It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Straw that breaks the camel's back

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
In the past revolt happened when food intake dropped below 800 calories per day for the population, and so I do not see that happening for a very long time.

LOL

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Traditionally the left are the reactionaries. Its even how the term "left" came into being during the french revolution. The calls do seem to be loudest from the right currently but possibly because the bait being used is based around cultural tensions and fears.

I was thinking earlier about how easy it is for us to describe the ways in which we disagree with our political opposition but seldom do Americans focus on the issues that we can agree upon. When we do we become bogged down in the ideological methods used to arrive at a goal. Perhaps a thread should be made in which we try to find commonality with the issues . Try to see if there is some type of issues that regardless of affiliation everyone as a citizen could agree on.

I have tried to start a couple of those threads in the past, no interest, everyone would rather argue right/left. I am a left leaning independent, but feel like our programs need to be reformed from the top down. My biggest disappointment with Obama, he promised that, but has in no way delivered.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Any "revolution" will be completely staged. Another poster hit it on the head about race being a possible motivator. Stir up enough unrest to call for some kind of gun confiscation and possibly outside (U.N./Canada/Mexico?) intervention. What the instigated race war doesn't do the confiscation will and the place will be a mad house.

People should be urging for massive reform not revolution. Revolutions or civil wars create power vacuums that generally don't attract the best people.

This dovetails into another thought I had earlier in the week regarding authoritarian fascism/tyranny. They seem to come about as a needed response even if they generally do not result in a more free society. Seems like after the corruption which all democracies succumb to that the only answer is an abrupt usually heavy handed course correction. I am not in favor of fascism but I definitely see any scenario that results in a revolution at this point leading to just that.

A Faux revolt, interesting. How does a person determine if its a true revolution or its staged? It seems people get really heated about race and the such, so how could people keep a clear head, and see through the illusion?

I actually think he is right, the US is split about 50/50 on most every issue, but it only seems to be the far right calling for revolt, please explain that one to me.

Personally I take an independent stance on a lot of issues, as I can pull ideas from both sides of the isle. Maybe the ones riding the gravy train are content and just don't see a true problem.. either through ignorance, or apathy. It would be interesting to see if democrats feel like the country is headed in the wrong direction or not. Remember, the media likes to spin both sides so they can keep up the BS. Maybe Americans would find a common ground regardless of party lines.

I am independent as well, and as I have told, even some of the more neo-con members on this site, I am pretty sure that you and I could solve more than a couple of problems over a beer.

Congress is an f'n joke, everyone of those asshats need to be sent packing.

I'm all for dumping career politicians and get some fresh new minds at the helm. I feel like progress has been stifled for many years because of career politicians. Ultimately its up to the voters to elect local officials that know how to lead, that can work their way into the ranks.

Unfortunately, the system is designed to keep the left / right fighting, and ignore the rational guy in the middle lol.

This is a sad reality. Local officials scare the f out of me, because they have the ability to affect my life far more than state wide or national elected officials.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Any "revolution" will be completely staged. Another poster hit it on the head about race being a possible motivator. Stir up enough unrest to call for some kind of gun confiscation and possibly outside (U.N./Canada/Mexico?) intervention. What the instigated race war doesn't do the confiscation will and the place will be a mad house.

People should be urging for massive reform not revolution. Revolutions or civil wars create power vacuums that generally don't attract the best people.

This dovetails into another thought I had earlier in the week regarding authoritarian fascism/tyranny. They seem to come about as a needed response even if they generally do not result in a more free society. Seems like after the corruption which all democracies succumb to that the only answer is an abrupt usually heavy handed course correction. I am not in favor of fascism but I definitely see any scenario that results in a revolution at this point leading to just that.

A Faux revolt, interesting. How does a person determine if its a true revolution or its staged? It seems people get really heated about race and the such, so how could people keep a clear head, and see through the illusion?

I actually think he is right, the US is split about 50/50 on most every issue, but it only seems to be the far right calling for revolt, please explain that one to me.

Personally I take an independent stance on a lot of issues, as I can pull ideas from both sides of the isle. Maybe the ones riding the gravy train are content and just don't see a true problem.. either through ignorance, or apathy. It would be interesting to see if democrats feel like the country is headed in the wrong direction or not. Remember, the media likes to spin both sides so they can keep up the BS. Maybe Americans would find a common ground regardless of party lines.

I am independent as well, and as I have told, even some of the more neo-con members on this site, I am pretty sure that you and I could solve more than a couple of problems over a beer.

I'm all for dumping career politicians and get some fresh new minds at the helm. I feel like progress has been stifled for many years because of career politicians. Ultimately its up to the voters to elect local officials that know how to lead, that can work their way into the ranks.

Unfortunately, the system is designed to keep the left / right fighting, and ignore the rational guy in the middle lol.

This is a sad reality. Local officials scare the f out of me, because they have the ability to affect my life far more than state wide or national elected officials.

