It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

...But I'll defend to the death, your right to say it...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpartan
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

First decrying what you didn't comprehend and now assuming I must be a radical because I won't die for the people I've highlighted.

No because you are obviously threatening with violence, be it by proxy. The message is clear.

The message is clear, your reading comprehension on the other hand is abysmal to say the least.

I will not put my life on the line for racists or homophobes or any hate incentivised individual

Can't be much clearer than that. Maybe you could quote the specific "threat of violence" I espoused.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I find it offensive because you are advocating that we kill people for speech.

I also find it offensive because you are labeling people based on speech alone.

It's part of the problem with political correctness in that it can hang labels on people simply for things they say which may or may not indicate that they are anything of the sort.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
How exactly is a statement of refusal to "die for other people's rights" a threat?

How is an individual's acknowledgement that they're holding themselves to a higher standard of honesty than is evidenced among the blow-hard ideologues Charlie is referring to a threat?

Some of you are so transparent it's sickening.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

...no one else should have it

Now you're clearly making things up, so I don't know where we go from here.

I'll bid you adieu.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What's interesting is that many would defend your right to say what you want. Regardless how they feel about your ideology.

Would they though?
Really and honestly?

So when I start calling for Sharia Law and the masses rise up to put an end to the radicalism you'll be there to defend my life?

I heartily laugh at such an assumption.

When your speech infringes on my rights, then it stops being free speech.

You are aware of the difference, aren't you?

Yes I am.
What's the difference in me saying I want Sharia Law (argumentatively not literally) and some racist saying "lesser races should be slaves" or that Gay people "should be allowed to wed"...
They're also an infringement of rights eventually...

And they're precisely the sort of things I was talking about in my OP.

Too bad the victims popped up affronted by my freedom of speech.

Just so we're clear, now I've elaborated... you wouldn't defend my right to free speech to the death.
Why didn't you say that in your first post instead of being caught out.

That's true. I won't defend your right to remove my freedoms.

You got me.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think I know what the problem really is...Someone misses the ignore button!

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

And you are judging them based on speech.

What if you walked by me and another person having an intense conversation. You happen to hear just a snatch of it and one of the words you make out if the "n" word. You have no context for the conversation, but you automatically label us racists based on the word alone.

You have no clue what we were discussing or why.

Turns out we were a couple of inner city classroom teachers discussing how to teach Mark Twain to our students. But since you weren't in on the conversation, you had no way to know that. We are actually about the furthest thing from racist out there, but you will always think of us as racist.

This is the problem with labeling someone based on speech.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Quaint...
But...
...Well... Pardon me, that won't be happening.

Not from my end anyways...

If you want to die for your racist outbursts...
Or your xenophobia, homophobia, or any type of incessant hatred... You crack on, pal...
That's your decision, good luck fighting the good fight, hehe...

But no, don't expect me and my sword/gun to drop a single persons blood to defend you while you do so...
You do so at your own risk.

Capiche.
Comprende.
Overstand me, sir/madam...

Aside from a couple of demographics, you're are the lowest common denominator of the low...

You are, politely putting it, scumbags.

You don't deserve good people to put their life and limb at risk for your "right" to be an arsehole of the highest calibre...

Differing opinions are welcome, and ironically I'll defend your right to a different opinion to the death...
Just not those who cross the line between human, and divider...

Quite a conundrum to say the least.
But not cryptic enough to confuse.

Good day.

You are absolutely right. People arguing with you who are racist, homophobic, xenophobic (etc) know you are absolutely right. They are insecure and know they are wrong, it is a learned defense mechanism for a brain that did not develop properly. They have always known 'something is amiss', but can't fix it. I applaud your going through the comments, but it is a losing battle.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

And you are exhibit #1 who will be happy to carry out Charlie's little experiment.

Just remove the people you don't like. And I'm sure after you've offed a few million all the rest will be perfectly happy.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

First they came for the racists and nobody gave a toss...

Then they came for the homophobes and nobody gave a toss...

Then they came for the paedos and nobody gave a toss...

Then everybody else lived happily ever after.

Then you should have no problem when people criticize your religion for the exact same reasons.

