It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Baddogma's Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 201
<< 198  199  200    202  203  204 >>

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:13 PM
a reply to: Anaana

Just now noticed the peeping goat! I had one of those "Where's Waldo" moments! The colors are nice! And we have cats and the moon (this thread's theme for the past few weeks). Along with 3s (the snake coiled around the tree). Or am I reading too much into it?

Is the bird a self portrait (based on your avatar)?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 03:58 PM
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

I am not sure that in the over all context of Geiger's work I would interpret them as looking serene. Unless, I suppose, it is that serenity that some people see in the faces of dead loved ones. A passive acceptance kind of serenity perhaps? They're kind of brutal in their suspension. Posed and positioned. Hmm...serene like Stepford Wives, may be. Interesting though. Despite the mechanisation or exo-skeleton aspect of it, his work is very mute. As you say, kind of like Munch. Never really thought about it like that. It speaks unspeakable things silently.

I can't drive anything more powerful than a bicycle. I do at times have romantic notions of a horse and gypsy wagon, but when considering the practicalities my books become problematic and the dream quickly dissolves. I hope, at some point, to find a quiet corner where I and my books can live happily ever after without too much intrusion between excursions. Once my lad has finished growing. I hope that you manage to resolve your difficulties and get to take to the road, it sound like your very own "Mystery Machine". Or a Furthur?

I originally was going to have a full fairy-ring of psilocybe semilanceata, with a Heracles figure in the centre bound to a tree...but it didn't turn out that way, and the mushroom followed more the John Allegro idea of the mushroom as symbol "Sacred Mushroom" theory, rather than R Gordon Wasson's "Soma" of revelation. That definately informed though, you're right.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 04:28 PM

I hadn't noticed that he snaked three times. Three is more visually pleasing probably.

I'm the fish in my avatar. Caught by the Fisher King.

The animals are all male,the Early Spider Orchid is testicular in name only, she does disguise herself as a little blue man though.

I'm pleased that you managed to get back into your place without too much trouble and appreciate you noticing my goat (the devil's in the details).

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:13 PM

So I grabbed my keys and returned the spare set to the landlord. I walked on down to the pub and found a seat (most locals have given up even looking. They just don't show up anymore and leave the seats for the tourists) and was greeted with, "Where have you been?" Me, "I was here on Tuesday..." "Oh, I wasn't. Seems like I haven't seen you in a couple weeks!" Me, "I saw you on Monday! It has only been 3 days!" And hey, even I take a break from drinking beer. 3 days is all it takes and I am MIA. lol.

So they serve an awesome brunch. I show up at 2 PM on Saturday. I get, "Hey! You're here early". Me, "I always come in for brunch because you have 15 different types of hot sauce out for the bloody may bar." Bartender, "Just seems weird having you in at noon..." Me, "It is 2 PM!" Bartender, "It is! Man, today is dragging!" I gave him a wth look, Me, "I just gave you two hours fast forward!". I got back a cynical, "I hate this shift..." What?!

But I did remember to pay the utilities! I should be good on electricity for a few months!

[ETA: We have creeped up to 75 °F and it is kind of hazy. Hottest part of the day to come. Mmmmmmm, beer!]

edit on 18-7-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:45 PM

Indeed eyes carry way more emotion to me than any facial expression ever could... dead and lifeless does carry that serene quality of staring into the pale light of void with no glimmer of hope just detachment. Nice observation.

Well, It's sort of themed the RV and it's contents on the way to getting there... going for a Victorian/depression era 1920s sort of feeling, but not that "steam punk" business Kitchen colors are greens for the cabinetry and reds and coppers for the appliances, vaseline glassware, enameled cast iron cookery, glass work counter top inlays, stained glass windows, carved moldings and cabinets, damask fabric patterns, gray stained hardwoods, patterned tiles, marble tile and red toilet, vanity, and shower with black shag non mold mildew sort and padding.

Kinda a gypsy post modern mid century art deco thing going on, thats just got a very relaxing and comfortable atmosphere...

Of course, when I do get on the road I want to explore all things kitsch and zany... all of those tourist traps with big fake dinosaurs, giant balls of yarn etc.

edit on 18-7-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:41 AM

Does it count as brunch if it's after lunch? Surely 2 pm qualifies as Lunner? Or do I not understand the principle of brunch? Likely.

I am far more notable in my absence, I find and in work matters, usually absent when present. I can relate to the bar tender's inability to place themselves, in time, relative to those needing service when your mind's a million miles away. It's like staring out at a sunny day from behind your school desk and the teacher asks you a question. The lights are on, the body is going through well-rehearsed motions, but the controller is completely AWOL.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 05:11 AM

That sounds fabulous! It sounds very home away from home, and trailing around after fake dinosaurs sounds like the kind of quest that will take you round about all sorts of hidden and forgotten places. I think you have a good plan there, I hope that it works out for you. All I'm looking for is a quiet little spot where I can sit outside, potter round and grow things. The smaller the living space the better, I look forward to less cleaning in my future, a shed with a bed may be. Your RV even sounds too high maintenance for my taste. No offense meant, just that, given the choice, I am a complete slob. Glass tops would cause interference.

