It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrians feel 'hopeless' as government-sponsored refugees in Toronto, mother says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Wow, that's sad. I'd read somewhere that the "elites" in the US, in response to lack of affordable housing and Climate change are looking into stacked shipping containers as housing units. Maybe Canada should look into that?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale
Sounds like its all political and if the Canadian gov't is anything like the US, they don't much care about native born homeless, but they get brownie points in the International community and the Globalists at the UN for taking in the Syrians.

Actually, none of this makes much sense.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman
a reply to: jacygirl

Will always be the type of people that will jump on anyone, no matter how downtrodden, to make their point.

Too true, Learningman. I don't normally voice my opinions in these threads, but today I've had enough of keeping my mouth shut.

I'm not saying that I love our government or trust them...or that we don't have a lot of people already here who need assistance. I do believe that everyone should be based on "the individual"...not whatever label/group that they get lumped into, be it 'refugee' or 'homeless Canadian'.

We mostly (can't speak for everybody) seem to be quite aware (here), that the majority of us have roots in other countries.

jacy

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Unity_99

Wow, that's sad. I'd read somewhere that the "elites" in the US, in response to lack of affordable housing and Climate change are looking into stacked shipping containers as housing units. Maybe Canada should look into that?

Yes! Facebook is full of small cheap house plans/pics that can be made from various materials.

And no...the Canadian government does not care about native born much at all.

However I don't really believe they care about any of us.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Well, I don't know about Canada, but in the US, its become pretty obvious that the Elites find it cheaper to import talent than it is to groom the native born. What I've wondered is true or not, (but it sure looks it to me) is if its not the case that after 3 or 4 generations on from immigrating to the US/Canada, the later generations seem to be seriously less motivated to improve themselves and to pursue meaningful careers. Its like the brains and motivation get sucked out after numerous generations.

Weird.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

You are exactly right! The more Canadian the kids become...the more entitlement they seem to feel.

The immigrants work really hard, long hours/crappy jobs...live together, work together, buy a home together (or maybe a business). The kids eventually are more 'western' than the parents/grandparents, and want the "North American Dream".
The elders try to keep enforcing their own ethics/rules, etc...but as they die off, the kids want more (and seem to be willing to 'do less' to get it.)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Is there a housing shortage in Canada? Just curious.
They don't want just homes, they need big homes with 4 or 5 bedrooms full of bunkbeds. These are not your average 4 member families. They are 7,8,9 or more. We don't have many homes that size, and they are not cheap.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Glad you feel like using your voice, never be scared to, im sure even those vehemently opposed to your views at least on ATS don't want that, by any measure.

I think if those of us who still feel the need to take in immigrants make it known, we do not mean economic migrants, and that we fully wish to see out own homeless and downtrodden offered at least the same as the immigrants. It is common sense, and it will shake the stigma of the 'far left' who I feel are personally as detrimental to change as the ultra right.

The fact that the U.S. and Canada are almost exclusively migrant countries will pass over the heads of many, even me as a Native Englishman find it hard to make people see our very plain history on the matter, and certain sections fail to see why a refusal to bow to cowardice is an immoral act.
edit on 26/1/2016 by Learningman because: drunk typistry

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21

Is there a housing shortage in Canada? Just curious.
They don't want just homes, they need big homes with 4 or 5 bedrooms full of bunkbeds. These are not your average 4 member families. They are 7,8,9 or more. We don't have many homes that size, and they are not cheap.

In Canada, those ARE your average homes anymore. The big ones.
Every single new subdivision that's gone in around here has been big houses. My partner is in construction...I sold real estate.

Apartments and rentals are ridiculously over-priced. A single room in a boarding house is $500+ month (not even an apt.).
A split-level that went for $29,000 30 years ago is now $350,000.

My own 3 Canadian-born kids all live in enormous houses. I'm in a 1-bedroom apartment.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Thanks Learningman!
I'm actually amazed that I haven't been shot down in flames yet, lol.

I have always stood up for the underdog, all my life....can't see me stopping now.

