It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explorer Henry Worsley Dies Attempting Antarctic crossing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Former British army officer turned explorer Henry Worsley has died 71 days into his solo crossing across the Antarctic his family has announced , Mr Worsley had nearly completed his goal to complete Sir Ernest Shackleton’s unfinished journey to the South Pole having just 30 miles left to cover of the 913 mile trek.

His wife, Joanna, said in a statement: “It is with heartbroken sadness I let you know that my husband, Henry Worsley, has died following complete organ failure; despite all efforts of ALE [Antarctic Logistics and Expeditions] and medical staff at the Clinica Magallanes in Punta Arenas, Chile.”

Worsley was attempting to complete Sir Ernest Shackleton’s unfinished journey to the South Pole. He was trying to recreate the majority of the untravelled journey 100 years after Shackleton’s hopes of leading the first team across the Antarctic were crushed: his ship Endurance was trapped and sunk by pack ice in 1915, leaving the team stranded
www.theguardian.com...

Rest in Peace Sir , deepest sympathies to family and friends , absolute respect to you and your kind.

edit on 25-1-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

A true explorer, it takes a lot to stare into the unknown universe, knowing you will lose in the end.
Thanks for the story and inspiration, I will look into this man out of respect.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
30 miles left such a shame, wonder how he caught the Peritonitis

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
More info from the shackletonsolo website.

When Henry was picked up by Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions (ALE), he was suffering from exhaustion and dehydration. He was flown to a hospital in Punta Arenas where he was found to have bacterial peritonitis. This resulted in Henry undergoing surgery but in spite of all the efforts of ALE and medical staff, he succumbed.

Henry's last statement from Antarctica.

‘I set out on this journey to attempt the first solo unsupported crossing of the Antarctic landmass, a feat of endurance never before achieved.

“But more importantly, to raise support for The Endeavour Fund, to assist wounded soldiers in their rehabilitation. Having been a career soldier for 36 years and recently retired, it has been a way of giving back to those far less fortunate than me.

“The 71 days alone on the Antarctic with over 900 statute miles covered and a gradual grinding down of my physical endurance finally took its toll today, and it is with sadness that I report it is journey’s end – so close to my goal.”
shackletonsolo.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

A true testament in death of the strength and courage he had in life.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
These are his final words, or part of his final audio recording anyway.

edit on 25/1/16 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I was going to write "That was one hell of a man".
But I think that saying is really biased and outdated, I correct myself and wish to say, "That was one HELL of a Human Being".
I'm sure his journey to the other side was much easier.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

I was going to write "That was one hell of a man".

I think that would have been accurate , shame so few here recognize that.

top topics

join