It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baddogma's Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Per your request:

kevinprettybear.com...

You have my permission to cross post this, discuss this, burn this.

But this is why i probably don't have much of a place in your forum
topic. I'm almost like antimatter for good old fashioned mystics and
new agers.

Love,

Kevin

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The thing is, no one is "right" and no one is "wrong". If something works for someone and they get tangible and verifiable results -- good enough.

No one can ever really "prove" any of this stuff until they go out into the world and experience it for themselves. I can tell you things, I can explain things...but in the end it's all just hersay and supposition until you yourself experience it.

The felt presence of direct experience is the most powerful thing we have. It tells us what's BS and what's not.

If anyone tells you that they have it figured out, or that they know how it works -- they're full of crap. Far to often people are afraid to take risks and experiment and seek answers themselves. These people rely on second-hand information that may or may not have actual value.

All I can speak from is my experiences, my journeys and my theories on why things may be the way they are. They're right for me, but may not be right for you. The whole "your mileage may vary" thing -- but your free to my knowledge if you think it useful.

The most real things to you are going to come from your own experiences. Your laughs, your tears, your hugs and smiles. That which YOU interact and directly deal with make up the sum bulk of your world and reality. Don't take someone else's word for how things are, go out and see for yourself. If someone says its raining outside, go peek out a window (metaphorically speaking).

Don't just be a passive observer, taking in whatever people throw at you. Find our for yourself whats BS and what's not.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No one can ever really "prove" any of this stuff until they go out into the world and experience it for themselves.

That reminds me of what many American Indian nations call the creator or creators. They call it The great mystery because nobody living will ever really know for sure and who knows if you'll find out when you're dead. I guess that could encompass all of metaphysics, as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I've had quite a few high strange thing happening, but not so much with Ghosts or the idea of Demons. Only time I think that I might have had a ghost visiting was one time walking home, when I was pretty close, I heard a for sale sign sounded like it got punched, and pretty recently when I went to sleep, felt like something tip toed over my feet.

Plenty Ufo sight seeing though, but they come and go when ever they please, and have no idea why they'd be interested in this boring part of the woods. Maybe it twas pity or sympathy on their part for making my perception of life a little grandeur and interesting for once...Sometimes too grand.

I've had plenty of sensory issues, good or bad that would be considered high strange. Like out guessing people, instantaneous reflexes or knowing what they are going to do in fighting video games. To even feeling like I'm ripping my self apart mentally.

I also wonder why the other religions don't have such ghostly phenomena happen to them, like the many Christ believers that I hear from?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

Ah, yes.. .thanks. An infuriating read for some, heh.

However, as much as aspects of that scenario hit check-marks off my list, the old question "what are we and how much remains at physical death" still looms... .though definitions of terms vary, too.

I get your view negates much of this talk, in general, and that some "feel good we're all gonna stay ourselves forever" dogmas are gonna get stepped on, but so what? You're just an old crank shaman. .right?!

I've already noticed the dead folks I've (possibly) run into were shadows (or merely aspects) of their former selves... and wondered... my life long terror of dissolution comes to play, too, though as I grow older and jaded, death seems like a nice rest.. .as long as after I fall over, my consciousness isn't still in my rental house, wondering where everyone went.

So, after the plasma critters use us as tupla factories/power plants, what's left of the complexity we feel is "us?" in your view I should add.. . and remembering we're just chewin' fat, not making new dogmas/tulpas.

edit on 1/25/2016 by Baddogma because: add-fix

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Good points... all.

Strangely (or not at all) the reality I find myself in tends to promote that "whatever works for YOU" view you touch on... almost as if the darned thing was designed that way, or something.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Thank you very, very much for coming KPB.

Those of you who are unaware of Kev are in for a treat if he bothers to stick around. He has a unique view as a shaman/scientist and some of his findings are unsettling .. .but interesting and might even have truth!

Hey Baddogma!!

I'm stopping my reading right here for a moment, just to say "hi" and that I've been loving this thread! Thank you!!

