It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Lecture by Paul Metz, test pilot YF-23 and F-22

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
As always outstanding insider information

I would scan the page from the book but I´m unsure about copyright and T&C.
Of course, just because they write that it exists, it doesn´t make it true.

Edit:
I assume this book has been aproofed by some Gov-ABC before it was released, so on the other hand, they would not let them toss out such information.

Late edit (sorry):
Was silicon in the air any problem for the RCS?
edit on 27-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

It may have been a case of something they were looking at and later went another direction.

Silicon wasn't an issue I ever heard of.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thanks for posting OP.

Q&A's were gold!

Enjoyed hearing how the photo was cobbled together, his words "hodgepodge" and that no pilot flew both aircraft.

"Scariest part of combat is the night after your first day in combat when you realize the promise you made is up to and including your death"

much respect....

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Silicon oil is mostly everywhere any industry or workshops are. Car painters have to wash it away with smth like acetone to get a good job done. Otherwise you get "orange skin". I know this because a friend of mine works with high quality sports cars like Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Koenigsegg and so on.

But I see I´m getting way offtopic.

@howmuch4another
That hit me, too. He gave much insight into his job. I also liked how he explained the flight envelope and the "here be dragons", I smiled ^^

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The F-22 has a ceiling of 60,000 feet. Most stealth aircraft are operating near 40,000 or higher, so it would have to get pretty high up to be an issue.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I can´t connect your answer to my post, do you refer to the silicon being more abundant in higher places?
When I wrote about the silicon, I thought about "contamination" on the airstrip, like the oily fingers.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

To really be an issue it would have to be up higher. The aircraft are kept in hangars usually, to protect them from the elements, and other issues, and it's a pretty quick taxi from the hangar to the runway, and a short take off roll, so there's not really a lot of time for it to get stuck to the airframe.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Makes sense if you think about it :good old rolling eyes smiley here:
I send you a U2U about a thread I made, maybe if you like, you can dump your thoughts on that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join