It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baddogma's Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 236
<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

created a monster

Well, it's not the first time... I'll own my beast... I just need to potty train it a bit!

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Cooperative competition is a thing

Instead of winning at any and all costs, it focuses on competition as a driving factor for growth.

As it is, we tend to want to "win" with the least amount of effort possible. Which usually involves cutting each other off at the knees. This inevitably leads to lower and lower standards, and less actual progress, whereas "cooperative competition" is more likely to lead to an environment that individuals reach heights and achievements they never would have imagined on their own.

I don't think greed is completely at fault, but it ties into the topic strongly. Perhaps it can even be seen as a positive attribute in an entirely different social structure.. But, our current methods of satiating it are catalyzed by the above ("destructive competition," if you will) and the fact that real world value is much less important than cultivating superiority. Replete with a scoring system that has no intrinsic value beyond what society ascribes (fiat currency).

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

That part about real world value and cultivating superiority is tricky. And i'm not sure what you mean in the second part of the sentence. "The fact that real world value is less important"

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It looks like Donald Trump is helping Hillary Clinton to become the next President of the United States, and that he has no chance.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs
a reply to: Anaana

That really is a baddass avatar isn't it?

Baddass? Sheldon?

Sheldon is a wubble and I wub him.

originally posted by: Reverbs

A very silly man, not only could he not keep it in his trousers, but didn't quite comprehend that the real "secret societies" frequent the board rooms and back rooms, and where they cross over is how the mokroye delo gets organised. His Daddy paid the mob to rig his election and then he bit the hand that fed him. Silly boy would perhaps be a more apt description.

You know, I can't quite justify it, but I've found myself over the past couple of days rooting for Trump...

For you...

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Sheldon?!!?? I thought it was Luke Perry! Hey, 90210 rocks! Haven't you been watching South Park? Member berries are making the 80s and 90s cool again!

Damn it, I knew I should have hung onto those sling-back kitten heels. There was nothing cool about the 80s, I have the photographs to prove it.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Look what dumbass found!

originally posted by: Dumbass

A little lovin

I don't know if he is also saving s&f for retirement so star him here

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Its not exactly "woo," but a brief explanation would probably be a good thing.

"Real world value" would be something that has actual value itself, beyond what society places on it. Items like food, shelter, even tables or computers could be considered to have real world value. They directly meet a want or need for an individual or group of individuals.

We live in a story, however, that approaches wants and needs through the proxy of currency. Large amounts of people going hungry? Give them money! People dying from exposure? Solve it with money!

After generations of this, it becomes how we approach nearly any issue. This greatly limits our options in actually addressing much of anything. In other words, its gotten to the point that in many cases, those people would continue starving if money wasn't available (and so on).

I'm sure we have all heard "well, who is going to pay for that?!" vs. "We need to pay for it!" Instead, we should have discussions on how to provide the actual item of value, in this case food, rather than a discussion based on some meaningless middleman. All of our discussions then revolve around the scoring system (a control loop) instead of how we might solve problems outside of the "game."

Probably a thread in and of itself, but I think that's a good "brief" overview on what I mean and why it might be important.

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Sounds like you're suggesting a bartering system. I don't like greedy humans financially incentivizing things that have no business making money, like politics, health, education, and agriculture. These are all now "businesses", and have been fixed to make greedy people very rich. They sacrifice quality for quantity. Maybe they fell like they have to in a country of 300,000,000+ people, but I assure you that it is unnecessary. I've also had the thoughts that you cannot blame the economic systems in place, but rather the people who keep them going.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Its not exactly "woo," but a brief explanation would probably be a good thing.

It is totally woo, I'd go as far as to say this is 99.8999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of what most woo is all about...nice post.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Trippy! (with u-tube video)

Check this one out!

Medicalxpress.com (additional content to Phys.org): Breakthrough opens door to study hallucinations scientifically.

So they cannot dose you and expect an experience to be the same for all lab rats. So they have a flickering screen to induce visual hallucinations. At first I was like, "wha?" Then I looked at the still photo below and I was like, "Yeah, I saw that!" Still not the same as talking to God but cool parlor trick.

They warn you, "Do not watch if you have epilepsy"

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Cool thanks. Nice reminder why I hate my brain, I give it sthg where it's allowed to have hallucinations and I see flickering lights. Urch. I don't even get proper hallucinations with psilocybin. It's sad, really.

But the 2nd video is cool, beautiful is that fake with the drum making a water spiral? That's awesome if not!
And "everything owes its existence solely and completely to sound" is Alan (?) Watts, right?

Psychology is maybe the field in research where we just discovered the equivalent to electricity. Still 100/200 years before it gets interesting...

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

More like a collision between barter and re-imagining currency.

My own concept is currency that is representative of real world value, in real time. So, currency is accrued on a per service or per transaction basis. It would include fluid modifiers to be able to address different needs in different environments. Beyond just an occupation, someone(s) could also earn currency by, say, repairing the pothole in front of their house. It would also have provisions that are based in efficacy and quality. If someone were to help another individual and that individual went on to change the world on a large scale because of that assistance, it would be reflected in their earnings.

For most, very little would change, except an incentive shift and the opportunity to earn money through a decentralized structure.

The trick has been in designing an algorithm that most can understand quickly and easily. I feel that is important, perhaps even critical.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Thank you

Would you mind expanding though? I don't quite see it the same way, so I'd love to gain greater insight into it.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Winner! We have a winner!

Most Random ATS Link Of The Day!

I was reading a 0 flag thread about Mad Cow disease (BSE) being transmitted to goats and noticed it was from 2005. The last post is what I linked above! Where it leads is to a crazy story in Bend, Oregon. How it ended up on a 11 year old thread is beyond me! Its topic is sooooo meta café!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Cool thanks. Nice reminder why I hate my brain, I give it sthg where it's allowed to have hallucinations and I see flickering lights. Urch. I don't even get proper hallucinations with psilocybin. It's sad, really.

