It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You could Transfer Your Conscious Mind to a Human Like Android would You ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Sure Dr. Who is great imaginative sci-fi.

But many already believe consciousness exists outside of the brain - And they are now attempting to map and duplicate all
functions of the brain digitally - I say they will succeed - And then tell me why you could not have the 'Positronic' brain like that possessed by 'Data' in Star Trek' - a fully functional thinking mind duplicating and exceeding your out of date biological brain.

SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE
universalspacealienpeoplesassociation.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I don't really know Data but I'm assuming he was built from scratch with a program for interpreting and incorporating incoming information.
At the point of transfer Im not sure if that process would be able cope with a whole human all at once.
Im not picking holes in the idea. I said earlier on that if it was as easy as changing clothes I'd probably consider it.
Its a difficult concept really. Any questioning of your hypothesis isn't based in doubt.

Its just me standing with my mouth hanging open and think "but....but.....but....."?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Data (Star Trek)

Lieutenant Commander Data (/ˈdeɪtə/ day-tə) is a character in the fictional Star Trek universe portrayed by actor Brent Spiner. He appears in the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation and the feature films Star Trek Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis.[1]

An artificial intelligence and synthetic life form designed and built by Doctor Noonien Soong, Data is a self-aware, sapient, sentient, and anatomically fully functional android who serves as the second officer and chief operations officer aboard the Federation starships USS Enterprise-D and USS Enterprise-E. His positronic brain allows him impressive computational capabilities. Data experienced ongoing difficulties during the early years of his life with understanding various aspects of human behavior[2] and was unable to feel emotion or understand certain human idiosyncrasies, inspiring him to strive for his own humanity. This goal eventually led to the addition of an "emotion chip", also created by Soong, to Data's positronic net.[3] Although Data's endeavor to increase his humanity and desire for human emotional experience is a significant plot point (and source of humor) throughout the series, he consistently shows a nuanced sense of wisdom, sensitivity, and curiosity, garnering immense respect from his peers and colleagues.......

See whole article here:
en.wikipedia.org...(Star_Trek)

in the 'Sciencefictionalist' Universe any logical possibility must be considered - It is logical to believe that in the future
Man will be able to mechanically reproduce brain function and be able to grant sentience to an android like the
sci-fi 'Data'

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I'm not able to comment on the soul but I think in order to capture the whole personality you would need to preserve the brain intact.

The desire being longevity of life, right? Thats part of your programming already.

You want to 'live forever', then focus on your spirit. Adding mechanical part isn't going to preserve you much longer than you expected life time anyway. In fact the stress of repeated operations and recovery may shorten your life. Google retuning veterans from foreign wars. Some of those poor guys are multi prosthetics.

As far as the mind and memory, I think you take that with you. Why else would it be recording everything we think, say and do?

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No thanks. I've already had surgery more than once and its the results of that which leaves me with reservations about this whole procedure.

I have no desire to live forever but I've already mentioned above that this isn't a choice anyone would take lightly.

It was an interesting OP though. Nice hypothetical to keep the imagination going. I really am surprised no one brought up Marvin though. Nevermind, I'm sure he"ll be over the moon to know he's been included now.

Don't talk to him about life

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I really am surprised no one brought up Marvin though. Nevermind, I'm sure he"ll be over the moon to know he's been included now.

Good point. Poor Marvin, he was made so well and lived tooo long, he is sooo depressed.

Too funny how he defeats the army of Vogons with a 'point of view' gun.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I really am surprised no one brought up Marvin though. Nevermind, I'm sure he"ll be over the moon to know he's been included now.

Good point. Poor Marvin, he was made so well and lived tooo long, he is sooo depressed.

Who is Marvin ?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
No I'd rather be reincarnated into a spoilt cat or dog.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Na, I am all for trans humanism, but I will see if I cant find the natural way to transcend. Few do, but those that do seem to rock beyond a cyborg body. I want my blood to turn to milk and my body to be made perfect. LOL

Like a human locust.

edit on 1 28 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hypothesis two - Alternative 1.1:

New Virtual You Soon Ready for Download !

Afraid of androids and the loss of your physical self? Want to maintain a real feeling of being alive but don't want to be burdened with a Human body that will wear out and leave you out in the cold and dead?

Well your friends in the digital age "Borg Industries, Inc." anounce the development of "Digital You 1.1" - a you that will last forever in a virtual world where all your wildest dreams and fantasies can com true. Here in the virtual world perfected by the engineers at Borg [both Human and aliens working togerher] a complete sense of self can be maintained indefinitely.
All aspects of consciousness will appear real - It will appear to you [yourself] as if you are fully alive and you will hardly even notice the loss of that defective and physically inferior biological body that has been holding you back.

