It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

92 Democrats Ask Obama to Ban Import of ‘Assault Weapons’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Representative Rep. Eliot Engel (D-NY)
11%
(D-Bronx) and 91 other Democrats sent a letter to Obama this week asking him to go even further with his executive actions and ban the import of “assault weapons.”

Engel wrote the letter, in which he claimed “a mass shooting on average each day this year in this country.” He described Obama’s executive action to expand background checks as “important,” then asked Obama to use the language of the Gun Control Act of 1968 to stop “assault weapons” from entering the country.

Engel wrote:

In accordance with the Gun Control Act of 1968, we respectfully ask that you also consider tightening significantly the rules that currently allow for the importation into the U.S. of military-style assault weapons.

The Gun Control Act prohibits the importation into the United States of any firearm that is not “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.” The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has already said that this import ban includes “semiautomatic assault rifles” with “military configuration features.”

Engel claimed “nearly one in five weapons seized at crime scenes in Mexico are AK-47 variants trafficked into that country after being imported through the U.S.” He did not say how many of these AK-47 variants were smuggled into Mexico during the ATF/DOJ’s Operation Fast & Furious. Between 2,000 and 2,200 guns in total were smuggled into Mexico during that operation–while the ATF/DOJ looked the other way–and many of those have shown up at crime scenes in Mexico.

Most recently, a .50 caliber Fast & Furious rifle was recovered amid evidence gathered at drug kingpin El Chapo’s hideout.

But Engel and 91 of his fellow Democrats believe the import of “assault weapons” to sold to law-abiding citizens are retail outlets are the problem.

www.breitbart.com...

Here is the link to the letter which Breibart provided on their website.

engel.house.gov...

Of course, since Obama and his administration have tried on several occasions throughout his administration not long after taking office to impose a ban on "assault weapons" which are only semi-automatic, and they also wanted to ban all clips that have more than 10 bullets, which would readily ban pretty much all semi-automatics as well as many clips for handguns, it is obvious that the Obama administration will try to slip this into the new regulations on firearms they have imposed already.

Dems introduce bill to ban assault weapons

List of some of the attempts by Obama, and his administration right from the Huffington Post.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Other links.

White House: Reinstating 'Assault' Weapons Ban to Prevent Terrorism is Common Sense

Obama calls for assault-weapons ban, background checks

But hey, nobody is trying to ban firearms right?...

edit on 25-1-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add link.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well are they targeting domestically made assault weapons too?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Representative Rep. Eliot Engel (D-NY)
11%
(D-Bronx) and 91 other Democrats sent a letter to Obama this week asking him to go even further with his executive actions and ban the import of “assault weapons.”

Engel wrote the letter, in which he claimed “a mass shooting on average each day this year in this country.” He described Obama’s executive action to expand background checks as “important,” then asked Obama to use the language of the Gun Control Act of 1968 to stop “assault weapons” from entering the country.

Engel wrote:

In accordance with the Gun Control Act of 1968, we respectfully ask that you also consider tightening significantly the rules that currently allow for the importation into the U.S. of military-style assault weapons.

The Gun Control Act prohibits the importation into the United States of any firearm that is not “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.” The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has already said that this import ban includes “semiautomatic assault rifles” with “military configuration features.”

Engel claimed “nearly one in five weapons seized at crime scenes in Mexico are AK-47 variants trafficked into that country after being imported through the U.S.” He did not say how many of these AK-47 variants were smuggled into Mexico during the ATF/DOJ’s Operation Fast & Furious. Between 2,000 and 2,200 guns in total were smuggled into Mexico during that operation–while the ATF/DOJ looked the other way–and many of those have shown up at crime scenes in Mexico.

Most recently, a .50 caliber Fast & Furious rifle was recovered amid evidence gathered at drug kingpin El Chapo’s hideout.

But Engel and 91 of his fellow Democrats believe the import of “assault weapons” to sold to law-abiding citizens are retail outlets are the problem.

www.breitbart.com...

