It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a 'True Follower of Jesus' be Divorced / Re-married & still call himself a 'Christian' ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Christians should not divorce unless there is an issue of adultery. On those grounds, the innocent party may remarry.

Oh? So, it's "tit for tat"? If one person commits adultery then it's legal for the other one to commit adultery?

Logic

edit on 24-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

Yes they can. I do. I am.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
there are people who are divorced through no fault of their own, does that make them a sinner if they remarry.

i say no, you can not control what your spouse does.

if you just traded in for a new model once, and truly hate what you did and ask for forgiveness, you are forgiven. you may have to face some consonances from your sin, but you are forgiven. if you continually commit a certain sin, my understanding is that you are forgiven if you ask, but your not free from the consonances that come from them.

Jesus is the sacrifice for all sin he is the sin offerings, maybe if you look at it like the old testament.

remember he came to fulfill the law, so if the law was to give the offerings for sin every time, and he came because God saw the Israelite's as a stiff neck people, in that they would continue to sin and have to give offerings, he was the final sacrifice.
all you have to do is ask to be forgiven in his name. you still may have to pay some dues but your sins are forgiven. there is only one sin that is unforgiveable, and that is blasphemy against the holy spirit.

edit on 24-1-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

ETA: if you can't blow up your browser, here is a link for the chart.
The Five Offerings in the Old Testament
edit on 24-1-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: windword
More like contract termination.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
You can call yourself a christian as long as you believe that Jesus died for our sins, marriage has nothing to do with salvation.

Or you can call yourself a christian and believe whatever you want. That seems to be the new trend these days. It really doesn't matter, you can fool people, but there's no fooling God.

Christians should not divorce unless there is an issue of adultery. On those grounds, the innocent party may remarry. If there is a divorce for any other reason, then they should reconcile or never remarry.

My good friend tried to leave an abusive marriage. He beat her so bad she wound up in the hospital. Committing adultery isn't the only reason to leave.

If you fear for your life, divorce him. (or her)

I think you're right, I was writing off the top of my head. I thinking any form of intolerable immorality is grounds for divorce.
edit on 24-1-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

A contract between whom?

Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.
Jesus

Don't get me wrong. I think that there are a lot of legitimate reason for divorce, and I disagree with Jesus. I just marvel at how gutless and hypocritical you Christians are when it comes to disagreeing with Jesus or biblical scripture.

Enter Paul to argue your case and dispose of that pesky and inconvenient law, that Jesus not only endorsed, but made harder!

You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; 28but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

God careless if you marry remarry or else, man Religion is the one that dictate human behavior

live life prosper and stop worrying about a man made religious behavior to get into a none existence heaven.

If you are no happy with the person you are with, by all means find somebody else, do not become a martyr.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The message I glean from the teachings of Jesus is do what you have to, but suffer the consequences. Like David and Bathsheba. Treat others as you want to be treated would help make better choices.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You can call yourself a christian as long as you believe that Jesus died for our sins, marriage has nothing to do with salvation.

Jeshua died to show us his divinity and to show that this divinity is within all of us. He did this of his own free will, as he could have escaped.

He is concerned with the misuse of his name over the ages. Please stop this madness. There is NO sin - and only you will judge yourself. The LOVE of Jeshua is with each and every one of us, always. He proclaims that he is exactly the same as us all. On behalf of Him, I love you all.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I still think that the biggest iniquity in Isreal was their treatment of women, and others they saw as inferior to themselves.

Full Definition of iniquity

plural in·iq·ui·ties

: gross injustice : wickedness

: a wicked act or thing : sin

www.merriam-webster.com...

and Jesus stating that there was no such thing as divorce was more of a jab at the men. The could divorce, and yet, according the the strict jewish laws, the women couldn't (still can't in Isreal). What the men denied the women, he denied the men, and well it didn't take them long to realize that it was a horrible situation to be in!!!
At another time, he jabbed again, by making the church his "bride"... they were to act toward him, as they expected their wives to act toward them... and well, his treatment of them would be relative to how they treated their wives....

