It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi Gun-Store Owner and Son Die in Shootout with Customers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Unarmed store owners are killed by armed robbers, but that isn't worth a thread on ATS. Since the store was a gun store, it is news.
I do not think that getting into a fistfight over 25 bucks is worth it.
I would hand my pocket money over to an armed robber if they had the drop on me, before getting into a gunfight that I might lose. It all comes down to the circumstances at the time.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

These guys aren't true americans, if they were, they'd have taken it into court. lol

All jest aside, I get the anger about having to pay for something that wasn't fixed, but I also get why they'd want to get paid even though it was past their expertise to fix. They really should've just taken it to court, but nope, now they're dead.

It's people like this, doing things like this, that's slowly getting me to change my stance on gun control. I'm not too far from thinking we do need to lose our guns. :

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Unarmed store owners are killed by armed robbers, but that isn't worth a thread on ATS. Since the store was a gun store, it is news.
I would hand my pocket money over to an armed robber if they had the drop on me, before getting into a gunfight that I might lose. It all comes down to the circumstances at the time.

Their were no robbers involved. This was a dispute over a $25 fee that might have ended in shoving match but, for some reason ended up with everybody shooting.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile
It's people like this, doing things like this, that's slowly getting me to change my stance on gun control. I'm not too far from thinking we do need to lose our guns. :

Most gun crime is from people who have illegally obtained the gun

How is banning guns going to stop people illegally obtaining guns ?

In the UK we never had many gun crimes while guns were legal, since we banned guns we still have gun crimes

Handgun crime 'up' despite ban

A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.

We banned guns but gun crime rose by 40% if that's not enough to tell you that banning guns doesn't prevent gun crime then I don't know what is

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: butcherguy

Their were no robbers involved. This was a dispute over a $25 fee that might have ended in shoving match but, for some reason ended up with everybody shooting.

I didn't say there were robbers involved.
My typing the part about a dispute over 25 bucks might have tipped you off.
My point is that an unarmed store owner being shot by an armed robber would barely make local news, but since it is a gun store owner being shot by criminals... (shooting people over a 25 dollar disagreement is a crime) it warrants a thread here.
I thought I was plain enough about it... I guess not.
edit on b000000312016-01-26T10:12:16-06:0010America/ChicagoTue, 26 Jan 2016 10:12:16 -06001000000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That's what, £17.50 in proper currency. Good LORD! That's less than the cost of a burger and three pints of good beer at a less than fantastic pub! These people have to be insane. Twenty to life over twenty five dollars...idiots.

Damn right...twenty to life for the price of a pub feed? that's one parmigiana that they won't enjoy!

edit on 26-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

90% of that 40% was for things like possession, which wouldn't have been illegal two years prior.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
ALL GUN OWNERS ARE MORONS!!!

Isn't that the point of this? That just because we choose to carry a weapon, we are not "civilized" enough to settle an argument without using it? You get stupid people in all walks of life and no, some people should not be carrying a gun, but I see already which direction this thread is headed and it is not toward that fact, but rather toward bashing all gun owners.
Have at it.

Nobody's bashing "all gun owners" and nobody's is saying that "all gun owners are morons," (in all caps) except for you!

"These gun nuts," does not equate to "all gun owners," except for in the mind of someone trying to play the victim card.

I'm a life-long gun owner but I do not choose to "live my life by the gun."

On the other hand, there is a certain sector of the gun rights movement that have chosen to do just that and they are the modern day "gun nuts" that many posters are referring to in this thread.

You know what they say, "Those who live by the sword, shall also die by the sword."

It's a shame that we've allowed fear and victim hood to bring us to the point that we're willing to use deadly force to settle a $25 dispute.
edit on 26-1-2016 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Banning guns won't stop this kind of idiocy from happening, just instead of people being shot to death they'll be getting stabbed to death, or beaten to death with random items or fists.

Getting into a fight whether it's a gun fight, knife fight or fist fight over a charge of $25 is the issue here and we need to be asking the question of why somebody is willing to kill another over a measly $25 and just what the hell is wrong with people that cause them to do this

Exactly! It is the people, not the weapon involved. Not everyone goes around shooting people over something so petty. There are more and more crazy people coming out of the woodwork.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

This is a shame. Surprisingly it's a rare occurrence at a gun store.

What's surprising about it? You have to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic to go shoot up a gun store, where employees and probably half of the customers are carrying and prefer to keep the peace but will draw and fire if necessary.

So, again, what's surprising about it?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

What a bunch in absolutely brain dead people, $25 is totally worth shooting up the place right ?

the fact is that had one of the parties been unarmed, the same # would still happen, it would of just been even worse for the one on the receiving end.

The problem isn't guns, it's the brain dead idiots like the people in this article who hold no value for another's life.

If you want my opinion, irradicate the population of these Neanderthals.

My first thought upon holding a 12 gauge tactical shotgun in my hand was, damn I could kill someone with this by pulling this little trigger, I better avoid pointing it at people carelessly and without regard for who's on the other end, it's common sense dammit!

Has the world just totally devolved into a cesspool of idiocy ? I swear sometimes people on this planet get under my skin.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I'm not stupid, dude, I've been on the pro-gun side for my whole life, so don't try to spout that crap at me. I understand gun crime won't ever go away, because people illegally do it all the time. In fact, it's not that hard to find any illegal things in this country, as long as you know the "right" people. Once I started smoking pot when I was a teen, I was shocked at what you could actually get in the town I grew up in.