Indeed. Corruption runs deep in the great ol US of A. It's like everybody is trying to get their name in history, no matter how it affects others.
edit on 1/26/2016 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Indeed. Corruption runs deep in the great ol US of A. It's like everybody is trying to get their name in history, no matter how it affects others.

If we got together, to create a political entity, being executed for corruption would probably be high on both of our lists.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

If we got together, to create a political entity, being executed for corruption would probably be high on both of our lists.

Sounds fair lol.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I do taxes for a living, and have some fairly wealthy clients, democrats and republicans. All are shaking their heads wondering who the f they are going to vote for this cycle. Even one I thought was a Hillary fan, told me he has disconnected until the general.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Sounds fair lol.

Research what you are voting on would be high on my list. I have no room in my life for ignorant folks.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You have no idea man, don't mention my credibility until you come to California and South Florida where there are millions and millions of migrants. He'll go to any state on the border.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

You have no idea man, don't mention my credibility until you come to California and South Florida where there are millions and millions of migrants. He'll go to any state on the border.

While none of us disagree that there are migrants, claiming 50 million, in a country with a population of 330 million, is a bit overboard, and causes some to question your credibility.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Unfortunately, the system is designed to keep the left / right fighting, and ignore the rational guy in the middle

I think that's very true. It's in the nature of the system, more or less designed with speed bumps to prevent radical change.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Unfortunately, the system is designed to keep the left / right fighting, and ignore the rational guy in the middle

I think that's very true. It's in the nature of the system, more or less designed with speed bumps to prevent radical change.

The middle fights the left/right swing with there vote. The vocal 15% on each end keep screaming louder, but the middle is stronger than them, we will see what happens, but I am thinking a beer summit would be more useful than congress.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I will again mention that your credibility is at question. You stated that there were 50 million immigrants from South America and China. That statement of yours is patently absurd. It's not true. It's beyond hyperbole. Do the math. I don't need to come to California (even though I have recently been there and will be there again in a couple of weeks, so so much for your theory) to realize that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You don't have the facts at hand, and that means that anything you say, frankly, is open to question and subject to being verified. If you are so completely afield in this claim of yours, what about everything else you have said?

This "argument" was originally about what it would take for Americans to "revolt." My contention here is that it won't happen, and I agree with the OP about the reasons why it won't. These veiled threats to the contrary started out as not really all that supportable and have wound up to be just silly.

Besides, you're a recent immigrant to California yourself, are you not?

P.S. They have really strict gun laws!

The middle fights the left/right swing with there vote. The vocal 15% on each end keep screaming louder, but the middle is stronger than them, we will see what happens, but I am thinking a beer summit would be more useful than congress.

Hope it's a good local craft beer, not Miller Lite.
edit on 1/26/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

I will again mention that your credibility is at question. You stated that there were 50 million immigrants from South America and China. That statement of yours is patently absurd. It's not true. It's beyond hyperbole. Do the math. I don't need to come to California (even though I have recently been there and will be there again in a couple of weeks, so so much for your theory) to realize that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You don't have the facts at hand, and that means that anything you say, frankly, is open to question and subject to being verified. If you are so completely afield in this claim of yours, what about everything else you have said?

This "argument" was originally about what it would take for Americans to "revolt." My contention here is that it won't happen, and I agree with the OP about the reasons why it won't. These veiled threats to the contrary started out as not really all that supportable and have wound up to be just silly.

Besides, you're a recent immigrant to California yourself, are you not?

P.S. They have really strict gun laws!

Hope it's a good local craft beer, not Miller Lite.

Miller Lite is not fit for man or beast, at the very least it would be Sam Adams, or Fat Tire.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7
Meh there's nothing going on here. Pass the beer and Cheetos. No wonder the US is a mess.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Meh there's nothing going on here. Pass the beer and Cheetos. No wonder the US is a mess.

There is actually much going on here, no left/right hate, just a chat. That is something to embrace in today's America.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

There is actually much going on here, no left/right hate, just a chat. That is something to embrace in today's America.

Exactly, I left this as an open ended discussion for both sides. I was pretty sure there would be a common ground somewhere. This is a complex issue, and doesn't really seem to have 1 single answer. I appreciate all the input so far, it helps give us a general idea.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Exactly, I left this as an open ended discussion for both sides. I was pretty sure there would be a common ground somewhere. This is a complex issue, and doesn't really seem to have 1 single answer. I appreciate all the input so far, it helps give us a general idea.

I think there are many of us who could sit down over a few beers, and solve a lot of what is wrong with our government right now. The middle has the ideas, but the right and left are screaming so loud, we can't be heard

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

There's tens of millions of immigrants who have come to the US in the past two decades and you can deny it all you want it's the absolute truth.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

There's tens of millions of immigrants who have come to the US in the past two decades and you can deny it all you want it's the absolute truth.

You really need to provide a source for your information.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join