Here you will be able to fulfill your dreams - become the person you always wanted to be, and achieve the goals you always dreamed of. And if it is pleasure you want your wildest fantasies can become real - Have your own harem, spend niights that even the greatest sultans of old could not have imagined, And if you are more conservative true love is just a click away, the mate of your dreams will manifest as you dreamed him or her to be.

And for those of you who say it won't seem real because there will be no danger or limitations in the program, we have programs available that allow for risk, including risk of termination.

So what are you waiting for Human?

THE FUTURE IS NOW !!!

edit on 28-1-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

originally posted by: intrptr

Who is Marvin ?

Sorry for the delay. Marvin is a character, an 'advanced' robot in the book "HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy".

If you have the time, read it, you won't regret it. If you don't make the time the movie is a lesser second.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Absolutely.

Someone mentioned if our ability to have feelings would be transferred too, and I honestly dont see why not? I mean, I think the "robot dont have feelings/souls" trope is pretty much dead in science fiction. There are entire movies, books, and video game subplots that can argue why we'd preserve our core being in a robot better than I can go into in one post.

(And it might bring us closer to our "true self" since chemical imbalances and physical impairments wouldn't be restraining your potential).

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: themsheep
Absolutely.

Someone mentioned if our ability to have feelings would be transferred too, and I honestly dont see why not? I mean, I think the "robot dont have feelings/souls" trope is pretty much dead in science fiction. There are entire movies, books, and video game subplots that can argue why we'd preserve our core being in a robot better than I can go into in one post.

(And it might bring us closer to our "true self" since chemical imbalances and physical impairments wouldn't be restraining your potential).

Good points! The question sitll would be the 'touchy/feely' one - Could a totally synthetic entity 'feel' consciousness as a Human does? But then again how does a Human feel consciousness? - Add up all the nuts we have in the world and it becomes obvious that many Humans feel consciousness very differently than others - Designed right the synthetic android Human could be a great improvement over the often defective biological Human of today.
edit on 5-2-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I agree consciousness is very different from person to person. The experience of life is very different for everyone and maybe consciousness is a sort of method to take it all in and process what's going on? In that way, it's similar to how different laptops have different specs. Some process things faster than others. Some have more memory, have higher graphics cards, etc etc.

Being transferred to a synthetic body would definitely be a whole other experience, even with all the same soul, memories, functions, feelings, etc. The controversy would likely fall here. Were we meant to live and die as humans? What happens when, frankly, we stop being human? What does it even mean to be human - and does it transcend biological makeup? Or is "humanity" a temporary term we use to describe something beyond our species, because we have nothing to compare it to yet (and would a synthetic vessel be able to replicate this concept?)

All very hypothetical questions to a hypothetical situation.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Maybe not today but in the future robotics and artificieal intelligence will create robots with greater and greater capability - One day these
robots will appear very close to Human in appearance and function - And it is in the realm of the possible that a 'Data' [from Star Trek] Human type of Android will be real. Now let us say when that day happens we will have learned enough about Human consciousness so as to be able
to download it into a machine - And even further we will be able to upload it into a Human likd Android. The Android will be stronger
and longer lasting [possibly almost immortal] with fully replaceable parts though the conscious mind transferred to it might have limitations
as to its durability and length of useful functioning [maybe a 100 years, maybe a few hundred years] you would still not live forever.
But while in the android state you would not age, not get sick - As long as your mind was functioning well - Your wellness could be
maintained at peak efficiency.

Now the question is could you see yourself in this type of existent state

Would you be willing to give up your biological body for a longer lasting more efficient android

This idea you present is more about producing a technology or capacity to move our consciousness from body to body. Is it a given this will occur? I'm not sure, we have to be careful about that.

Is it a given AI or non-biological intelligence will be superior? No.

Is it a given we will make non-biological bodies for us to live in? No.

Many things are not a given. This is especially true in futurism or science fiction. Predicting the future is fascinating but impertinent.

Is it a given we will engineer our biological bodies by changing our genes or enhancing them with optimal nutrition and routine? I think this one is the most likely, given the circumstances at this time. We exercise to stay in shape. We're told to get enough sleep and reduce stress. We already try to eat nutritional foods. We already are exploring our genetic makeup in an attempt to find bad or good genes. Some people have already made permanent changes to their body after figuring out what their genes are. So none of this is a surprise: I think it's a given.

Here's a question: Will it ever be more economical for a centralized intelligence to control many mini-intelligences whom inhabit bodies and for this centralized intelligence to use those bodies to interact with the world? Presently, it seems we humans on Earth, while we do have centralized storehouses of knowledge and material resources, our intelligence is still separated and not centralized--as I understand it. Notwithstanding, people do form groups and these groups can become very powerful and control many other people. Yet the groups are still composed of individuals, comprising of the smartest and most capable people on Earth.

