It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona students, principal under fire over picture of T-shirts spelling out racial slur

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Whatever you say doll. I'm positive that this pic will make the rounds amongst the leadership of my multinational Corp and it will give everyone a good laugh.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CalibratedZeus

Why do these girls, most with scholarships to good colleges, who may never have done anything wrong before this (if they were bad kids I would imagine them not going to good schools and having scholarships), deserve to have their lives RUINED by this? Thankfully it has not happened yet but it it does I would be more outraged.

Interesting, you seem to be saying because they went to a 'good' college then they are somehow to be treated more leniently? That says more about you than you may realise - if they had benefited from that scholarship then they should have the sense to know what this represents (if it's real of course) more than those who, using your measurement, went to 'bad' college or no college at all.

I'll assume that the college or the state actually has disciplinary codes and guidelines which include the nature of the discipline if infringed. If these have been met then expulsion is wrong purely on that basis - if expulsion is on option then you would assume it had been explored.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: mystical master
www.reddit.com...a reply to: mystical master

just found it on reddit its fake, from a photoshop battle, will try to link it.

Please do. Who ever did this needs as much publicity as the image itself has already gotten, so the world knows how ignorant they are.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueleadman

Interesting reply. Out of interest, what other forums do you frequent?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I can't imagine this as fake. There has been police response to the high school with several units having been stationed there since this happened. It is being reported pretty widely, if it was a photoshop job a lot of people messed up big time, and these girls really did get in trouble...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

www.reddit.com...a reply to: mystical master

just found it on reddit its fake, from a photoshop battle, will try to link it.

There ya go, case closed - so it's all a fiction then? I guess that teaches all of us - whether individuals or not - to question a little further.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

I guess that teaches all of us - whether individuals or not - to question a little further

Say what?

I guess that teaches all of us - whether individuals or not - to question a little further

Definitely golden advise this forum has been needing for a long time.

One last time...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueleadman
a reply to: TzarChasm

Lol no I'm using the fact that 90% of people I know are racist. Like normal white suburban society thinks this is funny.

i dont think its funny at all. in fact, i have been pressured by my peers into being less sensitive about the n word and i have steadfastly refused out of respect for a culture that still bears shackles in many ways.

at the same time, you ought to use a finer brush when you are addressing racism because its way too easy in current PC climate to go overboard with the underdog routine.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

it really bothers me that fox didnt take the 5mins i took to find this out, dodgy, peace

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So six students behave like idiots in a school of ~3,000 (according to the school fact sheet) and people believe the principal should resign?

Uh, alrighty.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Boo Hoo.
The 5-day suspension is plenty punishment for me.
At the most, maybe add in a mandatory counseling session or some type of seminar.
They did an incredibly stupid thing and payed for it. No need to go after the principal over it.
By the way, the stupid thing the did was photograph it and put it on the internet.
Had they done this just for a quick laugh for themselves, I wouldn't care, because I would have never known about it
and

Anything done for the sake of humor, good or bad, is OK with me.
I can assure you that these girls did not do this in a malicious way to harm anyone. It just so happened to do so.
A nice apology and acceptance of their punishment should be enough for anyone.
but
It's 2016 and people are allowed to be super offended by humor, claiming damages, all the while TRYING to damage others in ways that jokes never could.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

it really bothers me that fox didnt take the 5mins i took to find this out, dodgy, peace

Fox loves dirty laundry, and stirring the pot. As does the media in general.

BTW. What is your avatar taken from? I'd like to see that.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Tricky isn't it? All they have really done is distribute a release from the Associated Press - I guess that's a little like Reuters? Unless they did a piece on this that may have asked for comments from the school itself then they have taken the news agency at its word.

At a micro level, that happens to all of us all the time - how many on ATS have viewed a web site or two and became convinced HAARP controls the weather because they saw it on the internet?