I know that isn't what the churches teach today, and maybe their are right and I am wrong. But it would be rather amusing to learn that all those times when Isreal was punish (usually through slavery) for their iniquities, all God was doing was giving them a taste of their own medicine...this was how they treated those under them, their wives, their slaves, ect...so well, it's only fitting that they got a taste of it so they would know how it felt...

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I applaud your thread Sig. SnF

I'm no scholar by the slightest chance and my answers
to any questions come only from my spirit. I leaveb it to
the reader to decide if my spirit makes up for my lack
of knowledge.

That said, Jesus also told us above ALL things guard
your heart/mind. For what good does it do a man to
lose his mind for any reason. What good does it do
Christ if only crazy people believe in him. Or if following
him only makes people go crazy. We are expected to
obey the master, to follow him and let this be the evidence
of our love for him. Of course a loving God is going to
hate divorce, most every child on the planet whos parents
divorced hates divorce. And that's all I need to say about that.

Divorce breaks the heart of children. Righteous is my
Father in Heaven for hating it. But what Moses wrote wasn't
wrong. And don't ever under estimate the power of Christs love
or even more so his blood. As John the Baptist once said.

" Behold the lamb of God who washes away the sins of the whole
WORLD " It is by the blood of love that we are forgiven our
weaknesses. We are to follow him. Not be him.

edit on Ram12416v46201600000022 by randyvs because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Jeshua died to show us his divinity and to show that this divinity is within all of us. He did this of his own free will, as he could have escaped.

He is concerned with the misuse of his name over the ages. Please stop this madness. There is NO sin - and only you will judge yourself. The LOVE of Jeshua is with each and every one of us, always. He proclaims that he is exactly the same as us all. On behalf of Him, I love you all.

That is contrary to what Yahoshua' taught. He was the Lamb of God who removes the sins of the world.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

A contract between whom?

Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.
Jesus

Don't get me wrong. I think that there are a lot of legitimate reason for divorce, and I disagree with Jesus. I just marvel at how gutless and hypocritical you Christians are when it comes to disagreeing with Jesus or biblical scripture.

Enter Paul to argue your case and dispose of that pesky and inconvenient law, that Jesus not only endorsed, but made harder!

You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; 28but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Thank you so much for calling me a "gutless hypocrite" as it reveals your true goal; not to discuss issues in a civil and rational manor, but to simply stand contrary to Christians on a personal level and everything we believe (no matter how low you have to bring yourself). That has been your historical position here on ATS.
edit on 24-1-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: emphasis added

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

"gutless hypocrite"

If we stand gutless and hypocritical before Windword in all
his wise judgements, placed precariously on a pie crust peak.
We should be thankful to know the difference, when we stand
before our maker, in the clean and white.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

In your case, your spouse was unfaithful to you. You were traded in and did not seek the divorce, but I think the word is clear ... you are permitted to leave the marriage because your spouse is being unfaithful to you, adultery, sexual immorality.

edit on 24-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Christians should not divorce unless there is an issue of adultery. On those grounds, the innocent party may remarry. If there is a divorce for any other reason, then they should reconcile or never remarry.

So if I'm married to a christian and the marriage isn't going well we should agree for me to commit adultery to allow us to divorce in the eyes of the Lord?
edit on 24-1-2016 by twfau because: added quote

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: twfau

You should have taken it seriously to begin with. Death do us part is supposed to mean that not, until the first blush of passion wears off and I realize I really don't like that person.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

He was the Lamb of God

We are all Lambs of God.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You don't like the description gutless or hypocrite? Oh well. It's really simple. You disagree with what Jesus said on the subject, but you refuse to admit it. As a result, you, like many other Christians here, make up excuses of why you don't have to abide what Jesus said.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Do you disagree with Jesus, and think that divorce is acceptable beyond adultery? Do you disagree with Jesus and think a spouse jilted by an adulterer has the right to remarry, committing adultery?

edit on 24-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join