It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men with more than one wife will get extra benefits under new rules

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I can't imagine why any guy would want that level of headache but it's not like people are going to start importing wives into the UK en masse.

You can legally bring in one spouse if you meet the requirements but any additional wives would have to either obtain a visa on their own merit or already be here as British citizens/have permanent residency. They'd need permanent residency minimum to qualify for those types of benefits.

Section 11(d) of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 is pretty specific about what is and isn't valid in regards to polygamous marriage. The degree of hoop jumping required to pull this off makes it almost moot as the way the government views marriages conducted abroad in countries where polygamy is common tends to be that they aren't recognised as legal anyway.

This seems to be one of those things the media jumps on that isn't going to be practical to enforce or even be a legit issue beyond a few cases.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
In the UK, Bigamy is an offence. So, this issue relates only to those followers of certain religions that allow multiple wives.
I was under the impression that the law of the land trumped any religious law? As such, why is this even being discussed?
If followers of one religion have their "religious right" to take multiple wives upheld, then surely the whole law needs changed to allow this to ALL, otherwise it becomes unfair to others.

However, what of those who arrive in the UK as immigrants, asylum seekers etc, and then bring over wife #1 and the kids, followed by wife #2 and the kids....etc....etc?
It's all very well saying we must support them, but I, as a hard working average guy am thoroughly pissed off with paying for others. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem (kinda) with paying my taxes and national insurance, as I always have done since I left school and started work at age 16, 35 years ago, but why am I paying for people who have never, and never will, contribute to society yet expect society to support them?
There's a fat cow in the council provided flat below mine who has never worked, and pops out a new sprog every few years, by different fathers, just to avoid having to get a job. She is currently at number 5 and receives benefits for everything. She has never paid into the system but is "entitled" to those benefits? Where do these people think the money comes from?

So, back to supporting some guy's multiple wives / families. I'm sorry, but NO!
One wife / family and no more. If they want more, move somewhere that it is legal.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Its against UK law to have more than one wife or husband. The UK is governed by British Law and everyone living under that law should have equal rights. The extra wifes and husbands are breaking the law and in no way should be recognised let alone given extra miney. It is an unjust and unequal ruling a d completely unfair to British people who uphold the law.

The British system does noy however have any laws rrgarding how many children a person can have and therefore your argument is nonsical. The only ruling has been to say child tax credits will only be paid for 2 children which I think is right and fair. If some choose to have 10 children that is their choice but with that choice comes responsibility. If they cant afford to feed and clothe that many children then they shouldnt have them. It is not fair for taxpayers to have to pay for being irresponsible.

If people want to live under Sharish Law then they should leave and go to a Country wherr this is practiced and if they refusd to adhere to the laws of the Country then they should be forced to leave.a reply to: Discotech

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Thankyou for that. I appreciate it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join