It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom, son die waiting in car with tailpipe blocked by snow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
www.msn.com...

This is a tragic story to read but it holds some valuable information.
Those of us who have to contend with snow may not think about the danger of a plugged tailpipe. It's also common for someone to sit in a car (with the heat blasting), while someone else clears the snow/ice off the vehicle.
Please clear your exhaust pipe BEFORE the windows!

This article also mentions the death of a 56-year-old man whose car was buried in snow by a passing snow plow.
Please be careful.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If you're gonna start the car before fully shoveling it out, always check the exhaust!

Man, this is such a simple mistake. How crazy is it to think, the father was there shoveling a mere foot or so away as they slowly went to sleep...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

A real downer Jace !

Hope this can be a lesson to those unaware !

Same as the tourists that come here from Asia on hols every year and die.

Can't swim can't understand the warnings ....

Apparently common sense goes out the window when on holiday in a foreign land ...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

Hey Psychonautics!

I know it seems logical but a lot of people wouldn't think to do that.

Agreed. I can't imagine what the poor husband/father went through when he eventually found them.

jacy

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

The man that died was found about a mile and a half from my house.
We really got hammered.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yeah that blows ...

Un-necessary flow on effect ... talk to the locals ... plenty of translators out there these days ...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I am very cognizant of this potential issue due to repeated viewings of Beverly Hills Cop.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There was an overt banana influence in said incident - I believe !

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Hey Timely! Yes...a lesson for others. Snow can be deadly.

butcherguy...So sorry that was local. Same thing has happened around here too. (SW Ontario/Canada).

Augustus...Sshh...don't talk. Just sing "Roxanne" for me.

Now it's my turn to go out and unfreeze my car for a quick errand.
Take care everyone!

jacy

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
Augustus...Sshh...don't talk. Just sing "Roxanne" for me.

That was 48 Hours.

I would rather make you an espresso with a little lemon twist.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Up in Northern ontario, Canada, We get dumped on with a lot of snow. I never truely appreciated what a lot of snow was.
When we lived in Detroit, we would get some snow on the ground and that seemed like a lot.
Up where i am living now, Detroit would be shut down indefinitely from the amount of snow on the ground.
A lot of snow to me now means 4 ft deep or more

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I've always taught my family members that, if they go off the road and get stuck in the snow, get out and make sure the exhaust is not blocked in any way. If we ever have to dig cars out [ not often around here ] I clear the exhaust first, then start the car to warm up while I'm clearing the rest. Carbon monoxide can easily sneak up on you. You think you're just warm and getting drowsy, then you never wake up.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Just to add - Life-hammers ...

Should come with every set of new keys ...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

That happened a few decade ago to a gal I dated once. It was near zero weather.She and a dude were parked out at night in a remote area. They were found the next day stuck together.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Cant smoke if pipes are not clean. Simple rule. Smoking kills

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Damn I was going to post a warning for you guys about the dangers of running your vehicle when it's stuck & your tailpipe is covered.

My truck got stuck a few years ago in the snow and I was with my gf and her son. I'm so glad I remembered the tail pipe thing and didn't run the heat full blast, and end up filling the truck with carbon monoxide.

We were literally getting into town when we got stuck so we got her son bundled up & we left the truck there to get help which was only a block or two away.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for responding!

I'm starting to think that the "one person you could help today" might have been myself.

My partner has never driven, so I'm the one sitting in the car with the heat on while he clears the snow off. I really never think about the tailpipe being blocked with snow. Not since the years of being in "Super Stealthy Mom Mode".
As he is not a driver, he likely doesn't think of it either.

I will now be checking.

jacy

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

excellent thread for people who deal with snow! here is another tip...I saw a clip of someone who's car was covered with snow...they blew the snow right off with a leaf blower!!!! worked great

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Cars have electronic exhaust emission controls, and they can't give a warning about CO/CO2 build up in the car?

(post by shamaniski removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join