If someone says to you "picture this...(insert whatever)", can you? I can't. I didn't realise that this was even a thing until quite recently, and then, as I do, I did a compare and contrast with my brother. Turns out, when you say that to him, he gets a picture. What I get is a feeling of or about that thing, but absolutely nothing visual. In terms of learning this is important to know. My brother has an eidetic memory, which means he only has to see or read something once, and it is stored and available to recall. I on the other hand learn kinesthetically, my memory is dependent on employing all of my sensory information. My brother has great fun on psychotropics and psychedelics, or did, he's chugging on a bit these days, mildly tamer. They do very little for me, colours and senses heightened, but no pretty pictures, or non-pretty pictures for that matter. I am however prone to hallucinations when I am unwell, the thing about those hallucinations though is that I am unaware (at the time [usually]) that they are hallucinations. So I can hallucinate involuntarily, but not voluntarily usually.

Each and every brain is uniquely configured, you can't expect your's to do things that others can, instead look for the flexibilities and capabilities of your own, work with what you've got, and give it what it needs to flourish and thrive.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Trippy! (with u-tube video)

Check this one out!

Medicalxpress.com (additional content to Phys.org): Breakthrough opens door to study hallucinations scientifically.

So they cannot dose you and expect an experience to be the same for all lab rats. So they have a flickering screen to induce visual hallucinations. At first I was like, "wha?" Then I looked at the still photo below and I was like, "Yeah, I saw that!" Still not the same as talking to God but cool parlor trick.

They warn you, "Do not watch if you have epilepsy"

Interesting study. There is also a link folowing on from that article to a study about the fold in the prefrontal lobe and it's relation to why some schitzophrenics (sp?) hallucinate while others do not.

On a side note, 'cos it is kind of a fascination of mine, have you heard of Akinetopsia? They did an alien abduction scenario on House using that as the eventual diagnosis.

Inconspicuous akinetopsia can be selectively and temporarily induced using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) of area V5 of the visual cortex in healthy subjects.[11] It is performed on a 1 cm² surface of the head, corresponding in position to area V5. With an 800-microsecond TMS pulse and a 28 ms stimulus at 11 degrees per second, V5 is incapacitated for about 20–30 ms. It is effective between −20 ms and +10 ms before and after onset of a moving visual stimulus. Inactivating V1 with TMS could induce some degree of akinetopsia 60–70 ms after the onset of the visual stimulus. TMS of V1 is not nearly as effective in inducing akinetopsia as TMS of V5.[11]

Gross akinetopsia is an extremely rare condition. Patients have profound motion blindness and struggle in performing the activities of daily living. Instead of seeing vision as a cinema reel, these patients have trouble perceiving gross motion. Most of what is known about this extremely rare condition was learned through the case study of one patient, LM. LM described pouring a cup of tea or coffee difficult "because the fluid appeared to be frozen, like a glacier".[4] She did not know when to stop pouring, because she could not perceive the movement of the fluid rising. LM and other patients have also complained of having trouble following conversations, because lip movements and changing facial expressions were missed.[4][5] LM stated she felt insecure when more than two people were walking around in a room: "people were suddenly here or there but I have not seen them moving".[4] Movement is inferred by comparing the change in position of an object or person. LM and others have described crossing the street and driving cars to also be of great difficulty.[4][5] LM started to train her hearing to estimate distance.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I will BUT I need to dig out my text books if I am going to do it properly (and if a job's worth doin'...)...that way I can give you more than just a jumble of my undistilled thoughts, I can give you the thoughts of those far wiser and accomplised than I who helped inform my opinion on the matter.

And you're welcome.

Later.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I never really thought of it much either. I am semi-eidetic. It is kind of strange because it mostly pertains to the written word. It makes schooling pretty easy for me which means I am pretty lazy learner! I do not like getting full up on facts. Now that I think about it, probably why I like beer so much--keeps me from remembering everything!

Did you read the North Bend, Oregon report from the random ATS link? It was very strange! People hallucinating due to unknown chemicals and it is passed on through contact! Reminds of _9Mother_9_Horse... story!! What if it was true! Strange place we inhabit. Where did I leave my flesh interface...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I can picture things easily.. Thta's actually how I "think" I just play movies.. Like today I played me walking to a bus stop getting on the bus and goign to the bank handing the m a check walking back to a bus stop riding the bus and walking back here, and then another thought popped in as I was walking home so the movie took a detour towards a store so I could pick up some beer..

I don't actually have an inner voice anymore unless I'm reading or trying to write. My mind doesn't go "OHH # we forgot to pay the electric bill!!" It's more like a feeling that gets worse and I see imags of my money and I start doing math, well visual math of the money as bills separating out whats mine and spent and I have too much left so I see electric bill on my fridge or something like that..

That's how I think 90% of the time.

right now I'm doing half and half words and images, so I can translate for this page. But yea I remember back when I was four I heard the eF word and felt all it's power and anger directed from my dad to my mom, and you know what F word looks like? The version that rhymes with truck?

It looks like a blue plastic shovel LOADED with sand to the point the shaft or handle part is bending down a little..

"Compound words" sent a load of poundcake into my mouth so full I needed water.. Now that time it was a feeling and not an image, I added the image secondary..

hahaha, my mind is goofy, and I'm startig to notice me and teot share some similarities.. I guess we really are brothers. I drink beer for the same reason teot..

Hey Anaana.. You said that last song was for me.. It was kind of a perfect song for me actually. Just funny is all.. Secretly looks around suspiciously...

edit on 13-10-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join