I don't complain when people criticise Islam.

If I see something flagrantly fallacious, I'll point it out.
Other than that it's not worth my time to cry about criticism.

Especially when the message of the Prophet was "if someone comes in your direction and is rude or unbearable, bid them peace"...

So, Salam.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And you are judging them based on speech.

What if you walked by me and another person having an intense conversation. You happen to hear just a snatch of it and one of the words you make out if the "n" word. You have no context for the conversation, but you automatically label us racists based on the word alone.

You have no clue what we were discussing or why.

Turns out we were a couple of inner city classroom teachers discussing how to teach Mark Twain to our students. But since you weren't in on the conversation, you had no way to know that. We are actually about the furthest thing from racist out there, but you will always think of us as racist.

This is the problem with labeling someone based on speech.

I said I wouldn't defend someone based on speech...

Particularly because I'm not the biggest fan of The Rights To Ought fallacy...

I never even suggested I would start culling the populace.

Absurdity has reached new levels when you lot can extrapolate that from a quite innocent, even if thought provoking OP.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Seems like a reasonable position to me...

You are, I assume, not representing any governmental body, but solely yourself. Therefore, if that assumption is correct, the 1st Amendment does not come into play.

I do not see where you are making any threats of violence, in fact quite the opposite... you seem to be saying you will not engage in violence to defend the people you are talking about. That sounds fine to me, to state you will not engage in violence.

You make no statements about laws restricting such speech, more than it is already. Such an action would bring the 1st Amendment into the subject, but you didn't do that.

The last section of the post presents your opinion of racists, etc. to which you have the right.

Very interesting and thought-provoking post.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Running out of rebuttals is an indication of failed ideals.

snap, crackle, pop.

The ice breaks when thin.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Can't be much clearer than that. Maybe you could quote the specific "threat of violence" I espoused.

Ok.

If you want to die for your racist outbursts...

You are obviously suggesting that people are going to die because of things they said. Things you obviously don't like.

This is completely transparant.

I like how you add that you will be looking the other way.

Like having the last laugh.

Why, because your religion and prophet are getting, not even insulted, but exposed. And now you expose yourself.

edit on 26-1-2016 by NeoSpartan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

a reply to: ketsuko

Racism and homophobia are politically correct nowadays lol

That's precisely my point and it must have flown over your head.

Just like anyone that doesn't think exactly like you is probably a racist or a homophobe...

No your a racist and a homophobe if you behave like one,you don't understand that?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's true. I won't defend your right to remove my freedoms. You got me.

But it is only speech how could it remove your freedoms? Can you explain how it affects you if he uses his right to freedom of speech to call for sharia law ...

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I don't complain when people criticise Islam.

If I see something flagrantly fallacious, I'll point it out.
Other than that it's not worth my time to cry about criticism.

Especially when the message of the Prophet was "if someone comes in your direction and is rude or unbearable, bid them peace"...

So, Salam.

And when a Hadith tells we should through the gays from minarets? Or the relationship of your prophet to children? The treatment of women as second class citizens? Perhaps in their destruction you will be equally as unmotivated to defend them.

Salam.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Running out of rebuttals is an indication of failed ideals.

snap, crackle, pop.

The ice breaks when thin.

I'm still here and people are now making things up to argue against my point...

I think I'll be alright.

Not to mention you have said nothing worth rebutting.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So let's say there is a fire....and a person that you have labeled as such is caught in it.

You are in a position to save their life, at possible risk of your own.

Are you saying that you would not risk your life for them?

That because of their beliefs, brainwashing or upbringing that may make them the way they are is so bad, that you instead would let them die instead?

So, if instead, the person caught in the fire is just like you...or is someone you like, or that you think has the proper way of thought....they are worthy of saving.....

Anyone else however......you'd instead just let them die?

If that's true: would you care to explain to me what the difference between you and them are? Sorry, but it seems they would feel the same way about you......so how are you any different?

I'd like to hear an explanation.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure he doesn't follow the Hadith , I could be wrong, But I think I've seen him write that before.
.a reply to: LesMisanthrope

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join