It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you do math without a calculator, no? Then I am your superior

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: VanGcouverite

I believe what you're saying is knowledge and intelligence is only that of what we either know already, are able to learn and what we are exposed to. You are trying to share that you know there is more than just knowledge - that we are beings that are existing in a specific time frame and we know more than we think we do but really we know nothing at all. Our souls are more than what we are here. One day it will all be revealed to us and it won't matter but we will still be learning, far more than we can comprehend now.

I think I understand you. And if I don't I sure am trying.

Carry on then
And hugs!

link   

originally posted by: VanGcouverite

YOU OF AVERAGE INTELLIGENCE would be a superior being if transported to 14th century.
You know so many things that the poor SOBs of that era have no clue about,

No, you wouldn't. The ancients weren't stupid. If you went back in time you wouldn't suddenly be superior. You'd still be of average intelligence and not be able to hold a candle to not only the advanced thinkers of that age, but a whole lot of average people as well. In fact, anyone educated knew Latin, Greek, and their own language. Do you?

In fact, before Gutenberg, i.e. Before 1440, there weren't a lot of cheap printed books around, so how did people cope? They memorized. In fact, there was a deep philosophical issue involving pedagogy back then over the fact that students were no longer memorizing, an exercise that stretched the mind, they were merely READING, which was making them lazy. Tell me, can you memorize entire books? In Latin? In Greek? So compared to an educated person in the 14th century who knew three languages, at least, probably more, and could memorize entire books, how are you faring?

And what of your "superior" knowledge. Do you know how an internal combustion engine works? You do? Cool. Can you make one? Unlikely, right? Well, can you make one with the material and technology available in the 14th Century? So what use is your "superior" knowledge if it does not apply?

But what could they do? Build a flour mill from scratch. Erect a bridge over a river using advanced architecture. make mechanical clocks. Make gunpowder from scratch. Have a practical knowledge of celestial mechanics. Improve upon the game of chess to its modern standard. (Do you play chess? Think you could beat those guys?) Have a practical and detailed knowledge of farming and animal husbandry. Develop a trebuchet. Understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem and other advanced mathematical issues.

You can't do any of those things. If you were suddenly transported to the 14th century your "skills" you learned today would be largely useless. You'd suddenly have to live without electricity and the modern conveniences. In fact, you would be so lacking in survival skills that you wouldn't last a week.

So your idea that you would be a superior being if transported to the 14th century is completely bogus.

Not only would you not be superior, you would be considered rather stupid.
edit on 1/24/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Wait I know this one...Are you a human?

Only on the weekends...

link   

Why do you assume that you can understand this reality we live in on the same level as me if my IQ is let's say 140 and yours is 100.

Well... My IQ is actually above 140, and dyslexics (of which I am) tend to score lower on IQ tests due to dyslexia, so the representation of my IQ through the tests are likely higher than what it is. So does that mean I am more superior than you? No.

IQ tests are an extremely poor indicator of someone's intelligence. You claim to work with Autistic people, but forget that many autistic people are savants, and if your reasoning for being superior is because of perceived intelligence then there are many autistic people out there that can calculate mathematical equations that don't even seem feasible to you.

Now that I think if it, the expression of such arrogance within your OP leads me to consider that the only reason you work with autistic people may simply be to have a false feeling of superiority.

For someone with a claimed 'high IQ', you seem to lack the fundamental principle behind intelligence.... Critical Thinking.
edit on 24/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

I know this one - fortunate! Oh, and smart!

Most likely lazy... I would rather have the smart people do all the work than myself.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Maybe I missed something, but I did not interpret the OP as a braggart.

It seems to me that somebody with a high mathematical ability may have shot down something the OP "knows" because it is not based on what this "somebody" thinks is possible mathematically.

The OP supposedly has an above average IQ and thinks/feels that there are some things that math just cannot explain, and just because somebody may be a mathematical genius does not mean they are your superior.

That's what I took away from the post. And I think the OP is right.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

No, the purpose of the OP is to express how no one can know reality, and then he wrongfully assumes that intelligence is the only thing that can determine what reality is.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
My ability to do super math in my head, like multiplying 248 x 4567 quicker than a person with a calculator...went away when I hit my head on the protective carriage of a forklift when I hopped on. A simple concussion can change anyone. That is all I appeared to lose.

But how would I know if I had lost something else? If you lose comprehension then you do not remember you had it. All of your knowledge and abilities can be gone when you have a stroke. One fall can lower your abilities. Appreciate your intelligence while you have it and use it to help those with less intellect, because they will be the ones taking care of you if something happens.

Super intelligence is just a step away from crazy. I took that step, it is much more fun. What you eat can also effect your intellect, limiting it's usefulness.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
LOL, welcome to the internet, where everybody claims to be a genius.

*smh*

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Everybody's smart, just depends on what the subject is. When Einstein needed his brakes fixed, who was the smartest guy in the garage?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This thread is a cry for help. It may seem arrogant and self centered but that is just the manifestation of loneliness and fear.
edit on 24-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Now please excuse me...

You're excused.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

What if I told you. That there are things I can understand that you of average intelligence can't no matter how much you try.

Like, how to use proper grammar and punctuation in a sentence?

Maybe my IQ is 151 and maybe I'm also a member of Mensa. Therefore, I do not think your grasp of reality is anywhere near my level of understanding.

I am therefore superior, yes?

(I love how people believe themselves to be better than others using generic statements of superiority through ambiguous, non-specific references of privately held universal understanding
)
edit on 24-1-2016 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

OP come back!!!!! You started this, now finish it please.
We need you. Tell us stuff.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

OP come back!!!!! You started this, now finish it please.
We need you. Tell us stuff.

Yes! only the prophet of 140 IQ can tell us how to view reality and live our lives. We would be lost without you!

Let's all band together and form a church of "140" to profess our devotion to such a powerful being!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

I always thought Mensa was what happened to a woman once a month.

Learn something new every day!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well I wasn't joking.

OP, I like you! Come baaaack, pretty please? Or PVT a gal(moi) if you wanna tell somebody some stuff. I'll listen. I like being told.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Depends on what kind of math you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: baglady333

Depends on what kind of math you are talking about.

single digit addition

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I'm just an average guy. I tend to shut up, smile, and listen to what folks are trying to convey to me. As a young wipper snapper. I had a hard time in school. I was a bit Hyper. So school was not exactly my forte.(I excelled in science and english classes. But math was monotonous) However, my parents got rid of the sugary diet (Mountain Dew).... put me in a private school by 5th grade. After 2 grades, or by 7th grade. Testing to go back to the public school system. I actually was good enough to skip a grade.

At this point in school I could do math. It made science so much better. And testing for college was easier. I still hated it. But I could do it. I'm not a genius like most..... I got pegged at 131. But i'm not a believer in IQ test scores. I know great people with much lower scores, whom comprehend and apply far better than I. 👌

Thankfully I had a great career as a Paramedic/Firefighter 3/ AARF 2..... and my pride accomplishment. Got my RN in 2009 and that allowed for me to get my PHRN (pre hospital RN). It enabled me to go back to ambulances and helocopters....

Now I'm here at ATS. Never had a more intriguing privilege to meet so many critical thinkers👍.
Just my 2 cents.🙌
edit on 24-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: Gosh dang autocorectal

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join