It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitch McConnell Ready To Give President Unlimited War Powers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
From Huffington Post,on Thursday, January 21:

Mitch McConnell Ready To Give President Unlimited War Powers

The GOP leader just unveiled a sweeping war authorization bill and cleared it for a Senate vote.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) caught nearly everybody off guard late Wednesday by quietly clearing the path for new legislation to declare war on the self-described Islamic State -- an issue he'd signaled for months he had no interest in touching.

When the authors use the term "unlimited" war powers, what they mean specifically is:

It wouldn't put any limits on the duration, geography or use of U.S. ground combat troops in the war, or on the means by which the U.S. military could act. It also would keep in place a broad AUMF from 2001 that never expired and that allows the president to take military action against anyone, anywhere, connected to the terrorists behind the 9/11 attacks.

In other words, it's a war authorization that's as wide open as it gets.

Including on U.S. soil, against U.S. citizens, and the indefinite imposition of martial law, even assassination if I'm not mistaken. All at Obama's whim... no checks and balances... no controlling legal authority... and not just Obama, the next president as well. Scary thought, eh? I'm sure everyone can think of at least one candidate that gives them the heebee jeebies just thinking about having that power...

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) called it "dangerous" because it effectively strips Congress of its constitutional role in voting on matters of war.

"This resolution is a total rewrite of the War Powers Clause in the U.S. Constitution," Murphy said. "It is essentially a declaration of international martial law, a sweeping transfer of military power to the president that will allow him or her to send U.S. troops almost anywhere in the world, for almost any reason, with absolutely no limitations."

You can read the text of the bill -- and decide for yourself -- at the link.
edit on 25-1-2016 by Boadicea because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Swell. Congress yet again ducking their responsibility. They want a war but don't have the huevos to stand up and say so formally.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I didn't mean to post this when I did. Just plain stupidity on my part. I wanted to verify some things before posting, and perhaps expand on some things. But my own fault for posting too soon. So if I posted falsehoods and you can prove me wrong, go for it, and have fun with it.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The GOP is always complaining about giving too much power to our government. Yet GOP Senator Mitch McConnell wants to authorize a bill to give Obama unlimited war powers. I guess it's ok to our president sweeping powers when it suits their neocon ambitions.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

The GOP is always complaining about giving too much power to our government. Yet GOP Senator Mitch McConnell wants to authorize a bill to give Obama unlimited war powers. I guess it's ok to our president sweeping powers when it suits their neocon ambitions.

Yeah, pretty much! Especially when a Democrat is speaking out against the measure, for the reasons usually touted by conservatives -- like overreach of powers and Constitutional powers, etc. I hope we're just two of many that see exactly that.

It's not enough to talk the talk. Gotta walk the walk too.

edit on 25-1-2016 by Boadicea because: spelling

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I wonder if this is in response to the SOTU address? Obama took a jab by saying if Republicans think he's being too soft send him a war declaration (paraphrasing) and the chamber erupted in cheers. Kinda saying "I'd love to do more but my hands are tied without congress".

So maybe they are throwing it right back at him by saying "here it is tough guy". And if he doesn't act, there's no excuse.

Just a thought 😊

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DuckforcoveR
I wonder if this is in response to the SOTU address? Obama took a jab by saying if Republicans think he's being too soft send him a war declaration (paraphrasing) and the chamber erupted in cheers. Kinda saying "I'd love to do more but my hands are tied without congress".

So maybe they are throwing it right back at him by saying "here it is tough guy". And if he doesn't act, there's no excuse.

Just a thought 😊

That could be true for some/many. Sometimes I don't think our congress critters think things through very well; and that's assuming they think at all -- rather than just voting the party line.

I suspect more sinister motives for such a gross power grab on the part of McConnell, though, and probably others.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
And funding? I could not find anything about funding wars. Will congress shed that responsibility also? Of course, on the backs of children, seniors, disabled, the sick, veterans. And yet, these "low energy" pols will get elected again.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This could open up a huge can of worms. The GOP giving OBama unlimited power.

thefreethoughtproject.com...

Or perhaps the GOP is convinced that the dembs will lose the election and Give Jeb the wars the Bush clan seem to love.

edit on 25-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
NWO

The government wants a king to rule the world from the United States. If Congress pass this legislator they will be committing Treason of the highest level.

If We The People do not hold them accountable if this passes, then I don't want to hear anyone complaining why we don't have any freedoms.

It is coming to a time where all Americans need to stop what they are doing and I mean take time off of work and join millions to march to Washington and throw these Traitors out of office.

Many Americans will say they cannot take time out of their jobs to defend their country. well I say freedom is not free, you Americans have to fight for it.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
And funding? I could not find anything about funding wars. Will congress shed that responsibility also? Of course, on the backs of children, seniors, disabled, the sick, veterans.

