It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baddogma's Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Rethaya
Awww.. .don't lurk so much!

I, too, am a famous lurker... but realized that all our aspects are helpful to others, somewhere, and putting yourself "out there" is the only way to weave the fascinating tapestry that is humanity ...and now, the Internets.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton
Uh-huh... oneness, duality, oneness... fractal branching of ever increasing complexity, systems within systems, etc.

Welcome and I almost mistook your post for KPBs as your color schemes are similar... as is the profundity!

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

"I believe" you are as correct as we little humans can be. Excellent points.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

No i don't think so. The truth is subjective.

If truth is subjective, what is holding everything together... an opinion? You don't believe in a universal truth?

And if you look for a cause, you spend myriads of pages explaining for what.

To help put together the puzzle pieces... and as you get more of the puzzle you start to see the bigger picture. I've heard that the bigger picture is ultimately you realizing your connection to the bigger picture. Atman meets Brahman sort of stuff.

Cause for what?

I Am objectively conscious. But I seemed to have trapped myself in my own creation.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Uh-huh... oneness, duality, oneness... fractal branching of ever increasing complexity, systems within systems, etc.

Welcome and I almost mistook your post for KPBs as your color schemes are similar... as is the profundity!

I plan on not looking elsewhere on the ATS forum for promoting my self awareness. Great thread, it seems as though you've attracted productive thinkers.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No i don't. I don't know what you mean with holding everything together? Gravity?
But you don't have to answer.
Experience taught me not to argue with people thinking they are god.

@BD, thanks for a wonderfull time. It was fun. I am out.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Well, my advice to ignore one poster who sets you (in general) off stands, as it would be a shame to "lose" anyone... it's rather easy to perceive unpleasantness/negativity and miss a message that's there, just deeper.. .the posts that "set me off" are usually the most poignant ones on some level (that "on some level" is important)... and thus relevant to growth or realization.. .realization or a cementing of view, even if it's a negating view AT SOME LEVEL.

Anyway, it's easy to ignore folks on threads.. .especially when you aren't the host!

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

That was a great post and also a very kind one. It should go without saying that with a topic such as this, everything written is only ever someone's opinion or someone's experience but a timely disclaimer doesn't hurt.

That personal journey is so very important.. and it is amazing how much variety can manifest when individuals speak of their perceptions of 'reality.' We always run the risk of that perception seeming to represent the totality of what is, because for each individual, it happens to be all-encompassing for us at that point in time and space.

I agree and I think that holding a number of viewpoints in mind at once and mulling them over is difficult, but ultimately worthwhile, in order to come to some kind of consensus that each party can tolerate and relate to.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
a reply to: beansidhe

Most beings don't know who they Are...so they love being named.

It's that simple.

One of the most important things to know.

That true name stuff is mostly garbage.

Kev

Ah, I hadn't considered it from that point of view. As you might be realising, I love folklore so I tend to be very biased towards story-telling-meanings if you see what I mean.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

That's an interesting perspective, thank you for sharing it. I hope you aren't truly "out" of this thread, as I'd like to learn more about how you see these things.

It might be important to note that I am approaching this facet from a scientific framework more than a philosophical one. Though, they are frequently hard to tell apart!

In that, we really couldn't take x+y=z to represent a unified theory in a workable capacity. I might be missing something that you see clearly though. I would struggle to predict patterns on a universal scale with the given equation.

Though, we can use that simple equation to create the appearance and perception of great complexity. Which is what leads me to seriously ponder the possibility that despite appearances and the sheer enormity of what is happening here, we can accurately predict behaviors with a few underlying principles. Eventually, perhaps, with a single underlying principle.

This is actually at the core of my work, as its application in optimization and automation (among many other things, to say the least) is exceedingly powerful and I have been outrageously excited about it all.

I suppose this line of thinking brings aspects and methods that may not be particularly welcome/relevant in this thread though, so it might be a bit presumptuous to speak about the topic at hand from that perspective.
edit on 4-2-2016 by Serdgiam because: dern autocorrect

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

That was a "Hmmmmm" post for me to, having read oodles of occult/folklore and partially buying that "true name power" idea.

So hmmmmm... and hiya, Bean.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Hiya Baddog. I still like the idea, and I lean heavily towards it being a bit of a logophile too. But in saying that, I'm always willing to hear another side to things - how else would we learn?

And I suppose the very fact that it's such a recurrent theme in old stories gives it more value in my mind. It meant something to a long line of people once upon a time and therefore had meaning to them. It's made it down through the centuries intact, so worth exploring in my view.

How's life, anyway? Any more spookiness happening?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I agree and I think that holding a number of viewpoints in mind at once and mulling them over is difficult, but ultimately worthwhile, in order to come to some kind of consensus that each party can tolerate and relate to.

At this point in my life, I see vast, unimaginable beauty in the variety and diversity of how we all perceive the same thing a bit differently. Looking at it from a programming standpoint, the ability for a system to sustain such an array of co-existing, but independent, pieces is nothing short of astounding. And then when we consider its done continuously.. how splendid!

I learned the value in all of this during my "militant atheist" phase, which unsurprisingly, coincided with the teenage years. I thought it was so silly what some people believe in, to the point I felt it was important to convert others.

But, when I thought about it.. I was discarding the concepts because of how they were defined by people I thought were wrong. It turned out I was the silly one. If I thought they were so wrong, why was I tying my own conclusions to the definitions they presented? Was there really much of a difference between me blindly rejecting the data and those who blindly accepted it?

