It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a 'True Follower of Jesus' be Divorced / Re-married & still call himself a 'Christian' ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Don't feel guilty about anything you did. We've all screwed up at some point. That's why Jesus died for our sins, so that we might know that we are forgiven in Him and can move forward in spiritual maturity. Guilt will only hold us back. 1John 1:9

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Don't feel guilty about anything you did. We've all screwed up at some point. That's why Jesus died for our sins, so that we might know that we are forgiven in Him and can move forward in spiritual maturity. Guilt will only hold us back. 1John 1:9

But remarrying means I choose to disobey for 45 years?

That is that throws me.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

So, death of spouse or adultery allows for remarriage.

Nope!

whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Period!

Just admit that you disagree with the scripture.

Windword.....Romans 7:2,3

In this marriage covenant, the woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives (cf. 1 Cor. 7:39). The marriage "bond" is a lifetime covenant commitment, and God holds people to the commitment they made, even if later they try to break it.

Note that the passage says a woman may be "bound" to one man, but "married" to another man! The "bond" refers to the marriage covenant that God holds you to. "Marriage" refers to the relationship you are living in as recognized by civil law and society. The two may be the same, but not necessarily. In this case, the woman was "bound" to one man but "married" to a completely different man!

That is why a woman is guilty of adultery if she is married to another man. Adultery, by definition, refers to sexual intercourse between two people, one of whom is bound by a marriage covenant to somebody else [see definitions in notes on Matt. 19:9].

This woman is an "adulteress" because she has been joined in a marriage covenant with one man, and God holds her to that covenant for life. But she is having sexual relations with another man, and that, by definition, is adultery. This passage defines adultery for us!

Note that anytime she has sexual relations with a man other than her scriptural mate it is adultery -AS LONG AS HER FIRST COMPANION IS LIVING, the passage says.

So NO you are WRONG about not being able to remarry after your spouse is dead.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Death is NOT divorce. We're talking strictly about divorce and remarriage, not widowhood. Also, we're talking about what Jesus said, not Paul or Moses.

Jesus' words are very clear on the subject.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

But remarrying means I choose to disobey for 45 years?

That is that throws me.

See this is where our Relgious leaders have led us all too. Were not supossed to have a man as head of the church. (such as the POPE ) they have intentionally not told people how we are to conduct ourselves in regards to marriage. Paul said it s better to remain single than to marry. At least then your sins can be contained to you and its way easier to change than when you get married and have children.

True dont feel guilty but you might have to reconsider things. And really we all have been adulterers at one time or another scripturally speaking. Which is Why Jesus died for our sins so we can enter heaven one day.

(post by randyvs removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Death is NOT divorce. We're talking strictly about divorce and remarriage, not widowhood. Also, we're talking about what Jesus said, not Paul or Moses.

Im afraid i must rebuke you. no we are also talking about ADULTERY as well. Its a major cause of divorce.

Remember the statement let NO MAN seperate them? Death Isnt Man is it? God decided when they died and therfore HE ended the marriage.

Scriputural evidence one last time because you are dancing around it.

When a man and woman get married, God unites them as one flesh (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6). The only thing that can break the marriage bond, in God’s eyes, is death. If a person’s spouse dies, the widow / widower is absolutely free to remarry. The Apostle Paul allowed widows to remarry in 1 Corinthians 7:8-9 and encouraged younger widows to remarry in 1 Timothy 5:14. Remarriage after the death of a spouse is absolutely allowed by God.

Paul would not have said anything contrary to what jesus intended.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
SNIP.

True,but according to the verses unless they all died its still a sin,but look at it like this. Adultry is th e most common sin id wager because we all look at others and have impure thoughts at one time or another. Sure you can follow Christ but you would have to go and sin no more if you take it literally. Im not judging ya. thats between you and the G man upstairs.
Besides im just as sinful as the next person although im trying to stop doing it eventually.
edit on 1/24/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: remove quoted text

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I replied to you in a PM.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

ya. thats between you and the G man upstairs. Besides im just as sinful as the next person although im trying to stop doing it eventually.

And you are going to get there. We who have a mind to all will.

" The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Im afraid i must rebuke you. no we are also talking about ADULTERY as well. Its a major cause of divorce.

This is the title of the thread; Can a 'True Follower of Jesus' be Divorced / Re-married & still call himself a 'Christian' ?

From the OP:

Why do Protestant churches especially in America allow divorce and re-marriage without retribution (I was thinking of Anita Bryant just now) when it clearly goes against everything R. Yehoshua taught on this subject? Is it a case of picking and choosing what is most convenient - especially in the convenience-driven 21st Century?

We are talking about divorce and re-marriage, without retribution from the church, while it clearly goes against the teachings of Jesus.

Remember the statement let NO MAN seperate them? Death Isnt Man is it? God decided when they died and therfore HE ended the marriage.

Again, we're not talking about widowhood. We're talking about divorce and re-marriage.

Paul would not have said anything contrary to what jesus intended.

I strongly disagree, but that's a separate topic. We are talking strictly about the words of Jesus, not Paul.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

For your own sake, I strongly recommend not arguing with Windword, lest his idle words (passing like wind) temp you to judge. I've stepped in his traps too many times.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

And that's the question I would have too.

Is a remarriage an act, over an done with, or is it a continuous act that carries on? A state.

I think that's what you mean. Am I right?

I think it takes a better mind than mine to answer that one.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I'm a woman, and I'm just holding your feet to the fire.

This is what you said:

Immorality is grounds for divorce. That includes; adultery, abuse, hatred, etc. I initially said only adultery, but I was thinking off the top of my head. But don't take my word for it, look it up yourself.

Now clearly, that's the way you remembered it, off the top of your head. And, that's most likely what makes the most sense to you in the way of fairness, and what you deeply believe. But, it isn't what Jesus said. Ergo, I have to assume that deep down, you disagree with Jesus.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

For your own sake, I strongly recommend not arguing with Windword, lest his idle words (passing like wind) temp you to judge. I've stepped in his traps too many times.

True. its obvious he isnt paying attention.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is a remarriage an act, over an done with, or is it a continuous act that carries on? A state.

I think that's what you mean. Am I right?

Yes, that is what I mean.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is a gay marriage an act, over an done with, or is it a continuous act that carries on? A state.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Out of a minimal level of respect, I will indirectly acknowledge that Windword is indeed a female by her own admission.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Is a gay marriage an act, over an done with, or is it a continuous act that carries on? A state.

Define gay marriage?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

An abusive relationships is grounds for indefinite separation, but is not a true divorce, so no remarriage.

What a load of crap.
Seriously.

And you didn't know, after all this time, who windword is? You're not real swift on the comprehension and retention end of two-way communication then, I guess?

sigh
always makes me sad to discover that

edit on 1/24/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join