It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia claims HYPERSONIC fighter

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Nah, the girls weren't overly interested.

Fifteen bombers in one evening is our high. We routinely dealt with 12+ fighters plus tankers. They always traveled in groups of six, with one to two tankers.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Fast like a NASCAR.

That's pretty cool about your U2 days. Just by helping out with the landing gear you've probably had an indirect roll in history changing intel collection.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gpols

It was a lot of fun too. You don't realize how light they are until you see a guy pick the wing up, or hop up and grab the high side and pull the entire aircraft level.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

so15 b52s in one night. thats 1.2 billion dollars worth of equipment. meanwhile some jerk jock is getting all the girls with "my dad owns a dealership. we sell bmw's. they're each like 50 grand apiece. "

while your jumping up and down going. "wtf! hello! b52s!"

girls I tell you. well at least you got a good one now.

edit on 26-1-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Sounds like one of those jobs where once you did it you knew that's what you you wanted to be involved with for the rest of your life.

The Russians should value your opinion when it comes this Hyper-sonic fighter.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Getting em in and out was a bitch and a half. Base Ops had two radio equipped vehicles that could follow them and tell them where to turn to keep from taking out taxi lights. They'd land and stack them up in pairs, pick them up with either the van or the car, get them to Hickam where the trucks would get them to whatever parking spots we had available, and head back to get the next pair.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

as for me I still woulda tried to sneak the girls onto the apron and get some. probably throw a tarp over a Cessna and tell them some line like "this baby here is the THX2000! ....No,no I can't let you take a peak, she's top secret"

chick with eyes like saucers "woooow!!!"

"yeah the brass here Said I'm the only one with the experience to watch over her, very top secret."

and that's how I'd score with the prom queen. if I were zaph, and got to work on a air force base instead of working at a nursery and stocking shelves at the corner store.
edit on 26-1-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It's amazing what you learn out there. And some of the work on different planes makes you want to hunt down the engineer that worked on the design and beat the holy crap out of them.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

The TWO here that would KNOW say there AIN'T NO such animal..it has a different name and they aren't gonna tell.
Something about BREATHING...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

We all can't be Zaph. Some of us have to stock the shelves or make sure the cacti are watered so someone else can look important. I'm right there with you I would have definitely tried to log some high flyer miles in a B-52 or something.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I can only imagine. That's engineers for you though. Everything looks good on paper when you aren't the one tasked to fix it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There's an anti skid wire on the F-16, that requires a magnifying glass to see, but where it's positioned, you need a flashlight and mirror, because it's positioned on top of the brake system, and it's so small you can't just use the mirror.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Now you gotta play engineer and build a tool to fix the wire that couldn't be moved to a better place because the structural integrity of the aircraft would be compromised, on paper.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

And swear a lot.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Right now no one can. They still have the 8 minute barrier to solve.

Zaph, could you explain what this "8 minute barrier" is?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot
The program evolved far enough for live test firing at Mach 3 before it was canceled.

This is genuinely interesting to me. I thought there were a lot of issues with separation at supersonic speeds. This might be a dumb question but are there other examples of missile launches above mach 1?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Attaching and recovering them after take off.

Wow, that's pretty rad. About the coolest teenage thing I got to do was be the local Voice of the Corps of Engineers on Norad days.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: wirehead

Right now no one can. They still have the 8 minute barrier to solve.

Zaph, could you explain what this "8 minute barrier" is?

Getting something moving at mach 20 tends to destroy the plane and engine. 8 minutes and you hear a BOOM and parts start raining down from thr sky. Problem is thr heat that builds up in thr engine and the stress moving at mach 20 and the heat that you have no where to release. Think what happens to a meteor they get really hot melt and sometimes explode. Russia is so far away from this they might as well be drafting thr death star on paper. But wait I'm sure RT will tell us Russia will have that by 2025.
edit on 1/27/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
It appears to me that the article was authored by sputnik writers.Credibility denied.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: cavtrooper7

At Mach 4+ it won't do much 'fighting'. Fighters have to be able to turn to fight.

It's supposedly a bomber interceptor like the MIG-31 before it..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join