The problem isn't the people...it's the people in charge of the people.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The jobs that Canadians "won't" ? I am not sure where you call home but in my neck i the woods it seems to be a much different story than yours.
globalnews.ca...
My community has brought in hundreds of foreign workers while the vast majority of locals remain unemployed. My community plans to bring hundreds of refugees in over the next year while literally hundreds have lost there homes and are now forced to (if they're lucky) live in hotels (at their own expense) or in church basements. Others unfortunately are not so lucky. I understand that I am a bit off topic here however, the fact that these people could have the NERVE to complain about their current living situation, that yes, I am paying for, really boils my blood. I am a bleeding heart most of the time but when do WE come first in our own country?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: HushedNoLonger

When do we come first in our own country? Ask the Native Canadians.
I'm not being a jerk, I understand what you're saying.

I'm not sure the refugees are 'complaining' as much as they are traumatized, stressed out...don't speak English/French...never been cold like this...staying in a hotel, not knowing what's next.

I was born in Toronto, live in a small community now. Yes there are lots of hard-working people but yes I do know a lot who say they "won't get outta bed for less than twenty bucks an hour."
I know people working 3 jobs just to survive.
I get a teeny tiny disability for a back injury from an abusive ex-husband. I couldn't survive on it alone.
I have been "homeless", also spent a night in the womens' shelter.

Canada is becoming a country of the rich and the poor. Sucks to be in the poor group.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You should come first, that sounds ultra crappy but I can believe it. Ll I am saying, at least, is that these migrants don't know much of this, only what they were told, which was all the positives that are obvious when escaping a warzone. They doubtfully knew that they were in for such a culture shock, where I'd really dig weeks paid in a nice hotel, they may see it as a prison. But if your area has the issues you mention I would be seething, just at the correct target.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I feel you and I are quite similar. We would most likely agree on many things, this is not one of them. (Remember this is by no means aimed at you) I am sure what you said could be true for some of the refugees, maybe even the majority. These refugees are complaining! About the weather, about the food, about the boxes the food comes in. At what point is it acceptable to "bite the hand that feeds you" and shelters you, and clothes you.... For free! I recently saw a commercial fundraiser for the Syrian refugees stating for just $50 you can feed an entire family for one whole month! And yet our government is handing out something like $50-60 a day per family member for food expenses.... But the food is not good enough and the view is obstructed and..... Where is the line drawn between scared, culture shocked refugee and winey, spoiled, free loading snot bags?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

lol....
I'm usually up for a good debate, with no malice intended.

Okay...I'm pretty sure that the media is completely manipulating the stories to come out as they are. Trudeau is so great! Canada is so great! Come here and be great!
Now, are they complaining to interpreters? (Of course they miss their own food/stuff...where is it now? oh yeah, buried under rubble.)

When you are freshly traumatized, you're not very rational. (Kids are whining, yeah there's cable...no, they don't understand it...)
Also, when you're drowning and someone throws you a rope...you don't always look to see what the other end is attached to.

Their reality is pretty shocking to them right now. They're not all gonna be happy shiny people!
It doesn't mean that our entire country is about to collapse because they are here, either.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Many are seething. In fact the vast majority in Western Canada are chomping at the bit to have their voices heard and their rights renewed. While that conversation is better suited else where, Something seems to be brewing none the less.

My opinion on the OP? I feel that these people should in fact be very grateful to have anything. In some cases more than locals. I am not against accepting refugees, I feel for anyone that is suffering but stories such as this, are not buying them any sympathy.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

It doesn't mean that our entire country is about to collapse because they are here, either.

Only time will tell my dear...

My end of the country has a different opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

No they are buying them exactly opposite, I'd fully agree there. But I put myself in their shoes and I see their point, this is NOT what they expected. (im speaking of the lies told by certain politicians here, not you nor me, I hope you understand)

It is more than enough, but nowhere near what was sold to them. I think it would be pertinent to aim blame at those who gave such ideas, and to take neither extremist vies into account, just to up the game for vetting.

Again, I see no ingrates, I see humans being sold short like so many before them.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Fair point, well made. At the end of the day thats the whole worlds problem! Lies upon lies at our expense, no matter who we are or where we came from. Remind me again why government is a good thing?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

We are pawns. Little pieces that they ship around and move, but don't really care about. We are expendible...collateral damage. That's why I care, because I'm just a nobody like all the other millions of nobody's that the people in charge don't care about.

To be honest, I don't know how my neighbours feel about this topic, because we haven't discussed it. I can only express how I feel. I could be very outnumbered here.

I think the media is trying to cause friction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join