period. Often times if someone is verbally attacking you can stay calm and shut them up with ease. They show weakness if attacking without provocation, especially when the defendant finds no need to react. It's just too easy to come out on top in this situation.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3 N3D1

...so, if the un-PC knife cuts both ways, I get to say what ever I want as well, no?

1......he will probably just quit
2.....heckler better be flawless, bet I could make him cry..
3....I know them? Then I know some dirt on them, and if they start something, it'll all come out....

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I may have used bad examples, but I stick by the premise nonetheless. The point I was trying to get across is that PC and non-PC are totally subjective and to say someone is one or the other OR defending one or the other is a bit hypocritical in itself.

They are both subjective, but if we live by the golden rule, these issues would never arise. I am offended by little, and try to offend by little. We are all part of the human race.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It's cool man it's an interesting thread and a very relevant subject.

I'd like to spin it slightly though, if I may.

Imagine there were say, ad campaigns promoting some mild bigoted views...mainstream. In commercials, tv shows, cartoons. Let's pick something relevant, say kids were being bombarded with islamaphobic or even homophobic propaganda in schools. In fact in the modern day I believe the opposite is true, my neice was learning about some rather touchy subjects at quite a young age and asking some very awkward questions. It's all going a bit too far...I'm scared to fart for offending someone.

I don't think the problem is really that people are trying to be kind and decent, we all want that. But from my old-fashioned perspective it often appears that certain narratives are being pushed very obviously in our faces for whatever reason and the influence it's having is tangible.

The minute any group makes a bit of noise about an issue allowances are made and we all have to adapt and conform to yet more fragile mentalities. But no concessions are made for those of us who oppose. We're told "I can't help who I am" by the bleeding hearts but are expected to adapt or be branded as whatever insult fits...racist, islamaphobe, homophobe, politically incorrect, bigot, etc, etc.

Everyone else is to speak their minds, them's what disagree are the ones who end up being atacked and villified. We're all doing the same thing in the end...caving into that notion that we're entitled to speak our mind and stand up for our beliefs. I can be intolerant, but I don't lie about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

1. i dont ask employees for any help and i use the self checkouts.. their life probably sucks enough without me bugging them

2. i expect a person to defend themselves. i wouldnt even stop.

3. i have no friends and i can talk smack with the best of them .

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: HeathenJessie
It's cool man it's an interesting thread and a very relevant subject.

I'd like to spin it slightly though, if I may.

Imagine there were say, ad campaigns promoting some mild bigoted views...mainstream. In commercials, tv shows, cartoons. Let's pick something relevant, say kids were being bombarded with islamaphobic or even homophobic propaganda in schools. In fact in the modern day I believe the opposite is true, my neice was learning about some rather touchy subjects at quite a young age and asking some very awkward questions. It's all going a bit too far...I'm scared to fart for offending someone.

I don't think the problem is really that people are trying to be kind and decent, we all want that. But from my old-fashioned perspective it often appears that certain narratives are being pushed very obviously in our faces for whatever reason and the influence it's having is tangible.

The minute any group makes a bit of noise about an issue allowances are made and we all have to adapt and conform to yet more fragile mentalities. But no concessions are made for those of us who oppose. We're told "I can't help who I am" by the bleeding hearts but are expected to adapt or be branded as whatever insult fits...racist, islamaphobe, homophobe, politically incorrect, bigot, etc, etc.

Everyone else is to speak their minds, them's what disagree are the ones who end up being atacked and villified. We're all doing the same thing in the end...caving into that notion that we're entitled to speak our mind and stand up for our beliefs. I can be intolerant, but I don't lie about it.

I am going to assume you are a bit older than I, and that is an accomplishment. I came up in the years when the n word and the f word were heard, I am sure I have used both in a younger day. Somewhere along the line, I learned that people were mostly the same, brown, yellow, green, or white.

And as far as them f word folks, I pretty much figgered out, that unless I was involved, what went on their bedroom, was none of my business, and besides my wife likes it the same way.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join