Also, KellyPrettyBear...You likely don't know me at all, lol...but I really want to tell you that I'm so glad you're participating in this thread. I also love what you have to say and how you write.

Everybody's stories are so interesting! I'm going to finish reading now.

jacygirl

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

Good points... and welcome (if not already.. losing track of who's where, heh).

As I understand it, ghosty-like things are common world-wide, not just in the areas effected by the Mid-Eastern mystical explosion (or MEME for short... my term, heh) .. . in the Buddhist/Dao/Shinto/Islam areas, anyway.. .not too read up on Hindu, though, but guess they experience plasma/energy lifeforms, too.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Indeed. The work of Carl Jung (and those who followed him) comes to mind.

I'm almost (almost) willing to consider that some mental structures (or archetypes if one prefers) actually are innate, intrinsic or inherited.

I'm not sure anyone is actually looking at these issues scientifically anymore ... culturally we seem to be stuck on the "brain in the jar" theory of consciousness.

And that's a pity; it's important material, perhaps more now than ever.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Hola back, Jacywoman... welcome and glad you dropped in... I'll grab an expresso for ya... with a pink straw, just 'cause.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'd argue that we find those "figures" on cave walls dating back several millenia, so ... yeah ... it's not a modern phenomenon.

(Actually, Neolithic cave art is one of my current passions ... sooo, there is perhaps bias in my comment.)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Have you ever had somebody just pop out of nowhere and vanish? That happened to me once and it scared the ever living crap out of me.

I was working as a cleaner at an insurance company. This building is in an office park. There is a neighborhood close by but a high chain link fence separates the houses from the office buildings. The way the door cleaners use is situated, you can see the backs of all of the houses and there is a clear view for quite a distance either way.

I went outside to take the rolling trash can I used across the parking lot to the dumpster. When I came outside I made a point to make a thorough scan of the area because cleaners have been robbed at night taking trash out. I looked around and saw nobody at all. Well, I was almost halfway across the parking lot and saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head and there was a guy there! There is no way he could have gotten there without being heard or without my seeing him when I came out. Like I said, it's an open area with zero hiding places. I also had a really bad sense of dread when I saw him.

He walked ahead of me, not even acknowledging that I was there. I followed behind, really freaked out but the job has to be done, and he shows no reaction to the noisy rattle of the wheels on asphalt. I got to the dumpster and tossed the trash in, while he had gone into the parking lot next door. This lot had no cars in it and also had zero places to hide. Between my putting the bag in the dumpster (which took all of five seconds) and turning back to see where he was, the guy was gone. Again, there was no place at all he could have gone in that short of time. Just POOF gone. I ran like hell back to the building and didn't feel safe until the door was locked behind me. I remember clearly saying to my coworker, "Okay, everybody out of the pool! I am not going back out there!" Then I told her what happened. We were very uneasy when leaving for our next building but nobody was outside when we came out. Thankfully.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Thanks.
I apologise for not responding earlier but I'm letting this one build a bit then I'll have something to look forward to on a long night.
I've been a reader for quite a while so I trust this will develop into something substantial and I'm familiar with a lot of the regulars already. Im new to posting here though and so I'm unable to add much but text.

I hereby second the above remark about politeness. Cheers.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Huh... thanks for that entry. That "wrong" feeling is odd, isn't it? I still cannot decide if it's because the thing is giving off "evil" vibes itself, or is just so weird that we perceive them as "off" and weird ourselves out... or maybe a frequency or bandwidth thing?

Have I seen that same thing? Wweeeellll ... I had a scruffy dog/cat thing with no face appear in my living room in the third haunted rental I had, and then it (thankfully) vanished and was one of the only apparitions I've actually seen that looked "real" and wasn't a blur/shadow thing... aside from the black head and shoulders that popped outta a wall for a split second, heh, and once saw a solid looking human with a black cloak or cape walk around the edge of my present house and then seemingly vanish in seconds, where anyone running would've still been visible, so... yeah, maybe?

