It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before Google , there was "EMERAC"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Most likely, very few will remember this (the name in the subject line EMERAC will be a clue for us older folk) 1957 chick flick with the one and only "Katharine Hepburn"! Basically a mathematician built a huge computer that could answer any question. A 1950's Google, minus the www.

Who knows, maybe there is a connection between this movie and Google? Regardless, it is a great flick. Just watched it again and thought it deserved a thread.

disclaimer
You may not like this movie; There is no sex,drugs, rockand roll,oul language or murder. ..

Desk Set is a strange movie that feels both dated and ahead of its time. Its office setting, midcentury style, and technophobic slant are all signs of 1950s comedy. But in tone it stands apart. The 1930s screwball comedies and the 1940s battles of the sexes had given way to two subgenres in the 1950s: sex comedies (typically starring Marilyn Monroe), or romantic comedies (typically starring Doris Day or alternately Audrey Hepburn, depending on the ratio of laughs to romance).However, Desk Set fits into neither category comfortably. Nor is this second-to-last Tracy/Hepburn collaboration a throwback to their 40s battles.

So, where does Desk Set fit? Considering the flirty bickering over lunch, the playful bantering over dinner, the details about food, the major character revelations during holidays, and the amicable way the leads transition from friendship to romance, Desk Set resembles nothing so much as an Ephron romcom.

D E S K S E T

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader
I'm going to put that on my IMDB watch list. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

It's a splendid flick!! You will not regret. They even have land line phones and typewriters. He he

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: reldra

It's a splendid flick!! You will not regret. They even have land line phones and typewriters. He he

I have friends that come over for movie nights. We make a list of new films, old films, cult films, foreign films and pick. This will fit right in there. It's my house, so that will be first!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Wow. That definitely looks like something different and worth watching. Those movies and series that explore the future always fascinate me.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

While you are at it, be SURE to check out Breakfast at Tiffany's just as awesome of a film

top topics

join