Excellent point. When was the last time they balanced the budget? Ha! Or even offerred a real budget for debate and passage, as opposed to a Continuing Resolution? They dropped the ball there too a long time ago.

And yet, these "low energy" pols will get elected again.

Time will tell, but I so hope you are wrong... for the best reasons.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
This could open up a huge can of worms. The GOP giving OBama unlimited power.

I sure hope so!

Or perhaps the GOP is convinced that the dembs will lose the election and Give Jeb the wars the Bush clan seem to love.

Probably... at least a few.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
NWO

It is coming to a time where all Americans need to stop what they are doing and I mean take time off of work and join millions to march to Washington and throw these Traitors out of office.

A velvet revolution. It's exactly what we need. I'd love to see a march on Washington by a huge cross-section of America, with specific demands that most Americans can easily support. I'd love to see a simultaneous march on state capitols at the same time, with appropriate demands for our state leaders to use their power and authority to reign in the feds. We start with a one day national strike... no going to work, no shopping so no sales taxes paid, no public transportation use, no going anywhere, and so on. Shut down commerce for a day -- except for those paying off bank loans or credit cards, and those closing their Big 5 Bankster accounts to open credit union accounts or small community banks. Shut down airports. Shut down major intersections and roadways.

Many Americans will say they cannot take time out of their jobs to defend their country.

I think more Americans than we can possibly realize are ready, willing and able to do exactly that -- in one way or another, at one level or another. For example, in my above comment, some will gladly travel to march in DC, and others who cannot go to DC will gladly march on their state capitol. Give people a plan, principles to rally around, and something to fight for -- not simply against -- and it will happen. But we have to stop blaming and fighting and hating each other, and find ways to stand for universal -- and unifying -- principles.

well I say freedom is not free, you Americans have to fight for it.

Yes, indeed we do. The revolution is coming. Perhaps it is already here. We have far more power than we understand, and we wield it in all the wrong ways. To paraphrase JFK, "When we refuse to wage a peaceful revolution, a violent revolution becomes inevitable."

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There are no words to describe how much I despise McConnell. He is the perfect example of why there should be term limits for congressmen.

Even more, he's despicable for trying to erode the responsibilities of the different branches of government.
edit on 1/25/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It's pretty broad...and makes me think that, well, this is an enduring conflict that they have already decided won't end.

I thought Congress was supposed to oversee these types of things, not give a blanket go ahead.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

It's pretty broad...and makes me think that, well, this is an enduring conflict that they have already decided won't end.

Yes, I have to agree. They'll keep moving the goal posts, keep drawing lines in the sand, and keep redefining the enemy to whatever extent they can. Even to the extent "we the people" become the enemy (if we haven't already.)

I thought Congress was supposed to oversee these types of things, not give a blanket go ahead.

You thought right. My best guess is that our congress critters have either been bought or blackmailed into submission.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You thought right. My best guess is that our congress critters have either been bought or blackmailed into submission.

Iv'e never thought the neocons were out of power; The true puppet masters behind the curtain for the military, pentagon, weapons mfg, banking, skull and bones, Bohemian grove, corporate, Israeli, CIA, etc. cabal. They will and can rule from anywhere in the world. Perhaps the face of the NWO idk. But compared to those guys, Trump is a light weight and imo dosen't fit into their agenda.
edit on 26-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Iv'e never thought the neocons were out of power; The true puppet masters behind the curtain for the military, pentagon, weapons mfg, banking, skull and bones, Bohemian grove, corporate, Israeli, CIA, etc. cabal. They will and can rule from anywhere in the world. Perhaps the face of the NWO idk.

You aren't the only one! I was reading the same sentiment just this morning... I believe it was in a comment about a Trump article. Maybe. It's got me thinking anyway.

But compared to those guys, Trump is a light weight and imo dosen't fit into their agenda.

I don't know what to think of Trump. Well, I know I won't be voting for him. I just have no idea if he's a genuine upstart or a sneaky plant. I'm not sure it matters. I have a feeling that this election, for the first time in a long time, the people will be the driving force, and will have a few surprises and challenges for the candidates. Not in a unified or coordinated way. No... no... we're not there yet. But the people are angry and restless and ready to go rogue. Stuff will happen. I don't know what to expect, but I'm watching.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
And Trump bashed Cruz for being hard and calling out Mitch McConnell and has indeed supported him as early as 2014

Yet people think Trump is anti establishment.........

Seriously?

Watch the players people.......again im a Rand supporter, but look at the candidates.......and stop supporting Trump , he supports guys like this....

Well unless its politically expedient to say different

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
To me it looks like the boiled frog gambit is in play getting the electorate prepared for a very expanded "WOT" with a big spike in nationalistic, and patriotic media blitz; w/a possible false flag bombing to pinpoint the enemy.

Business as usual for the country in the business of war. It's been controlled well in the past but I see a big potential for some player on the side lines to cause it to spin out of control.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join