My friend who is quite the materialist admitted he saw a guy wink out on a busy street once.

And a few "psychics" I know assert that we all see ghosts, every day, and just can't tell them from the living... but I have no real first hand info on that.. .but would guess that a whole lotta folks have had that happen, too.

I just hope if it's caused by something like drifting dimensional doorways, then they are rare and people (like me) don't get unlucky and all-of-a-sudden find themselves in deep space, or something!

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Ah, yes.. .thanks. An infuriating read for some, heh.

However, as much as aspects of that scenario hit check-marks off my list, the old question "what are we and how much remains at physical death" still looms... .though definitions of terms vary, too.

I get your view negates much of this talk, in general, and that some "feel good we're all gonna stay ourselves forever" dogmas are gonna get stepped on, but so what? You're just an old crank shaman. .right?!

I've already noticed the dead folks I've (possibly) run into were shadows (or merely aspects) of their former selves... and wondered... my life long terror of dissolution comes to play, too, though as I grow older and jaded, death seems like a nice rest.. .as long as after I fall over, my consciousness isn't still in my rental house, wondering where everyone went.

So, after the plasma critters use us as tupla factories/power plants, what's left of the complexity we feel is "us?" in your view I should add.. . and remembering we're just chewin' fat, not making new dogmas/tulpas.

Yes of course, you silver tongued devil. If you'd put it any differently I wouldn't have answered.

Let me put it like maybe one of the Buddhas would have.. or someone who
hit one of the Buddhas on the head with a rock and stole his rice bowl..

Drops are only drops when not in the ocean.

Yet they are deathless and forever, as if you wait long enough, that drop
will splish splosh up again for a moment before becoming something else.

That little dance of being and not being in cycles is the third most
significant aspect of "reality". It's really beautiful to watch it..
makes me cry.

If it's any comfort to you, after you experience your first or second soul
death in one life, it gets to be old hat.. and you get comfortable with it..
and you wonder how you could have ever been so dumb to be afraid.

You see, there is a little dab of "you" in the "shore" which bounds the
"ocean"; and both shore and ocean are forever.

Sometimes you find yourself awake as a bird.

Sometimes you find yourself awake as a sentient Universe.

Sometimes you are not awake at all.

It's all good.

But you are correct on "shades". Yup.

It's only in recent history.. say the past 1800 years or so,
where this evil conspiracy about "souls" has pushed aside
that bit of truth about 'shades' as you say. You are correct.

But my answer is infuriating no doubt.. it gives nothing to
do..

but that is the point.

If you have to 'do something' to be yourself, then you
are doing it in-artfully / painfully.

So you see? I have nothing that anyone wants... because
to want it, a whole lot of little drops have to want it..
to get off the Merry Goround ride.. and that's not
something I can wave a wand, or a smoke pipe
at anyone with.. they'd have to find the easy to
find path on their own.

Kev

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

So what's the difference between a magician and a shaman?

Extra points if you keep it concise and limit the answer to one paragraph.

Kev

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I'll be content with that answer... individuated piece... .or drop in an ocean... and it's an old Buddhist and maybe even Sanskrit view... kind of and exchanging some terminology, anyway. It makes sense.

And the difference between a shaman and a magician.. .er, a stage magician or a right/left path Crowley reading seed flinging kind? One sort has a wand or wienie and one has his just wit and a helper? One consults nature spirits with funny names and one consorts with spirit spirits with even funnier names? Is that a paragraph?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Sure thing!

But my favorite character is "fat Sam on the wall", so your pretty blondness
and fire-breathing dragons have no power over me!

*cough*

Kev

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Magicians are fools who deny being manipulated; shamans not only acknowledge it, they make it look good!

Kev

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Whoever said the Universe was put here to make you happy?

I"ll give you triple credit if you get this one right.. I think you
have it in you.... 4 words is all you need... or just 1 word
if you are really on your game today!

Kev

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join