It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Setting the "Doomsday Clock"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
a reply to: the owlbear

It was already set at 3 minutes to midnight last year.

I agree with other comments...2 minutes sounds likely. 1 minute would cause too much alarm! (Hmmm...maybe that will motivate the world to change)

But that three minutes was also based on environmental global warming stuff.

But I agree, maybe moving it to one minute would make it relevant again and maybe make people take notice. Although I hate the whole dwell on doomsday thing, the weapons we have created make total annihilation of Life on earth a feasible concept. Fear should not be the thing that keeps people in line.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

I agree with other comments...2 minutes sounds likely. 1 minute would cause too much alarm! (Hmmm...maybe that will motivate the world to change)

But I agree, maybe moving it to one minute would make it relevant again and maybe make people take notice. Although I hate the whole dwell on doomsday thing, the weapons we have created make total annihilation of Life on earth a feasible concept. Fear should not be the thing that keeps people in line.

You were right about the 3 minutes. (Seems we posted at the same time.) The other reason being that they viewed the deal with Iran to be good news.
edit on 26-1-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Sometime before Trump wins the election. I predict the power grid will be attacked and a state of emergency will be declared. Better start digging through the internet and finding ways to survive at least 18 months of no electricity or motorized transportation. And no, I'm not joking.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Sometime before Trump wins the election. I predict the power grid will be attacked and a state of emergency will be declared. Better start digging through the internet and finding ways to survive at least 18 months of no electricity or motorized transportation. And no, I'm not joking.

I Have some preps in place and a good bit of information to draw on when needed. I hope it doesnt come to that, but who knows the way things are going...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
They will keep it where it at. I think it should be wound back. The reality is the US is the only country that has nuked a country in war. There is a lot of posturing about using them but everyone also knows the fallout from using such weapons. The US seem to be the center of attention for targeting by Russia and North Korea. The reality is the US has a total-retaliation policy. If someone launches a nuke at us we launch ours back. That would be the end. People will vie for the "biggest dog" position but so far nobody has taken action beyond building an arsenal. I think we are further from the point of destruction than the media propaganda actually posts. We only get sound bites and images of events. What happens behind closed doors. We have other technologies that are coming and the world will not be as doom and gloom as we are told. Just a personal opinion... oh, and if we do hit midnight, why worry? Nothing you and I can do about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I agree about Hillary. After all, she had her 3am phone call once and told everyone to stand down because she needed her beauty sleep.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You were right about the 3 minutes. (Seems we posted at the same time.) The other reason being that they viewed the deal with Iran to be good news.

I took the Iran thing into consideration since Israel is an unstable nuclear power that could go unchained pit bull just because they feel like it, but the repercussions would be far worse...and that's why everyone ignores them as they do North Korea.

That's why the hands don't move.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

originally posted by: LSU0408

I Have some preps in place and a good bit of information to draw on when needed. I hope it doesnt come to that, but who knows the way things are going...

With the most outdated grid and most unsecure, don't be too shocked my friend. I've been printing articles and ideas out for safe keeping just in case.

www.viewzone.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, it seems they didn't change it. Let's take a look, here...

In 2002 they lost 2 minutes because there was no progress on nuclear disarmament worldwide.
In 2007 they lost 2 minutes because north korea tested a nuke, and no real progress on nuclear disarmament as well as climate change being added to the clock.
In 2012 they lost one minute due to a lack of anyone doing anything about climate change, nuke stockpiles, and a lack of nuclear power safety (fukushima was 2011)
In 2015 they dropped 2 minutes because once again, no changes to global climate change, and as a species we continue to make bigger badder nukes- and stockpile them.

2016... no change. Guess they don't want to cause panic- maybe next year they'll drop another minute, but my guess is we'll all be dead before the clock strikes -1.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Hope this works

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

India and Pakistan waving their very phallic shaped missiles at each other's borders in renewed heated conflict.

As amusing as sword fights can be, I dont think this one will be funny in the end...no pun intended...

I think you are well focused on your suspect motivations.

For the last 20 years or so, I have always thought if anyone in the world drops a nuclear weapon on another state it would be between these two. I still do. Because life will continue on around the globe. If modern audiences could see the real time results of a nuclear exchange over the Internet, maybe then the world would be a little less gung ho about super hot and melty chromosome altering destruction.

Unfortunately too many people actually believe in the deterrence effect of nukes. Quite how the likes of North Korea with enough underground facilities and tunnelling (confirmed by our own security services) would be deterred by nukes that it can survive is beyond my ability to understand. It's dumb. We have Russia with all their Oligarchs assets in the West , especially London property and football clubs, and yet Putin would be willing to nuke it all if the UK didn't have Trident.....sorry I don't get that either.

Biggest worry : ISIS with a nuke. No amount of deterrence will stop them from using it.

Only defense against ISIS with a nuke : Make damn sure they cannot get one in the first place by all western govs abiding by nuclear non proliferation treaties. OMG abide by signed agreements whatever next!!!!!

P.S. This mean disarmament by the way NOT replacement. Replacement/renewal breaks the terms of the treaties.
edit on 26/1/2016 by yorkshirelad because: ps

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Meh, we're all gonna suffocate due to ocean acidification within a century or two, max... no nukes needed, but good we have back up if our pollution doesn't do it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have to say I am pretty surprised that they didnt change the clock. I think, all things considered, that we are much worse off than a year ago... Could this be a manipulation also?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: errorcode
I was going to post that but you beat me to it lol. Good one!

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
One minute.

Even Kerry is admitting that Iran will use the money we gave them for terror.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I hit the snooze button

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I posted the lyrics so that people could see the message rather than hear the song... also how could I resist

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Doomsday clock daylight savings??
Just a thought

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: errorcode
Doomsday clock daylight savings??
Just a thought

Omg lol

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Actually, it amazes me that we’ve made it this far without blowing ourselves to smithereens. It’s a bummer being so cynical, but considering the state of human affairs and it’s ever growing destructive capabilities, I just can’t imagine the Optimist Club being overrun by new memberships.

When you think about it we (humans) lead a very fragile, precarious existence. In the first place, we’ve become slaves to our technology. One direct hit by a CME (coronal mass ejection) would bring us to the brink. With major power grids, communications and GPS satellites all fried, we would be devastated. Society, the financial industry and the military would virtually collapse. In short, we’d be hosed. Secondly, a terrorist group will eventually secure a nuke. I’m convinced of it. And it wouldn’t have to be a high-yield device. Remember the damage done to the American psyche, as well as the impact it had on certain sectors of our economy, when 9/11 occurred? Now imagine the consequences of a 10-20 kiloton nuke being detonated in NYC or Washington, DC. Again, we’re toast. Third, it’s not only terrorists we should fear. The greatest threat of all may come from within. A nuclear exchange between major world powers is quite feasible. It could be triggered by conflicts in the M.E., for instance. And AGAIN, we’re screwed. This time royally. Time to get fitted for a caveman/cavewoman outfit.

That’s just a few, amongst many, possibilities. Our demise could come in the form of a Doomsday virus (not so farfetched), unforseen consequencies of genetic/DNA manipulation, climate change, comet/astroid strike, out-of-control autonomous artificial intelligence, a super volcano eruption, a quantum flux, etc., etc., etc. The list is long and disturbing. As time, and technology, moves on the world gets increasingly complicated, which means the odds of something going wrong also increases. It’s only a matter of time.

2 or 3 minutes til midnight sounds about right to me.

Have a nice day...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join