ETA - that is of course assuming it really is a genuine photoshop trick and the picture wasn't sent there as a deflection mechanism - got to throw in a little conspirational thinking

edit on 25-1-2016 by uncommitted because: As per ETA

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Since when is someone's life and livelihood a commodity to be fought over because someone became offended?

What about personal accountability? Do you really blame the offended party over the ones being racist?

This isn't happening because "someone became offended"; it is happening because six students decided to spell out a racial slur and then post it online.

Does anyone agree that they deserve harsher punishment? Why?

Than five days suspension? Yes!

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Interesting, you seem to be saying because they went to a 'good' college then they are somehow to be treated more leniently? That says more about you than you may realise - if they had benefited from that scholarship then they should have the sense to know what this represents (if it's real of course) more than those who, using your measurement, went to 'bad' college or no college at all.

I'll assume that the college or the state actually has disciplinary codes and guidelines which include the nature of the discipline if infringed. If these have been met then expulsion is wrong purely on that basis - if expulsion is on option then you would assume it had been explored.

At this point I have said it a few times, they have been suspended 5 days, and deserved it. Do they deserve more? Possibly, but not to the extent that the petition is demanding, and that is my grievance with this whole story. And they are not in College, they are still in High School. They have been accepted to colleges. I do understand what you mean against what I said about 'good' and 'bad' colleges and how that can infer leniency.

My thought process went more with usually, if you do good in school and act accordingly, you will get into a good college. Through that most of them *probably* were not troublemakers. This does not mean they deserve leniency, but normally if a kid effs up in life for the first time you help them understand what they did, give a punishment, and hope they turn it around and walk the good path. You do not throw the book at them from the get-go and instill as much punishment as possible.

But who knows, they could have been troublemakers their entire life in school, and be deserving of much more than this. But that is what a discussion is for, right....

link   

At a micro level, that happens to all of us all the time - how many on ATS have viewed a web site or two and became convinced HAARP controls the weather because they saw it on the internet?

You mean they don't!? DAMN!

link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Barf dude, any "shackles" the culture bears are either self-imposed or no different than the challenges people of all cultures currently face.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

to be honest, i dont know where its from, i just found it and loved it, if anyone can tell me where its from id like to see it too, looks pretty cool dont it? peace

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

When did we get so far away from teaching to or learning from our mistakes and just going straight for as much blood and punishment as possible?

Since when is someone's life and livelihood a commodity to be fought over because someone became offended?

Does anyone agree that they deserve harsher punishment? Why?

I've heard rumblings that this is a hoax; but assuming it's real, it's ridiculous to call for the firing of the principal, who did not have prior knowledge of it, did not participate, did not condone it, did not try to excuse it, did not try to cover it up. As for the girls?

I'm a firm believer in naming and shaming... as well as suffering the natural consequences for one's actions. Tell the whole world what they did and let them suffer the natural consequences of their actions. If I were principal, would call a school-wide assembly, and tell everyone who they are and what they did. I would explain exactly why this is so vile and reprehensible, that such behavior is disrespectful, hateful and hurtful, and completely unacceptable -- not just in racial terms, but in any way. I would then blow that picture up into a HUGE poster to hang in the school's highest traffic area -- but cutting out the offending word -- and offer both the students and their parents the opportunity to respond in writing as they deem appropriate, attaching their personal responses to their face. I wouldn't even suspend the girls. I would force them to face the natural consequences of their actions... from their peers, their teachers and administrators, the parents of other students, their prospective colleges and employers.... anyone and everyone. Let them see exactly who they are, and give them the chance to decide if that's who they really want to be -- or if they want to be better than that. If that means they lose their scholarships, oh well. If that means they lose friends, so be it.

The lessons learned through living are the lessons we never forget.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Hanks says Desert Vista High School students were wearing shirts to spell out “BEST(asterisk)YOU’VE(asterisk)EVER(asterisk)SEEN(asterisk)CLASS(asterisk)OF(asterisk)2016” for a senior class yearbook photo.

nypost.com... ow

...and then they decided it would be funny to make light of a dark matter.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join