It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a 'True Follower of Jesus' be Divorced / Re-married & still call himself a 'Christian' ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Anybody who believes in Jesus is a Christian. But not everyone who is a Christian believes in Jesus. Going to church and listening to a PAID preacher is entertainment and not worship. Good deeds and worship are not to be a public show. It's all about the money. Today's Christianity are the new Pharisees and scaring people with threats of hell for not believing in the unknowable is rather disgusting.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus
The "conservatism" of Jesus on the point is undoubtedly because he understood the God of Israel better than his critics.
He quotes Genesis as showing that his God is deeply committed to the importance of marriage, and the rest of the Old Testament backs that up. I like to say that God "takes it personally".
It needs to be remembered that divorce, in the social conditions of the time, was carried out for the convenience of the man, and was normally an act of injustice against the woman;
"The Lord was witness to the covenant between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless...
For I hate divorce, says the Lord God of Israel, and covering one's garment with violence [i.e. injustice]". Malachi ch2 vv14-16
(However, "except for unchastity" is also at least within the spirit of Old Testament teaching)

The founders of the church would certainly frown upon the modern license in matters of marriage.
But what degree of misbehaviour affects one's ability to "call yourself a Christian" is a more complex question.
The name probably started as an externally-imposed derogatory nickname, like "Methodist", with the meaning "one of those odd people who say they believe in Christ".
Arguably, it is reasonable for someone who believes in Christ to use it.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus The inseparable nature of the relationship of God to man is reflected in marriage. To divorce, in God's eyes, is like going after other gods. A gentile Christian is not under the same strict laws given to the Jewish converts, as noted in Acts. Gentiles have simple rules, like don't eat meat offered to idols and don't commit adultery. Also, let's remember the impossible laws that were given in the Sermon on the Mount to illustrate that no man is able to live the law, only Jesus. That's another reason we need a savior.

edit on 1/24/2016 by Jim Scott because: amended

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
At the time of demise if you have taken the lord in your heart you are in.

Yep , you can get forgiveness " in the twinkling of an eye"

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
You can call yourself a christian as long as you believe that Jesus died for our sins, marriage has nothing to do with salvation.

Or you can call yourself a christian and believe whatever you want. That seems to be the new trend these days. It really doesn't matter, you can fool people, but there's no fooling God.

Christians should not divorce unless there is an issue of adultery. On those grounds, the innocent party may remarry. If there is a divorce for any other reason, then they should reconcile or never remarry.

My good friend tried to leave an abusive marriage. He beat her so bad she wound up in the hospital. Committing adultery isn't the only reason to leave.

If you fear for your life, divorce him. (or her)
edit on 24-1-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
At the end of the day your question is "is it possible for a Christian to sin and not lose their salvation?"

The answer is yes, a Christian can mess up and still be forgiven. However sin is still something we should actively avoid.
I know that there are some, who for whatever reasons that only they can fathom, think Paul, was not a real apostle. However he said it best in Romans Chapter 5:20-21 through Chapter 6:1-2

Chapter 5:20-21 (End of Chapter 5)
20. Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21. That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord. (Emphasis mine)

Chapter 6:1-2 (Beginning of Chapter 6)

1. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2. God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

In short, yes Gods Grace will still cover sin, even if you are a Christian. However it is still something that Christians should avoid.

edit on 24-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The marriage ritual back in Jesus's day was totally different than today's ritual. Basically the husband to be would enter a marriage contract with the bride's father. This is where we get the tradition of the groom asking for the father's blessing for the marriage. Then after a specified amount of time the couple would have sex and the husband would present a bloodied cloth to the family to show the bride was a virgin. At this point the family would celebrate the union.

Regardless if the couple had sex there was a marriage based on contract, but the union was given more importance. They also had marriages to more than one wife. They made three copies of the contract, one for the father of the bride, one for the husband and another sealed contract that the priests in the temple held on to to prove the validity of the original contract.

Based on this, I would say that what is considered a common law marriage is most like the original marriage back in Christ's day. Based on this understanding then, the first time a man dated a virgin and had the approval of both families and then had sex with her was a marriage with the most similarity to what was common back in those days.

Given all that, I doubt that 99% of today's marriages can be considered valid to the standards that Christ would have when he walked the earth. This also makes a couple living together without a legal marriage seem more inline with what was considered a marriage under God.
edit on 24-1-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

edit on 24-1-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: another typo

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Can a 'True Follower of Jesus' be Divorced / Re-married & still call himself a 'Christian' in the 21st Century?

We are an imperfect species; that was lesson #1 from Book of Genesis.

Beyond that? We call ourselves whatever the heII we want. One look in the mirror (as a whole) and that is just all too obvious. But, that's okay, too, because we apply various approaches to make ourselves look so doggone perdy when gazing into that mirror, by making others look awful!

