It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon protest leader Ammon Bundy is arrested, says source

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: intrptr

No it's just how I see them, should I allow you to force me to change my opinion?

I was just addressing a false accusation, is all.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

To you, you need to rationalize it as a false accusation as it doesn't support your mindset on the subject.

To me, it is simply a valid personal opinion based on what I have seen with minimal emotional investment.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I don't know, the line between dedication & cultism is a fine one, but these folks do seem to be coming off more & more as a cult than a rights group here. How quickly people forget that "god wanted them there", eh?

Definition of cult in English:
noun
1A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object: the cult of St. Olaf
More example sentences

1.1A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister: a network of Satan-worshiping cults
More example sentences

1.2A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing: a cult of personality surrounding the leaders
More example sentences
Synonyms
1.3 [usually as modifier] A person or thing that is popular or fashionable, especially among a particular section of society: a cult film

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

Remember, the claim that "god wants them there" came from their side of the fence. Think about that from a psychological point of view before dismissing cult-like leanings.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

To me, it is simply a valid personal opinion based on what I have seen with minimal emotional investment.

Thats called here-say.

Good for you. Now impress me with your cult accusations. Define it and show how they are 'cult like'.

Cult is a derogatory word derived from the word Culture, to make someone or group look bad in the public eye.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
One persons opinion is another persons cult

LoLo with no political power to vote
edit on 27-1-2016 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Indigo5
Put another way...If these guys had slightly darker skin, were Muslim and had seized the buildings with an armed force to bring attention to Islam... That place would have been raided within 5 minutes with a heavy body count and terrorism charges galore.

Damn right. They only have a fan base because they're WHITE. If they were the other BLM group, they'd be called everything from gangbanger thugs to freeloading n-words. .

Yet what we've seen from the media and left is a full on defense of a group that has promoted racial segregation and has actually invaded public spaces to racially assault people based on their skin color. THAT"s what you and the media support. These guys haven't hurt anyone.
edit on 27-1-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That reference to God is also ridiculing and a distraction form their stated purpose. They're demonstrating against government practices, it doesn't matter what religion they practice. I get the need to foment religious bigotry though, The Nazis used it proceeding WWII and the US main stream news uses it to foment hate towards Islam.

Now the narrative seeks to use it to dehumanize these people in Oregon.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Cult is a derogatory word derived from the word Culture, to make someone or group look bad in the public eye.

They made themselves look bad in the public eye, don't hold me accountable for their behavior.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Good for you. Now impress me with your cult accusations. Define it and show how they are 'cult like'.

Guardian's still considered a neutral source, right?

1. A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power. That is a living leader, who has no meaningful accountability and becomes the single most defining element of the group and its source of power and authority.

2. A process [of indoctrination or education is in use that can be seen as] coercive persuasion or thought reform [commonly called "brainwashing"].

The culmination of this process can be seen by members of the group often doing things that are not in their own best interest, but consistently in the best interest of the group and its leader.

Lifton's seminal book Thought Reform and Psychology of Totalism explains this process in considerable detail.

3. Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.

The destructiveness of groups called cults varies by degree, from labour violations, child abuse, medical neglect to, in some extreme and isolated situations, calls for violence or mass suicide.

www.theguardian.com...

That's just a small snippet, read the entire piece. The bullet points at the bottom make a solid overall point.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I can't find a reliable source...

How many people are still in the reserve and how many militia are around the area and en route?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

In my very personal opinion, they may not have begun as a cult, but they're becoming one bit by bit, day by day. It's like the "mission" is the only thing they have left to cling to in life & they're clinging hard now.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

They made themselves look bad in the public eye, don't hold me accountable for their behavior.

They are hardly a cult.

cult…

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Thats what the government will say after they burn them all to death.

Wouldn't be the first time ether now, would it?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What do you want me to say?

I believe the Bundites are like a cult, or very very firmly on their way to becoming one, and you don't.