I'm slowly changing my tune when it comes to this topic not because of the illegal gun owners, but the irresponsible legal gun owners. Y'know, the people like in this story, who felt that instead of taking it to court would rather shoot the gun owners. Or the gun owners, who instead of just giving the gun go them, then calling the police, would rather open fire as well(granted, we don't fully know details, the gun shop owner may have had no choice).

Or what about the woman who feels it's ok to chase after a thief at home depot and opening fire??

www.washingtonpost.com...

Or what about the man who accidentally shot a woman in a theater, because he was scared of mass shootings??

www.independent.co.uk...

Or this one??

www.insideedition.com...

Now these are just a few examples of bad gun owners, but c'mon, you know they're all over the place. I'm getting tired of stories like these. Yes, there are great gun owners out there, pretty much my whole family are responsible gun owners. But that doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people out there who legally own guns, who really shouldn't own a gun. A quick google search will pretty much give countless examples of what I mean.

Yes, you're right, people can and will obtain what they want illegally, they always have, always will.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Ok but there's still a 10% of that 40% increase which is gun crime, which means there was a 4% increase over whatever the amount already was for gun crime. Which means banning guns didn't drop the crime, it didn't even stay at a steady level, it increased even if 4% is small margin it's still an increase.

People who are going to commit a crime don't really care about laws, if they did they wouldn't be breaking those laws.

a reply to: Necrobile

So your solution is just to ban the objects that result in these crimes ?

Surely a better solution is find the reason why people are resulting to these crimes instead

Banning is not the solution, figuring out what's driving people to do all this and finding a solution to these problems is what we should be doing.

But no it's far easier to just ban inanimate objects and sweep the issues under the rug than confront inherent societal problems
edit on 26/1/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I'm not stupid, dude, I've been on the pro-gun side for my whole life, so don't try to spout that crap at me. I understand gun crime won't ever go away, because people illegally do it all the time. In fact, it's not that hard to find any illegal things in this country, as long as you know the "right" people. Once I started smoking pot when I was a teen, I was shocked at what you could actually get in the town I grew up in.

I'm slowly changing my tune when it comes to this topic not because of the illegal gun owners, but the irresponsible legal gun owners. Y'know, the people like in this story, who felt that instead of taking it to court would rather shoot the gun owners. Or the gun owners, who instead of just giving the gun go them, then calling the police, would rather open fire as well(granted, we don't fully know details, the gun shop owner may have had no choice).

Or what about the woman who feels it's ok to chase after a thief at home depot and opening fire??

Or what about the man who accidentally shot a woman in a theater, because he was scared of mass shootings??

www.independent.co.uk...

Or this one??

www.insideedition.com...

Now these are just a few examples of bad gun owners, but c'mon, you know they're all over the place. I'm getting tired of stories like these. Yes, there are great gun owners out there, pretty much my whole family are responsible gun owners. But that doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people out there who legally own guns, who really shouldn't own a gun. A quick google search will pretty much give countless examples of what I mean.

Yes, you're right, people can and will obtain what they want illegally, they always have, always will.

Are you going to give up your car because there are thousands of people killed every year by drunk drivers and reckless drivers?

Look, there are always going to be idiots. There is nothing we can do about it and I am not going to give up my rights because a small minority of people are stupid. Freedom has its risks.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
a reply to: TrueBrit

The shooter would likely tell you it wasn't about the fee, it was about being disrespected.

The customer must have been a hothead. $25 isn't that big of a deal. The shop owners had to take time out of their schedule to make time to fix the customer's gun, that's at least worth $25. McCool's weren't too cool in this one.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
Literally sounds like something the ptb would drum up to show dangers of open carry.

What "powers-that-be," the NRA? The Gun Lobby? And there was no instance of "open carry" here.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: DAVID64

I am very pro-2nd amendment and believe it is a vital part of what made this country's system great, but I can't help but notice that the gun culture in the US has become a bit loony.

The 2nd amendment is no longer about arming ourselves to protect this country from tyranny. It's more akin to a culture of fashion and bravado. Similar to middle-aged men that like to show off their new sports cars.

The gun nuts in this country are going to ruin our 2nd amendment rights if they continue to go down the path they are currently taking.

Its so interesting to me how guys like you make broad generalizations like this, yet change the subject to Muslims and your opinion turns on a dime.

I understand that all gun owners are the same and I did not generalize all gun owners.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Was it worth 25 bucks?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

www.independent.co.uk...

Or this one??

www.insideedition.com...

What you have is a common logical fallacy.

A judge keeps seeing 16-21 year old men in his court for drinking related crimes, he has been sentencing them for 45 years now. In 45 years they haven't learned yet, so he divided to put a stop to it once and for all. So he gives the maximum to every single one of them from then on.

10 years later he doesn't understand, why haven't they learned their lesson yet? Every day the same number of young men come in for the same charges.

Why hadn't his harder punishment stopped all of it?

Because every day a new young man that hasn't been punished for it is born, and has not yet learned his lesson, that is why.

Yours, just like the judge in my example assumes that it should or even could ever be stopped.

You fail to understand.

A child does not know the lessons their parents learned.

You can tell them, but some things have to be learned the old fashioned way, through experience.

So it is that every single day another comes along that hasn't learned.

You can't ever teach a permanent lesson to humanity.

Because tomorrow sombody will be born that didn't get the memo.

Which is why tougher sentences and punishment will never stop human nature from happening.

It only effects the one person at a time, not society as a whole forever.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Meh........if you don't live in fly over country, what do you care?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join