It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain hit by major earthquake measuring 6.1 on Richter Scale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

TOURIST hotspot Malaga has been hit by a major earthquake after a 6.1 magnitude tremor struck in the middle of the sea.

I dont know how significant this is as it is breaking in Daily Express but does seem pretty unusual. I dont know much about earthquakes but 6.1 seems quite high especially following on from the one in Alaska.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

I'm not sure if they get reported way less but for about two years this was pretty much a daily occurrence.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Hope this is wrong and no one is hurt or their home destroyed etc because there is nothing on Sky, BBC Al Jazeera or RT.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Apparently, nobody was hurt and there was only minor damage, as we can see on this page (in Spanish) from El País.
At least in Spain, I don't have any information from the North African countries on the other side of the Mediterranean.

Also, 6.3 (the magnitude for the earthquake on the above page) is not a major earthquake.
edit on 25/1/2016 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Strong earthquake hits Med between Morocco and Spain

The shallow quake hit at 4:22 am (0422 GMT) 62 kilometres (39 miles) north of the Moroccan city of Al Hoceima and 164 kilometres east-southeast of Gibraltar, the USGS said.

It was followed by a 5.3-magnitude tremor.

In its initial assessment of the quake's impact, the USGS said there was "a low likelihood of casualties and damage".

Other source :

Powerful earthquake strikes southern Spain

edit on 25-1-2016 by theultimatebelgianjoke because: Fixed URL

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What is the longitudal distance between Alaska and Europe? There's a time difference of 9+ hours, so I'm guessing that makes 9 x 360/24 = 135 degrees, which would correlate to the refraction/reflection of seismic waves:

images.duckduckgo.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens

TOURIST hotspot Malaga has been hit by a major earthquake after a 6.1 magnitude tremor struck in the middle of the sea.

I dont know how significant this is as it is breaking in Daily Express but does seem pretty unusual. I dont know much about earthquakes but 6.1 seems quite high especially following on from the one in Alaska.

There was a beautiful full moon this morning. I've lived in my apartment for about six months now, and have never seen the Moon hanging low in the West in the morning. Maybe that's just because there were clear skies.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I doubt there's any connection, if that was the case why didn't the Alaska earthquake triggered other earthquakes in the huge area affected by the reflection/refraction of the seismic waves.

Also, the difference in longitude is only half of the question, what about the difference in latitude?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I doubt there's any connection, if that was the case why didn't the Alaska earthquake triggered other earthquakes in the huge area affected by the reflection/refraction of the seismic waves.

Also, the difference in longitude is only half of the question, what about the difference in latitude?

If you look at an earthquake map of the Earth, earthquakes mostly occur along existing fault lines between tectonic plates. There are only four places where the 135 degree circle intersects with the fault lines (Greenland, Mediterranean and Atlantic).
This circle also seems to correlate with the fault line going from Africa to below Australia.

www.bgs.ac.uk...
edit on 25-1-2016 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
If you look at an earthquake map of the Earth, earthquakes mostly occur along existing fault lines between tectonic plates.

I know that.

There are only four places where the 135 degree circle intersects with the fault lines (Greenland, Mediterranean and Atlantic).
This circle also seems to correlate with the fault line going from Africa to below Australia.

Are you sure about that 135 degree circle? I haven't made any calculations, but it looks like using just the latitude is not going to get the real distance.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

There was a beautiful full moon this morning. I've lived in my apartment for about six months now, and have never seen the Moon hanging low in the West in the morning.

A full Moon is always low in the western sky in the morning. Just as a full Moon is always low in the eastern sky in the evening.

And it's no coincidence. It's what makes the Moon full.

edit on 1/26/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join