Does that summarize the debate going on?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

That reference to God is also ridiculing and a distraction form their stated purpose. They're demonstrating against government practices, it doesn't matter what religion they practice. I get the need to foment religious bigotry though, The Nazis used it proceeding WWII and the US main stream news uses it to foment hate towards Islam.

Now the narrative seeks to use it to dehumanize these people in Oregon.

I commend you on your thinking.

Of course they're grasping at straws, and producing specious propaganda at the very same time. Given that they have nothing to compare this protest with, they are busy generating a straw man so that they can continue to knock it down, while at the same time saying very little about the actual people and protestors, whom they know very little about.

We've heard the term terrorists, wealthy ranchers, cult, extremists, and various other pejoratives used to define them, not describe them. I think it's safe to say the've dehumanized them enough to justify nearly any action against them.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Just posting this FTR...

Last night the Pete Santilli YT channel was live streaming, I missed much of it, but you can watch what was broadcast now here:

It's over 4 hours long, but the first hour is very intriguing...

Santilli was at that hospital, trying to film/document from that location... a brief while in, some locals informed Pete that the folks at the takeover location had a certain amount of time to leave peacefully...

Pete was trying desperately to convince whoever was at the compound to stand down, leave.. and was trying to get permission to go up there and end this... It seems someone up there, who took charge was having none of that, and Pete begged the guy to allow him to come up and at least get the women and children out...

Pete was obviously distressed, so he continued to a road block area, in an effort to secure permission to help end this since Ammon Bundy was in custody....

A few minutes later, Pete was taken into custody...

Take a look at the first 45-60 mins and post what your observations are of the same video..

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Any updates?

Or is it just a thread of people bashing these guys for trespassing and wanting their heads chopped off?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Did Pete have a warrant out for his arrest also? Why was he arrested? I won't be able to watch 4 hours but thanks very much Jack for the summary.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

In my very personal opinion, they may not have begun as a cult, but they're becoming one bit by bit, day by day. It's like the "mission" is the only thing they have left to cling to in life & they're clinging hard now.

Thats because the brainwashing in the news media is twisting their stand to one of crazy, religious, cultish, with a mission, "day by day, bit by bit".

It will help when they actually start shooting, everyone will go, yep just like Waco, them crazy, religious gun nuts…

Won't be to far from the line they are already using to blow up the arrest earlier. "Suicide by cop" and "never take me alive" statements mean automatically the guy the government killed on a road side (driving to a speech) obviously deserved to be killed.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I only know that according to a local reporters tweet, that he was being charged the same or similar to those who were already taken into custody at the traffic stop scene...

I just thought that the first segment of that 4 hr video, showed that Pete wanted it to end, wanted to go up there last night and talk down the remaining folks at the compound..

Perhaps, it was already beyond Pete helping, perhaps taking Pete into custody was to protect him from possibly getting into a situation that he really had no control over?

I don't know.... I just hope that this ends peacefully.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
That is not "trespassing"...That is terrorism...and just because you or others might agree with them, makes it no less a terrorist action...do you not think that ISIS has people that agree with their grievances?

Round up a bunch of people with guns and seize and occupy lands with a military force...I stop caring about what you are complaining about.

And "protestor"??? Protestors stop being protestors when they start carrying guns, seizing land and buildings and setting up defenses.

I don't know why this gets lost, as the official definition of terrorism is readily available for all to see via the same interwebs through which we participate on this site. From the FBI's own (emphasis mine):

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:
Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
◾Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
◾Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

Nothing that these guys did, up until yesterday, involved acts that were dangerous to human life. Period. Yes, there was potentially danger because of the amount of weapons and the tactics that they were using, but the danger was not actively present until yesterday's interaction. What the other remaining people do who are still in a stand-off at the compound may dictate whether or not the occupation--which is what it currently is--becomes an act of terrorism.

It's a detail, but one worth noting, as the rhetoric behind calling these "patriots" (I don't like that term, either) terrorists makes those doing so appear very ignorant to definitions and the law.
edit on 27-1-2016 by SlapMonkey because: the first amendment

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join