It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Mad Genius Built His Own 'Star Wars' Lightsaber And It Runs On Alcohol

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: gpols
a reply to: Phage

And you can go to a decently equipped metal shop and see one in action.

Lighting could be considered a natural lightsaber, with enough of a charge you could probably get the plasma cutting action too.
No. Lightning has no specific length. That's the problem with it being a "light"saber as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Reminds me a of a torch/windproof lighter flame.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Believe it or not, someone wants to make Lightsaber competitions an actual Olympic sport...

Darren Sherman has started a campaign to officially make lightsaber competitions an Olympic event. He calls it the "Light My Saber" campaign, and it aims to bring the sport of lightsabering to the 2016 Olympics at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Sherman says that lightsaber competitions could be individual skills, point-based sparring, or choreograph saber duels. Lightsabering is the fastest growing sword sport, with millions of fans across the globe. This iconic sport deserves to be an official event at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio!

epicstream.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
So what ever became of the 'Star Wars kid' and 'Ryan and the Dorkman'?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Those guys wouldn't last 2 seconds. Olympic sabers. These guys are good. Really good.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 1/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I suppose that depends on whether we're talking real Lightsabers or fake ones...

A fencing sword would be no match for a real Lightsaber which would have a better reach and weigh nothing.

I liked one of the comments below your video: "in the old days you just get stabbed....I like that better..."

edit on 23-1-2016 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

A fencing sword would be no match for a real Lightsaber which would have a better reach and weigh nothing.

Those guys are pretty damned quick.
But get to me when someone has a real lightsaber and lethal sports are allowed in the Olympics. 'Cuz I'm pretty sure those guys would kick any "lightsaber" dweeb's butt.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
That is a very marketable cigarette lighter.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
That is a very marketable cigarette lighter.

Heh.
"Hey baby, want a light? Oops, sorry about the eyebrow."

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

You know many many moons ago, I was sharing a smoke with my then BF and I was trying to be all seksi, and yes I set fire to my hair.
So I won't be buying it

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Actually, I think that Lucas got the basic idea from Niven.

This guy seems to think it came from Isaac Asimov's "force-blade".

He mentions Norse mythology as well...

The Star Wars Origins project began with one question: "How did George Lucas invent the lightsaber?" I thought it would be easy to find an answer, but the search ultimately led to two years of research culminating in this website.

A Wikipedia contributor has identified what I suspect is probably the strongest inspiration on the idea of the lightsaber: the "force-blade" from the Lucky Starr series of science fiction juveniles, originally published 1952-1958 by Isaac Asimov (1920-1992) under the pen name "Paul French." The force-blade is "a short shaft of stainless steel" which can project a force field that can cut through anything, making it "the most vicious weapon in the galaxy."

I think it's a safe bet lightsabers were also influenced by the magic swords from The Lord of the Rings: When Luke watches from across a chasm as his mentor Obi-Wan duels with Darth Vader, that echoes the scene in which Frodo watches from across a chasm as his mentor Gandalf duels with the Balrog. The good guys magic swords (Glamdring and Sting) glow blue, the evil Balrog's magic sword glows red.

Where did Tolkien get his idea for the flaming magic sword in the first place? He was almost certainly inspired by Surtur, the king of the fire giants from Norse mythology. The idea of a flaming sword is at least as old as the Book of Genesis: after Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden, a magic flaming sword guarded the entrance to prevent them from returning (in one part of the Bible the sword is held by an angel, in another the sword magically floats in the air).

www.moongadget.com...

George Lucas also did a video where he discuss' the creation of the Lightsaber...

George Lucas recalls that Star Wars was influenced by pirate and swashbuckling films of the '40s, which showcased the romantic side of fighting, illustrated in characters like Errol Flynn's Robin Hood. With Jedi, who were heroes in this tradition, the director needed a weapon that would match their ideals.

Thus, the lightsaber also became a symbol for more peaceful, honorable times, representing what the galaxy was like before the Empire. Originally, Lucas says, Jedi were meant to fight with just swords. But to give the weapon a technological edge, they became "laser swords," able to deflect incoming fire -- which made sense, character-wise, as Jedi were not meant to be warlike, aggressive fighters.

edit on 23-1-2016 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I can understand the notion of fighting with blades of any sort being honorable. I think the idea of a laser beam with an end makes no sense. So if Lucas considers his creation to be science fiction rather than fantasy, he blew it.

I think Lucas read Niven. I think Lucas was aware of variable swords. I think his lightsaber is a variable sword, which would not look good on the big screen.

Don't you dare get on my case about stasis fields. While we may not be able to make one, we do know that light does not just stop.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

You are being mean about Star Wars. I need you to shush up now.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I like Star Wars. Well, the first one and the latest one anyway.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
I bet it was a hot time in the cold town that night lol. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Geek alert!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

OMG! The 4th video you posted was awesome and totally worth losing a head for.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Also check 'Action Movie Kid' and 'Shave'...

Action Movie Kid was created by a DreamWorks animator who turns his son into a superhero.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Dude why you have to be so boring? do you ever have some fun, have you ever played pretend while a kid? were you a kid at some point in life? you always know it all don't you? every one of your posts seems to be written by a robot lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

lol...a flame saber to light up a joint, great idea
Even the guy himself seems to think this way or the force is pretty strong in that stuff...

Also nice soundtrack which I have managed to track down on youtube...I love it. Thanks for posting this

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join