I wonder if that is why I find them discomforting. The vacancy. I am curious now, as to what Geiger himself felt he was expressing. Or commenting on about society more generally. The more I think about it, the more it seems that the horror is not so much in the horror aspect, but in the passive acceptance depicted in the faces. Your "no glimmer of hope" comment really set me on edge. Pandora's box completely empty...?

I've been escape bingeing on Star Trek DS9, and there are a couple of episodes where the crew go back to 2024 at a time of widespread civil unrest. It's a two parter, season three. Anyway at the end of the second part, Bashir turns to Sisko and says, "What I can't understand, is how they ever let it get so bad?"

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:32 PM
Kissed by Karma

Last week, was too poor to hang at the bar so had a couple nights off (did laundry). Payday was last Friday and that is the day I locked myself out. Brunch is like breakfast and lunch but with alcohol! (Homer J Simpson, Prophet).

Last night, at the end of the bar, close to the TV and under the AC sipping hefeweizens. People pour into the seats to my left only to paged back to the front desk to be seated in the dining room proper. The left of me is deliberately left open so bartenders can put out drinks for the servers on that side of the bar. People still wander in and say, "Oh look here is a spot" only to slowly realize that it is not really a place to stand. A couple of those come and go. I end up talking with a couple servers while they wait for their drinks. Then they too leave. What is left there? A wad of folded twenties!

I get off the chair and pick it up. I ask the bartender who takes out a clean bar mop (rag) in which I place the whole wad. I watch the rest of the game. People come and go. Nobody comes back asking about their missing wad of money. None of the servers are short. At the end of his shift, the bartender comes around and discretely hands me the bar mop. Out comes the wad and a quick count reveals $180 bucks! I order another IPA using my new found wealth!

I have beer money for the rest of the week! I will even get a nice lunch out of it! Red curry is calling my name.

Thank you for the love Miss Karma!

Your humble servant,

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:59 PM

make sure you offer a spoonful of that curry to miss karma

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:14 PM
a reply to: Peeple

Probably one for each lunch! I might get three meals from that! I wonder why I love spicy food on a hot day?! As I walked up the alley, the kitchen door was open. I smelled this wonderful aroma of curry, shoots, bell peppers, and spiciness! Oh, it was wonderful! I got in, paid, and was told that they just started on my meal. So it was my lunch that I smelled walking over! Perfect timing!

Luv ya Miss K! *kisses*

[ETA: I just put on Temple of the Dog, what is the first song? Hunger Strike (I'm going hungry...... which is the opposite of how I feel!]

edit on 19-7-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: irony

edit on 19-7-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add emoticon

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:04 PM

Just note that what goes in is multiplied by powers of 13 before being expelled, so the savory aromas morph to offending miasma in a proportional and predictable manner easily checked in any public restroom within walking distance of the local ethnic eatery.

Though we who dwell in extreme heat know the apparent incongruity of consuming spicy heat to combat energetic heat. It's one of the occult mysteries of life.

Thank the lords of tech for Febreze (or Febreeze in that other, dumber universe).

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:30 PM
Erm, this is a tangential, non-sequitor-esque whimsy... buuuuut...

I've wondered what it would be like to be born in a decrepit, futuristic amusement park, years after the originating civilization has died, leaving the savages to wonder at the sometimes functioning machinery that picks up on certain, accidental thought patterns that are recognized by the ambient tech which brings those thoughts, rarely, to "life."

Such an environment might well look like Earth...

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:31 PM
a reply to: Baddogma

Why do they keep messing with the spelling? I am bad enough as is! GAH! (I prefer Febreze sp. btw)

Not a typical day today (I usually skip lunch so that is weird right there!). I stood up and took a stretch. I was looking at the southern end of the Chugiak range (they are the back drop for Anchorage and run north-south on the far eastern side of town) and saw a strange looking cloud. It looked kind of yellow instead of white and seemed to be billowing. Oh, fire! I was watching a nearby pull out, tourist trap place that people go climb around on and fall to their death all the time (about every other year) called McHugh Creek. It is one of the ways out of town. They are using a pilot car to lead traffic through which is now backed up for two hours! The two communities nearby are Indian (a road leads back to both a hiking trail and private residences which hikers always cut through!) and the real small Rainbow.

Local NBC affiliate, KTUU: Officials: Fire moving 50 feet per hour toward Potter Marsh; priority is Indian & Rainbow

Potter's Marsh is the south end of Anchorage near the mountains. Lots of expensive homes there. The bigger fear is the far east side of town, Hillside, going up in flames. Every dry year there will be a "news" story about fire danger there. I can still see the smoke over the mountains. Also just noticed the lack of a snowpack up there. It usually does not clear out until mid-September. Hardly any there.

They are calling for rain on Thursday. Which is when my curry runs out! (lol)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:05 PM

Also sound like ALICCE (the picking up on thoughts)!

