It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victorian Era - East End London. Any old newspapers, photos or flyers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Feel free to move if in wrong forum MODS

I am currently researching & writing a book and thought I would turn to ATS for any help they can provide. Specifically I'm looking for people who may have old photographic, newspaper or flyer papers in which they could provide a copy for consideration in the finalized book, descriptions of any photos would also help.

Any help most welcome but preferably only things concerning the East End of London.

So if you think you can help, write me up and thanks for reading.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

county records offices

museums

fim / tv prop depts / hire depots [ the set dressings you see in period dramas have to come from somewhere ]

appologies - cannot actually help - i do have a small collection of WWII stuff but its not even london specific

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'd try the National Newspaper archives. I think they're based in Colindale, in London. The British Library may be able to help. Probably try their sites and see what they've got indexed. It helps if you can be a bit more specific and narrow your search. Some of the on-line sources are great these days and they're usually able to provide copies of most things as long as they're in a copyable form and not too fragile. Local libraries are pretty good too. Usually on microfilm but they're easy to use ( and fun to peruse). Hope that helps. Just woke up.

(post by Trueleadman removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

How old?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

What is the book about?

What period are you interested in? The Victorian era covers something like sixty years.

I see you live in Scotland. In the UK, there's an embarrassment of material, though the Sassenachs have most of it.

The British Library has extensive archives. So have the many other public and academic libraries in England, such as the Bodleian in Oxford.

Old newspapers of that era are extensively archived. Some of them are available on the internet via subscription services. So are contemporary issues of the Spectator, the Illustrated London News, and so on.

Perhaps you should tell people what you're looking for so that you can improve your strike rate.

It seems redundant to add that original materials of this sort have financial value.

If you want more specific information, u2u me.

edit on 25/1/16 by Astyanax because: of u2us.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

What is the book about?

What period are you interested in? The Victorian era covers something like sixty years.

I see you live in Scotland. In the UK, there's an embarrassment of material, though the Sassenachs have most of it.

The British Library has extensive archives. So have the many other public and academic libraries in England, such as the Bodleian in Oxford.

Old newspapers of that era are extensively archived. Some of them are available on the internet via subscription services. So are contemporary issues of the Spectator, the Illustrated London News, and so on.

Perhaps you should tell people what you're looking for so that you can improve your strike rate.

It seems redundant to add that original materials of this sort have financial value.

To me it's all interesting

Specifically before the turm of the 1900's and the book is about Jack the Ripper.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
www.homesandproperty.co.uk...

There is a great BBC series called the secret history of our streets. Probably get it on I player, it's a fascinating series taking in a number of streets and their communities, I know it covers some streets in London, not all east side but a few.www.bbc.co.uk...

Sorry that's deep ford might be a bit south
edit on 25-1-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I don't know off hand where you'll find it but I highly recommend the Illustrated Police News. I'm not sure how long it ran for but you should find it useful.
In its day it was a kind of early gossip rag but far surpassing the quality of today's rubbish.
They did cover an awful lot of fascinating and unusual stories that you will not find elsewhere. The drawings are an added pleasure.

Hope that's of use and good luck.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Specifically before the turm of the 1900's and the book is about Jack the Ripper.

I thought it might be. I’m afraid I can’t help you there.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: Astyanax

What is the book about?

To me it's all interesting

I know it's an easy answer, but try googling 'Victorian Whitechapel' and you will find a huge amount of links including quite an impressive images set (check for copyright requirements if using in your book though).

Good luck with the book, although I'm sure you are well aware that you will be publishing a book on a subject that has quite a crowded market.

ETA the link below may well be something well worth exploring -

www.whitechapelsociety.com...
edit on 26-1-2016 by uncommitted because: As per ETA

new topics

top topics

join