Here is the link to the letter which Breibart provided on their website.

engel.house.gov...

Of course, since Obama and his administration have tried on several occasions throughout his administration not long after taking office to impose a ban on "assault weapons" which are only semi-automatic, and they also wanted to ban all clips that have more than 10 bullets, which would readily ban pretty much all semi-automatics as well as many clips for handguns, it is obvious that the Obama administration will try to slip this into the new regulations on firearms they have imposed already.

Dems introduce bill to ban assault weapons

List of some of the attempts by Obama, and his administration right from the Huffington Post.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Other links.

White House: Reinstating 'Assault' Weapons Ban to Prevent Terrorism is Common Sense

Obama calls for assault-weapons ban, background checks

But hey, nobody is trying to ban firearms right?...

When you look at gun crime figures, it is obvious Democrats simply cannot think logically about this issue...

It is almost like they are being purposefully ignorant as the data, figures, and other facts about so called assault weapons are easily available.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Well, they can ban all clips, it won't matter, because magazines hold the bullets for the gun.

I don't even get my bullets with clips, I get them in boxes.

Lol, silly people against guns, trying to "solve" a nonexistent gun problem, all the while knowing nothing about the subject at all.....

Thanks Obama!!!

That is comedy gold!!

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Yes, the problem with over zealous policy is that it is ultimately unenforceable.

I start with that because so many respond to warnings of confiscatory self defense policies with claims of the impossibility of a general collection of guns from law abiding citizens.

So, it's either true that his administration's policies constitute infringement or it is an inoperative policy which diminishes the legitimacy of all other policies.

Apparently squandering the legitimacy of law enforcement is "common sense" policy.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

That scary black rifle..... I meant "assault weapon" the venerated AR( short for "assault rifle..... Lol, Omfg that is so funny to me, Armalite Rifle..... How do they not know these things? )15 is domestic!

So it won't matter.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If they ban potato chips there will be no more fat people, it's just common sense.
People who don't like guns, don't know anything about them, and that is why they are scared of them.
And the fact that they are dumb enough to listen to politicians who know nothing about guns and are using fear for votes and money from anti gun organizations.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
They can ban all they want....it just wont stick to the people....
The more they rail about it the more people, smelling a rat...will buy all the guns they can afford.....
There are waaay too many guns out there to make anything but total confiscation stick...and that , my friend would take a very bloody and costly civil war......
edit on 25-1-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

[i"]When you look at gun crime figures, it is obvious Democrats simply cannot think logically about this issue..."

They are morbidly obsessed and desperate to disarm white middle class US Americans. Its hard to know why they fear those people so much; but its obvious they don't want them able to defend themselves and their families. Its really saddening.
edit on 25-1-2016 by TonyS because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If they do this it increases the value of the stock I have in domestic firearms manufactures.

Thanks Obama!!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If they do this it increases the value of the stock I have in domestic firearms manufactures.

Thanks Obama!!!!!

A new financial measurement.....

"the M-16 supply ratio"

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
But, but, but that would kill ex- Democrat Senator Leland Yee's gun smuggling from the Philippines profits? ~$heopleNation

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Banning foreign made sounds good - make them here in America using Americans.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

Well, they can ban all clips, it won't matter, because magazines hold the bullets for the gun.

I don't even get my bullets with clips, I get them in boxes.

They want to ban both, clips and magazines that hold more than 10 bullets. it was a mistake I only mentioned clips, when they want to also ban magazines that hold more than 10 bullets as well.
edit on 25-1-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

He won't do that.
The result would be that US manufacturers would have increased sales and have to hire people.
That doesn't sound like something Obama would do.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

More mass shootings occur in Chicago than in any other city. Maybe they can start banning scary looking guns there first!

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It really boggles the mind that these people get voted in.
I mean, it isn't just that these idiots are in power and think this crap will solve anything. But what is worse, is that people vote for them.

Morons. Just plain and simple morons.

top topics

join