And we still wonder how "did they build that" (Points at razor sharp square blocks weighing an ungodly amount with a perfect circle drilled through a corner) and "what were they doing with those?" (Points at rock spheres of various sizes). So yeah, could be future tech from our pasts. What did the Egyptians say to Plato (or who ever), "You are such like children. You only remember one great disaster (the Flood). We know of 5" (think that is the amount). There is a disconnect to our pasts. I like to think that people were smart back then not just us "moderns". Could be the manifestation of thought has been rediscovered. Could explain some things like a few MEs.

We are getting closer to "thought-computer" interfaces (check out the Aircraft Projects forum for the Pilot Controls Drones With Thoughts thread). Should a quantum computer interface be made, who knows what will happen? That is as wild as time travel! Both?! I do not think current tech gets us to the singularity point or even a good AI. But the next generation of 2D materials will be society changing events. Could the little TEOT reading the Berenstein Bears book all those years ago contemplate a malleable universe where past and future are not written in stone? No, little TEOT would be called a heretic and burned at the stake! (Probably a good spanking to get such "hippy" thoughts of my poor little impressionable young mind). Maybe the chaos we are racing towards is racing back at us but in an opposite time direction? Dark matter people moving to the past in other direction of time flowing. So some of them are just as lazy as I am and they called them: Townshend, Febreeze, and Berenstain. What is a misspelled word between light and dark mater? #DarkMatterLivesMatter

Glad to know that thinking strangely is not just me (thank you internet! I love my confirmation bias and control loops! And now I know what to call them!).

Back to my motto: Manifest Reality Destiny!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:06 AM
Rose, remember the Imaginatrix. Find the blue apples

Chilling right? Whoever did this it creeps me out and fits synchronicitally well to your conversation Baddogma & TEOTWAWKIAIFF. Enjoy

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 03:05 AM

Ah, I see, so Brunch is just breakfast food with alcohol? Okey doke.

Best of luck to those battling the fires and fighting to save people's homes, but if in doubt, get the # out!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:03 AM

More curiosity than amusement

To help the development of imagination in such flights of fancy...

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:37 AM

The non glimmer of hope was meant in the mechanization... like if there was such a reality that Giger was drawing upon that there can even become a complacent normalcy a sort of living dystopia life yet lifeless in mode or expression... dead inside that reflects through ones eyes; I've seen such in people that have robotic rinse repeat jobs where a robot arm could replace them in a moment.

Of course outside of whatever work it's likely they do come alive... the interesting thing is the adaptation of his work to the Aliens in the film series Aliens the only emotion is from the humans and well the aliens are just going about their nature in a robotic insectoid manner in hiving and securing food in which to expand and birth their brood. But when there is no protagonist of emotion it's just business as usual... like with children yelling at a zoo "why don't they do something?" when the animals are not living the childrens imagination and instead are just laying around. The reality of um yeah they tend do that doesn't even click... cause it's supposed to be constant roaring and leaping on an endless supply of wildebeests.

So keeping the the theme park of dystopia in some peoples lives it's kinda already there, riding under the surface or superficial the thing that goes bump in the night that makes realty seem like two sides instead of that chosen bubble, where there's grit and dank, stagnant ponds of water, hid away from the tourists of consumption from the land of suburbia.

Some see people no different than that pile of trash on the side of the road in plastic town, and just think them hollow, and not worth a moment that would rather just pave over anything or anyone with character and depth. This is honestly, what bothers me about a certain candidate the most. The facade is so contrived and manufactured in idealism far removed from reality... the other one at least screams viccodin and hangovers with a coping mechanism thats real and actually normal, and not constant personal affirmations of how great they are hoping everyone believes it as much as they do... it's like how the parents would be fighting screaming and wanting to kill each other on the way to anywhere including church but as soon as public became an audience the masks came out and the contrived personalities were evangelized hoping all callers buy it.

It's like some never got the memo of: you can just be yourself and drop the personality pandering of public persona, it's a trait of sociopaths...

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:01 AM

Fire update.

No smoke seen this morning. Looks like it was nocked down yesterday. They had guys on the ground and a helicopter dropping buckets of water... so yeah, it was kind of serious.

Like Mitch Hedberg sais, "Oh, if there is a fire I will not be standing in front of the emergency exit door!". This was about, I dunno, 15 miles away. But you could totally see it Everything is on fire... it is just not at the right temperature yet! (from my ACF story. Actually said by friend while we were, uh, experimenting with T&C-25).

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:16 AM

Sorry folks the park is closed! The moose out front should have told you.

We watch his programs, we buy his toys, we go to his movies... he owes US! Doesn't he owe us? He owes the Griswalds, right? F#-in A right he owes us!

Hey BD! Isn't the amusement park thing also like the plot to Forbidden Planet? (You know, Robby the Robot? And the hot space chick with the tiger? Knew I could work a tiger in there somehow)

new topics

<< 198  199  200    202  203  204 >>