It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas lawmaker imposes dress code on female witnesses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I am pretty angry about this story. There are a multitude of issues that need to be addressed in this state, I don't think this is one which needed priority. In addition the fact that this was written only for women is inexcusable.

www.foxnews.com...

Republican state Sen. Mitch Holmes issued an 11-point code of conduct to guide women on how to dress. The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that Holmes’ rules don’t include any restrictions on men because, according to Holmes, men don’t need instructions on how to look professional.

While Mr. Holmes does not directly represent me, I am a state resident, and I have sent him an email. [SNIPPED]

edit on 1.24.2016 by Kandinsky because: Snipped small T&C breach

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
What an idiot.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
I am pretty angry about this story. There are a multitude of issues that need to be addressed in this state, I don't think this is one which needed priority. In addition the fact that this was written only for women is inexcusable.

www.foxnews.com...

Republican state Sen. Mitch Holmes issued an 11-point code of conduct to guide women on how to dress. The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that Holmes’ rules don’t include any restrictions on men because, according to Holmes, men don’t need instructions on how to look professional.

While Mr. Holmes does not directly represent me, I am a state resident, and I have sent him an email. [snipped]

What sort of people elect these sorts of people?

Its readily apparent that there is a desperate need for a mechanism by which electors can un-elect their politicians.

The fact that such mechanisms don't exist; is itself, evidence the rule of the people by the people exists only in words.
edit on 1.24.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

there is it is called,

In 2011, there were at least 150 recall elections in the United States. Of these, 75 officials were recalled, and nine officials resigned under threat of recall. Recalls were held in 17 states in 73 different jurisdictions. Michigan had the most recalls (at least 30). The year set a record for number of state legislator recall elections (11 elections) beating the previous one-year high (three elections). Three jurisdictions adopted the recall in 2011.[9] Of recall elections, 52 were for city council, 30 were for mayor, 17 were for school board, 11 were for state legislators, and one was for a prosecuting attorney (York County, Nebraska). The largest municipality to hold a recall was Miami-Dade County, Florida, for mayor.[9] The busiest day was November 8 (Election Day) with 26 recalls. In 34 jurisdictions, recalls were held over multiple days.[9]
Recall election

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Pretty ridiculous in this day and age, i'm not in the USA so can't have a pop at him, i can't even be bothered to research him but, i will say, i bet he's religious too.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

At least they're taking care of the really, really, important things.

After they address those important things they can get to the trivial things like a budget and steps to bring some business into the state.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Azureblue

there is it is called,

In 2011, there were at least 150 recall elections in the United States. Of these, 75 officials were recalled, and nine officials resigned under threat of recall. Recalls were held in 17 states in 73 different jurisdictions. Michigan had the most recalls (at least 30). The year set a record for number of state legislator recall elections (11 elections) beating the previous one-year high (three elections). Three jurisdictions adopted the recall in 2011.[9] Of recall elections, 52 were for city council, 30 were for mayor, 17 were for school board, 11 were for state legislators, and one was for a prosecuting attorney (York County, Nebraska). The largest municipality to hold a recall was Miami-Dade County, Florida, for mayor.[9] The busiest day was November 8 (Election Day) with 26 recalls. In 34 jurisdictions, recalls were held over multiple days.[9]
Recall election

That's good to see and I hope it stays that way. I'm not from the US but reading the link I gather that recalls are not necessarily elector initiated.

Further, I think the system should work along the lines that electors in the electorate concerned should be able to simply declare the seat vacant if they get more signatures on a partition than the politician got votes when they were last elected.

This would give the electors greater control over the actions of the politician.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Does anyone so far realize the courts have a dress code anyway ? That the judge can either have the person evicted from the court or declare a recess for the person to dress appropriately ?

I think a lot of the opposition here is just because he has an R by his title..

And what is wrong with a dress code for cryin out loud ? every single business and establishment I know has a dress code for employees and most times patrons.

edit on 24-1-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
This would piss me off...but obviously there is more to the story. My guess is they have had a rash of women dressing provacativly in the court room...possibly seeking to influence young dumb horny men on the jury. If that is the case...which I am pretty sure it is then I see no issue with this.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Does anyone so far realize the courts have a dress code anyway ? That the judge can either have the person evicted from the court or declare a recess for the person to dress appropriately ?

I think a lot of the opposition here is just because he has an R by his title..

And what is wrong with a dress code for cryin out loud ? every single business and establishment I know has a dress code for employees and most times patrons.

Lol....Right? Do dems think that people should be able to show up to court naked?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

this quote says it all :

Revealing too much of the body during testimony to the Senate committee is a distraction, he said.

translation :

holmes has the attentions span of his penis

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I think it's his whole "Women are too stupid to dress themselves" thing. Notice he says men have no problem looking professional.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I think the US legislative bodies should really consider the burka for female witnesses... It leaves everything to the imagination and men can go about their business without being distracted by the womanly form or skin... In fact, let's look into ALL women wearing burkas... It would make men's lives so much simpler... and, after all, that is the goal... right?

Silly women... When are we going to be good enough to decide how we clothe our bodies, and REALIZE that we're just too stupid to figure it out ourselves?
edit on 1/24/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I think all women should push this issue. wear sexy, provocative clothing. Wear it everywhere all the time. High heels, garters, etc. . . dress like you're in a MTV video!

This should be done every day everywhere all around the globe.

edit on 24-1-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Gothmog

I think it's his whole "Women are too stupid to dress themselves" thing. Notice he says men have no problem looking professional.

Men usually dress in some form of suit for court . I usually put on one of my 3-piece and tie.
Once upon a time , I went to court to be a character witness against my "friend's" wife in divorce court (ermmm).She was called to the stand . If you added the size of her skirt and blouse together they would not have matched the size of the cotton in the top of an aspirin bottle.The judge asked my friend if his wife dressed like that frequently when going out. My friend said yes. Judge found for my friend and granted the divorce on the spot.

Oops , added to add - its not that they are stupid , just sometimes misguided...

edit on 24-1-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I really have nothing to reply

. . . but this is really foolish, IMO. How bizarre.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Misogyny is NOT OK!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Politicians, give them influence and power and it goes straight to their head. They start thinking they can push their own personal beliefs on the rest of us. There's a system of checks and balances among politicians, but there needs to be a system where the public has a direct hand when it comes to legislation that directly affects the public or when it's self-serving.

Politicians shouldn't be able to vote for their own salary increases, benefits, term limits, the elimination of lobbying and corporate donations and super PACS. These are all self-serving agendas and should be decided by the taxpayers who pay to represent them.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Men usually dress in some form of suit for court . I usually put on one of my 3-piece and tie.

dude sounds like a tool
women are distracting when they wear low necklines
guys dont need any guidelines on how to dress professional

what an idiot.

and i quoted you cause ive been to court a few times. i wore a decent pair of slacks and a dress shirt. i dont get decked to the 9's.
other people though. i cant imagine showing up to court dressed like that.

seen dudes in nasty ass blue jeans and tank tops
seen chicks with pajama pants on

seriously

edit on 24-1-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I think the US legislative bodies should really consider the burka for female witnesses... It leaves everything to the imagination and men can go about their business without being distracted by the womanly form or skin... In fact, let's look into ALL women wearing burkas... It would make men's lives so much simpler... and, after all, that is the goal... right?

Silly women... When are we going to be good enough to decide how we clothe our bodies, and REALIZE that we're just too stupid to figure it out ourselves?

***APPLAUSE***

Yeah! We can't take you girls any where!

This guys picture should be in the dictionary next to the word, asinine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join