When we take that personal exploration, all of a sudden, the entire premise changes. For me, it changed into trying to understand the experiences behind the words, instead of getting caught up in, and reacting to, trigger words.

I'm pretty sure I'm still silly though.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I like your systemic viewpoint; sometimes I forget to stand far enough back. We adjust and readjust our behaviour constantly to try to keep the dance going. Pretty amazing really.

You might be silly, and that would make me silly too. I wrote a thread a while ago about suddenly realising that I had misinterpreted the word 'god'. I had taken what I had thought others were saying and applied it to myself. Like you, I had 'owned' their definition and then rallied against a definition! We're kind of wonky as a species sometimes!

When we take that personal exploration, all of a sudden, the entire premise changes. For me, it changed into trying to understand the experiences behind the words, instead of getting caught up in, and reacting to, trigger words.

It takes a while, but once you find out more you can see who is literal thinker, who speaks in metaphor, you get a sense of intent etc. That makes the microdance a bit easier but there's still plenty scope for stepping on someone's toes unintentionally. I like that thought, finding the experience behind the words is crucial to help us percieve the message as it was intended.

Nah, I'm pretty sure you're far from silly.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Other than the daily, startling little synchronicity events dealing with mental words echoing in reality, naw... no appearing red pepper packets, ghosties or errant bees today.. thanks for asking

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Heh, I had that ego boosting oh-so-smart superior atheist phase in my childhood through midlife, too! Most smart folks in the Western secular world do.

I now know there is some sort of spiritual aspect to life, but I still think organized, man mangled team religion is the worst thing to have happened to mankind.

No offense to the religious who may be reading this thread for some masochistic reason... heh... and I might be wrong and will have an eternity in hell to think about it!

edit on 2/4/2016 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/4/2016 by Baddogma because: sloppy fixy

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

No i don't. I don't know what you mean with holding everything together?

Whatever the source of our existence is, must be objectively True. I think this is why He is often called "The One True God". He is a He because emanating entities are given masculine identity, and He is the emanating cause of all things... "through Him all things were made", "without him nothing was made that has been made", etc.

But you don't have to answer.
Experience taught me not to argue with people thinking they are god.

@BD, thanks for a wonderfull time. It was fun. I am out.

I thought we were conversing, not necessarily arguing. Don't be so sensitive - seriously - I was not even being obtrusive or offensive in any way. We are all sons/daughters of God, if that belief offends you and you'd like to take a more pessimistic, belittling role with your consciousness then go ahead; I do not suggest it, but you can do what you want with it: All evidence points to the contrary. Our opposable thumbs, and our degree of encephalization indicate that we are creators; the human body is the vessel in which our Creator originally chose to manifest.

Maybe I'm completely wrong though, perhaps our ancestry is with the apes and we are merely faced with a meaningless opportunity to embrace the doom of eternal darkness upon death.
edit on 4-2-2016 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Heh, I had that ego boosting oh-so-smart superior atheist phase in my childhood through midlife, too! Most smart folks in the Western secular world do.

Yeah, I think such a phase is necessary though, you can't just go on believing things you don't understand... It helps to understand why.

I now know there is some sort of spiritual aspect to life, but I still think organized, man mangled team religion is the worst thing to have happened to mankind. No offense to the religious who may be reading this thread for some masochistic reason... heh... and I might be wrong and will have an eternity in hell to think about it!

The keepers of Truth historically have done a less than stellar job at guarding and genuinely expressing the sacred words of the prophets. This shouldn't alienate the truth seeker from the texts they were trying to safeguard

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I had a very strange encounter with somebody working at a store once. She was a cashier. She was really nice and everything but when she smiled it gave me the creeps so bad that my skin crawled. It was like there was something wrong about her. I just couldn't put my finger on it and still can't. I always tried to avoid her checkout lane when I was there because she freaked me out so bad. This is from somebody that isn't bothered by much of anything. Has anyone else here had the same kind of experience?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Hi skidmark,yes i have come across individuals like that.They don't look weird,as you mentioned can even be polite and friendly enough- but they do make one's skin crawl/ give one the feeling there's something Very "off" with the person.

A case i will never forget,was actually someone i saw on tv once,many years ago when we still watched tv, and not as usual in "real life". He was a member of the American men's gymnastic team.Every time i saw him on the screen, i got this most horrible feeling, almost physically nauseous- the very sight of him really upset me greatly.

And Nothing remarkable about the man,he was a young, superfit,mildly handsome man,he wouldn't even stand out in a crowd. But the sight of him filled me with absolute dread and disgust.

I've often wondered about that, in the years after.

What i Have noticed in real life meetings with people,the ones i take an instant dislike+distrust in-if one happens to get to know them better or spend moderate amounts of time around them,the reason usually becomes clear. They turn out to be very unpleasant people behind the friendly veneer. I have found most of them to be hiding psychopathic/sociopathic natures. Not psycho as in stabstabstab but the types who truly have no feeling for other humans,who will bleed them white, suck them dry,take advantage in any conceivable way.Use you up and spit you out type of people.People who cause lots of trouble,are kleptomaniacs,try to break up longstanding relationships and friendships,etc.Just a helluva lot of unnecessary trouble and strife they bring into one's life.

Of course the stabstabstab after it puts the lotion on it's skin types Are out there also.

ALWAYS trust your instincts. The times i have been foolish enough to ignore or 2nd-guess mine, thr results were always grim.
edit on 5-2-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join