My question about centralization of intelligence is about the economics of it and whether it will ever make sense to do that. Will there always be a need for many separate intelligences of (the highest) capacity or will the future favor centralized intelligences with many low capacity intelligences to empower its interactions with the world?

Is it a given humans will still be like they're today in 400 years? Will there be supercomputer AI centrallzed systems barking orders to human subordinates? Will there be humans with many mental and physical enhancements or will humans instead be menial slaves to AI? Truth is probably somewhere inbetween, but something tells me it'll be a whole lot more and a whole lot less. What else will change?

And OP, have you read the Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke? In Rama Revealed, this topic is covered somewhat. I really want to talk abot it, but I don't want to ruin the story. Myabe I shouldn't mention it.
edit on 2/6/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

jonnywhite wrote:

Is it a given humans will still be like they're today in 400 years? Will there be supercomputer AI centrallzed systems barking orders to human subordinates? Will there be humans with many mental and physical enhancements or will humans instead be menial slaves to AI? Truth is probably somewhere inbetween, but something tells me it'll be a whole lot more and a whole lot less. What else will change?

Good questions - This is at the root of my new 'so-called' religion which I call "Sciencefictionalism, The Religion of the Future" - Science Fiction recognized not only as fanciful look at the future, but also as a creator of the future - In our world
'now' is an illusory mind set that never really exists - time continues to pass and can not be frozen - And only the future exists. - So not only do we view Sci-fi as fanciful entertainment but it becomes a significant instrument in creating the future as it plays out - Even modern physicists agree that the observer can not be taken out of the equation - Mind not only observes, it also creates - it is a creative part of the observation - And no one knows for sure what the so-called 'real world' would look like without 'mind' observing it.

As far as your individual commentaries on my original post - Let me make it simple:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke

"The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible."
-Arthur C. Clarke

The questions about the existence of the individual in society is beyond the scope of this post - Many have believed that 'consciousness' may appear to be 'yours' but you can not separate yourself completely from a larger existent consciousness.
That in fact "No man is an Island".

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm not trying to steer this conversation away from its course. I was searching your threads to explore future realities and decided on coming to this one, since it's an interesting topic. I just can't help but bring up other things. You're asking me to answer a question which is not simple to answer. Moving my mind to a human-like android is a hypothetical and answering it means asking other questions (and leaving no stone unturned).

You know we all have opinions about things and fears too. The future can be a frightening place, depending on what makes you afraid. Given we don't know the future, some of our worst fears surface.
edit on 2/7/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
You know we all have opinions about things and fears too. The future can be a frightening place, depending on what makes you afraid. Given we don't know the future, some of our worst fears surface.

Have you read your history? I have yet to imagine a more nightmarish sci-fi scenario in the future, even though apolyptic end of the world scenarios seem to be popular in contemporary sci-fi.

Trutth of the matter is Human history is an ongoing apocalypse anyway - And a better future will require a break with the past.

Check out my new post - Hypothetically 'channelled' from friendly aliens from another universe:

"Now is Past - Only the Future Exists"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-2-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It's a tricky question, in the end we are all organic matter and we decay so it would be interesting to maintain our brain throughout the years without all the downside of old age, like Alzheimer for example, but I would do it, maybe if some day we get to create android like the ones from Scott Ridley Alien as well as Prometheus.

It would be fun, I wonder if our memory and mind can be, how do I say it, eternal? Just some thoughts

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
You can sign-up now IF you have enough money:

Russian research project offers 'immortality' to billionaires - by transplanting their brains into robot bodies

Contacted list of world's richest to offer immortality Will personally oversee brain transplant into robot body Entrepreneur claims to have 30 scientists working on project Aims to 'transplant' human mind into robot body in 10 years Claims 'next stage' of science is to create a 'new human body' 'This project is leading to immortality,' says Dmitry Itskov

He has contacted a list of billionaires with a proposal for funding his quest for immortality - which Itskov refers to as 'cybernetic immortality' and the 'artificial body'. The initiative is opening its San Francisco office this summer, and will be launching a social media project connecting scientists around the world. 'The 2045 team is working towards creating an international research center where leading scientists will be engaged in research and development in the fields of anthropomorphic robotics, living systems modeling and brain and consciousness modeling with the goal of transferring one’s individual consciousness to an artificial carrier and achieving cybernetic immortality,' says Itskov's official site.

See whole article here:
www.dailymail.co.uk... l

"SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE"

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join