It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona students, principal under fire over picture of T-shirts spelling out racial slur

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I am not endorsing violence towards anyone what I'm saying is if you want to be stupid and post a pic of yourself with the word ni**er on social media, go right ahead but don't cry when you get punched in the nose or lose your job. Go ahead since its just a word why don't you try that social experiment and see how that works for you. Please tell me what other two letters could possibly be in here to make it a word ni**er? You must be kidding me or the girls lawyer if you think those girls meant it to be anything other than two g's.

Do you think those girls learned their lesson? Do you think they will pull a stunt like that again? Do you think it will make others think twice before they try something that stupid?

I sincerely hope race relations will improve in this country. I am saddened that these college bound girls thought that a stunt like this would be funny and I hope others will learn from their stupidity.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Why would anyone around you call someone a racial slur to begin with? There are other ways to express your feelings towards someone without resorting to racial slurs.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: uncommitted

So you don't understand what is and isn't racist. That particular confusion is why race relations are at their lowest point since the 80's.

I'm fairly sure I do understand, I guess where you live you may have a different definition.

I go by what Merriam-Webster says. Furthermore, saying the n word doesn't make you a racist. Directing it at someone is a different story, but they didn't do that. So like I said, the confusion of what is and isn't racist is responsible for driving our race relations down to 30+ year lows.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I go by what Merriam-Webster says. Furthermore, saying the n word doesn't make you a racist. Directing it at someone is a different story, but they didn't do that. So like I said, the confusion of what is and isn't racist is responsible for driving our race relations down to 30+ year lows.

Indeed. If only all these black people would keep quiet and stop coming up with their own definitions of racism, then everything would be peachy like it was in the past.

No. Seriously.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

I'm 37, I outgrew the silly stuff a long time ago. However, if I did do something like that, I'd defend myself the same way I'm defending those girls, by saying it's just a word. It's a totally different story if I call someone a ni**er. That's not what they did. I can't believe this is still even an issue. The fact that you called these girls racist, and consider the level of their actions enough to deem them racists is why race relations have fallen down to 30 year lows this decade. You need to learn the difference between what is considered truly racist and what isn't. This is not one of those times.

I'm almost 100% certain that nothing will snap you out of your hypersensitive over generalization of what you consider racist, but until you can see the difference, things will never go back to where they were. Those girls made a stupid decision, but it was far from racist.
edit on 26-1-2016 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

ok i'll play this game, other than using the term in a historical context or as part of a lesson on racism, why exactly would you need to use the word?

do you think using the word to poke fun or get a laugh or rise out of people is not racist?

using any derogatory words to make fun of any specific group of people is classless and tasteless, using that type of language shows ignorance and a bully mentality. that kind of stuff is better off ignored and I do ignore it 99 percent of the time, I saw this story posted on facebook by people denouncing it, this is the first I heard of anyone trying to downplay the situation. do the girls deserved to have their lives ruined over it, no, but they and hopefully others following this story will think twice before pulling a stupid stunt like that. that's my opinion on the matter and i'm sticking to it.

edit on 26-1-2016 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Indeed. If only all these black people would keep quiet and stop coming up with their own definitions of racism, then everything would be peachy like it was in the past.

No. Seriously.

It does seem odd...white people telling black people what is racist and what isn't....I think black people are acquainted with what racism is.
as do a lot of minorities.....

My Hispanic first wife had GTFO B**ner spray painted on the side of her garage. She knew what it meant; As did the kids that spray painted it. And those little white sh**s were taught a valuable lesson by a Pi**ed off older Wh**te man.
She was born in St. Louis for Christ sake.
edit on 26-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
Why would anyone around you call someone a racial slur to begin with? There are other ways to express your feelings towards someone without resorting to racial slurs.

I believe I see your problem now. See, nobody was called a racial slur.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Nobody said it wasn't stupid. I'm sure they've learned their lesson. It's definitely taught me a lot about how sensitive people can be.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Of course seeing this picture made me think of this famous South Park episode. Warning, the bad word is said in this clip.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

No. Seriously.