Be it politics or ethnicity or nationality or regionalisms or even... religion, we seek to take others down to lift ourselves for inner glory.

Have a nice day

edit on 24-1-2016 by redoubt because: coffee edit

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The conundrum is that while we are always forgiven when we repent of our sin. If we have gotten a divorce simply because we just decided our husband or wife no longer "did it" for us and that hot guy or gal over there seemed more attractive, then in God's eyes, that's not reason enough to sever the marriage bond.

So when we remarry after such a divorce, we live in a continual state of sin.

How exactly do you repent of that if you keep doing it?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If we have gotten a divorce simply because we just decided our husband or wife no longer "did it" for us and that hot guy or gal over there seemed more attractive, then in God's eyes, that's not reason enough to sever the marriage bond.

Marriage today is not what it once was. The promise of 'until death us do part' is just not taken seriously, either going into the union or coming out.

Speaking for myself, I am in my third committed relationship. The first came when I was 17... lasted a little over a year. The second lasted 14 years. The current is now 16 and a half years and still in good condition.

Once again, we are very imperfect creatures so mistakes are expected. We live, we learn, we move on.
That's who and what we are.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: redoubt

I know people don't, but most everyone around me still does. Most of my friends, family, and acquaintances are all still in their original marriages.

Sometimes, I think the numbers on marriage aren't as true as they make them out to be. Either that or I live in some kind of weird island of strange people who actually got married with the right idea in mind.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You forgot a verse, OP...
Matthew 12:

31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.

Biblically, divorce and re-marriage does not necessarily negate someones Christianity. You can be a convicted serial killer, rapist, or pedophile. As long as you have genuinely repented of your sins, and your life from that point reflects that, you can go to heaven too. No worries. There will be plenty of divorced people in heaven. As well as murderers and adulterers. Just ask King David.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

if a person choose to live a life murdering people

he/her can get salvation letting christ in on the death bed and all would be forgotten...

look it up

it's stupid

edit on 24-1-2016 by missedinformation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: missedinformation

I think you are mistaken to say it will be forgotten. Forgiven and forgotten are two different words for a reason.

All off us, saved and unsaved, will stand before God in judgment. Just because you are repentant and saved doesn't mean you won't still stand at judgment and get to see and experience the results of all your actions, both good and bad when you your day comes. I think some of us will squirm and suffer through that, quite a bit in fact, even if we are in the end saved and forgiven.

edit on 24-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

You should ask Kim Davis...

;P

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: missedinformation

I think you are mistaken to say it will be forgotten. Forgiven and forgotten are two different words for a reason.

All off us, saved and unsaved, will stand before God in judgment. Just because you are repentant and saved doesn't mean you won't still stand at judgment and get to see and experience the results of all your actions, both good and bad when you your day comes. I think some of us will squirm and suffer through that, quite a bit in fact, even if we are in the end saved and forgiven.

Total agreement, I think people take too lightly what the experience would be like to look a perfect and loving God in the face and asks you to explain why you continually choose to do evil.
The shame will be great I think.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
My goodness what high standards Christians are held to. I guess if you make a mistake you are not considered a real Christian, so there aren't any -- by your standards. I don't judge people that way. People make mistakes and are imperfect. It's a good thing we have a forgiving God, and not a petty human to decide these issues.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Divorced / Re-married doesn't make any person a lesser "member" of the group

think about this

there are no "pure" religion person out there

everyone has a-little "evil" in them in a sense they have envy, pride and lust

religion books does not make it easy

thats why this thread was created

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
My goodness what high standards Christians are held to. I guess if you make a mistake you are not considered a real Christian, so there aren't any -- by your standards. I don't judge people that way. People make mistakes and are imperfect. It's a good thing we have a forgiving God, and not a petty human to decide these issues.

I "partially" agree with you.
Christians are held to a Higher Standard. We are told to take up our crosses and follow Christ.

If we sin I do not think that makes us no longer a Christian however it does mean we still failed in our goal, to be perfect as Christ is Perfect.

And yes it is good to know that God will still forgive us, however that is not license to live a life sinning just because it is in the moment convenient or simply doing whatever strikes our fancy at any given time.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

I think of it like this:

Remember those times as a child when your parents caught you out doing what you shouldn't and you knew you shouldn't? Remember how you felt when they called you on the carpet? You knew they loved you. You knew you'd done it wrong and you felt bad over it. They knew you'd done it wrong and THEY felt bad over it. They didn't have to be mad at you. Odds are that the times you felt the very worst, they WEREN'T mad at you ... just sad and disappointed.

Think about it. It'll probably be a lot like that, only worse, because I've felt the magnitude of that love and it's a indescribable, just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Now imagine a love like that feeling sad and disappointed over something you did even when you both know you understand it was wrong, even when you both know you are forgiven.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join