It does seem odd...white people telling black people that is racist and what isn't....I think black people are acquainted with what racism is.
as do a lot of minorities.....

My Hispanic first wife had GTFO B**ner spray painted on the side of her garage. She knew what it meant; As did the kids that spray painted it.
She was born in St. Louis for Christ sake.

I'm stating facts. Take the Oscars for example... Why on God's green Earth would a bunch of Hollywood people come together and leave out "worthy" actors and actresses simply because they were black? Do you realize how ignorant and stupid that sounds? It doesn't even make sense. But there are people that consider that racist. That kind of ignorant thinking is why we're at a 30 year low.

I'm not sure what "B**ner" is supposed to be, but my first wife was Mexican too and never did I ever hear one negative word about her, nor did we ever have anything spray painted or vandalized on any of our property in our neighborhood. Sounds like you just had some asshole kids in your hood. Not to mention, AGAIN, these girls didn't direct that word at anyone...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Not to mention, AGAIN, these girls didn't direct that word at anyone...

You can't be that St**id. They new what it meant, they put it up on Facebook, and a they knew everyone could read it. They intended for it to be read. They thought it was funny! Did they think that it would be only read by unracist white people....? NO

If they didn't want it directed at anyone they would have done their racist little stunt in private somewhere and kept the photos private as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You can't be that St**id. They new what it meant, they put it up on Facebook, and a they knew everyone could read it.

If they didn't want it directed at anyone they would have done their racist little stunt in private somewhere and kept the photos private as well.

Thanks for proving my point. Get out of your feelings so America can be normal again.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You can't be that St**id. They new what it meant, they put it up on Facebook, and a they knew everyone could read it.

Thanks for proving my point. Get out of your feelings so America can be normal again.

So you think writing Ni**er and posting it on face book is NORMAL.

You have no credibility with me. Your distorted ideology has gotten in the way of your common sense.

Defending racist young women isn't NORMAL in my book. I prefer bat Sh*t crazy if that's NORMAL to you!!

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

So you think writing Ni**er and posting it on face book is NORMAL.

You have no credibility with me. Your distorted ideology has gotten in the way of your common sense.

Defending racist young women isn't NORMAL in my book. I prefer bat Sh*t crazy if that's NORMAL to you!!

No, I think moving on and getting over it without making it such a big deal is normal. Putting this much thought and effort into disciplining them for a stupid decision that hurt absolutely NOBODY isn't normal. And they're not racists. And even if they are, who really gives a damn? Do you? Does it really bother you if six girls over on the west coast think it's funny to snap a photo in attire that spells out NI**ER? Who cares if six black girls snapped a photo in attire that spelled out HO**EY, or HONKEY? Seriously, who cares!

If you think that # doesn't exist all over the world, you need to wake up and open your eyes to reality. And if you think it's ever going to stop, you need to wake up and open your eyes to reality. The quicker you can let the dumb stuff go, the quicker we can all move on. And furthermore, I couldn't care less if I've got "credibility" with you or not, you don't impress me.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The controversy over the word is what makes people do things like this. If everyone ignored these derogatory words they'd lose their power. I know they're hurtful, I've been called many things.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Everyone should know * (asterisk) is a multiple-character wild card. "?" (question mark) is a single character.
So the shirts could actually be spelling something like "nice weather".

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

a reply to: uncommitted

So you don't understand what is and isn't racist. That particular confusion is why race relations are at their lowest point since the 80's.

I'm fairly sure I do understand, I guess where you live you may have a different definition.

You are presuming that someone the word is directed at isn't of the same race as the person making the comment and that therefore the phrase isn't racist I assume? Not only is that not logical (you assume American is a race for example I guess so saying it to another American is not racist?)

And more to the point, if this story is indeed true, they did direct it purely by wearing the t shirts and allowing a picture to be took of them wearing them. Just because you may not know who is going to see it doesn't mean it's not directed at anyone who does.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just wanted to throw this response from Facebook to one of the girls apologies out there for your consideration...

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

Now that first part is racist. Who ever shared the article to Fox 10, their words are racist.

But I'm sure that this is ok, because its directed at "racist" girls.

SMH

Thanks for sharing CZ

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join