It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baddogma's Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 172
<< 169  170  171    173  174  175 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Ah.. .yes, you are referring to being spirited away by the Fey! I made that connection years ago, with the spirit molecule kerfuffle and my own experiences with Leary's naughty substance and folk lore (and when I read Passport to Magonia) but failed to connect it in my post... typical.

Getting sloppy in my dotage.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Yes, sorry I meant to come back to that to explain it better. What I was thinking, was that there are a number of patterns emerging, and they've been noticed by others before. So acid could lead you to think that many hours had passed when it had only been 10 minutes, but how likely is it that all the recorded victims of fairy capture had taken it?
It's not that likely.
Or, opium could have the same effect and it is more possible that they had been taking laudunum for example, but then that doesn't explain the alien meetings and lost time. So these 'strange' events seem to fit a theme - lost time, them wanting to take something of yours, even something worthless like a biro, etc .

So, is it possible that the problem is within us? Do you remember Serdgiam saying that he met a fairy and she tapped him on the forehead? And he wondered if his eyes saw a fairy because that's the best sense his brain could make out of the experience. It may be that our brains are so limited, and that we filter everything into compartments; in fact we know already that that's how we do learn and how we are able to transfer skills from one situation effortlessly into another one.
So in other words when something 'odd' happens, we filter it the only way we can, matching it up as closely as possible to a similar experience - the only thing we can compare it to and make sense of. For some it may seem similar to dreaming, for others an experience on drugs etc. Does that make sense to you?

edit on 17-5-2016 by beansidhe because: can't spell

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Yup.. .perfect sense. Could be the folks are experiencing something so alien that they (we) simply cannot process it and our brains fill in the (very interesting) blank.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   

It does make sense, but it's so #ing unsatisfactory and we might as well say, oh well, we'll never know so why bother?
Or, hmmm, fairies I suspect.

So what do you do with that? Where should the phenomena be studied? Neuropsychology or on the ground?
Why am I asking you so many questions?
Why can't I stop?

Help.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I love what you were just saying.
About our brains (understanding) being limited..

It's why I use so many different words.

I could tell you for sure I saw a black triangle ufo but was it there first of all and if it was there was it physical? And if it was physical was it how I saw it or was my brain making that up as the closest relative already stored in my brain I could "re-cognize" to have the closest likely understanding in broad stereotypical terms..

I'm loose on language not to obscure but to keep what we are looking for in the sights.

My mom calls the "fairy" effect.. "The little girl" she finds it playful. But she does separate that concept from the "evil" stuff like her "demon" encounters.. Her "little girl" or "fairy" is like "the borrowers"

I keep as many different concepts or viewpoints going at all times as I can.
One day it might click.

I have a very deep rooted fear.. Very deep, feels like multiple thousands of years old deep buried subconscious fear of being tricked and sucked into "fairy land" to continue this theme.. Never to be seen again.

Actually I view scientific terms like atom particle, subatomic particle to be just as mythological as fairy/elf/gnome...
The effects are there but the name is an invention of mankind. And who knows if the grouping is correct. A + B = C is the same as C - A = B and even though the answer is the same the explanation for the answer could be different.

All descriptions of reality.
And I don't know anyone who has it figured out.

If I talk to Zeus and he gives me that chronos is losing power.. It's not so different from a scientist saying time doesn't have a constant speed in relation to consciousness or in relation to nuclear half lives.. How would you even tell if it was constant?

Could you test times constantness? And if so how?

Oh and the quote that says your last post...

"It's turtles all the way down"
If you don't know the quote well you can easily find out what it means.

I'm not stuck on a final answer.
I'm practicing and watching if anything works.
I'll never know how it works, so I more readily use words like vampire than I do " the electron shifted energy states to a lower energy shell releasing a photon which can then excite other electrons to higher energy states... Blah de blah blah and those guys still can't get at it..
I'm closer using loose mythology..

I'll leave this post here:

In dim light I can change colors of objects I look at.. My bias picks one but I can override it by changing my bias..
I think it speaks volumes.

Aldous Huxley
"Doors of Perception"

"The brain is a reducing valve (to common denominators)"
Many "trippy" chemicals actually shut off parts of the brain..
I think there is a clue in there somewhere.
Problem is we evolved to "look past that" as we look past the cells floating over our pupils..
"Too much information"
Focus on the lion in the grass over there, not the "fairies"

Focus!!

Disassociation is interesting in breaking bias.

"Everything that's out of focus is a dream."
-Narallis
(a local band lyric)

Culture IS our operating system.
That's why I dual boot.

edit on 17-5-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I like that Huxley quote, although he barely scratched the surface. That's not a criticism of Huxley, just that there aren't many professors who happily encourage their researchers to write their theses on mind altering drugs these days.

However, in a synchro-tastic way, I read this earlier today:

A hallucinogenic chemical in magic mushrooms shows promise for people with untreatable depression, a short study on just 12 people hints.
Eight patients were no longer depressed after the "mystical and spiritual" experience induced by the drug. The findings, in the Lancet Psychiatry, showed five of the patients were still depression-free after three months.

BBC

Which single handedly detroys my argument about reticent professors, but also could lead to some very interesting research ( for which I'll be volunteering
).

Agreed about our perception, I think that that is probably somewhere near the truth but there is no single, unifying answer it would seem.

What you were saying about being 'sucked' into fairyland made me remember the stories that say you'll be fine as long as you don't eat anything. That's a bit odd, no? It could be that it's a memory of not eating strange food that you get from men in the woods, where mushrooms abound of course, or it could have at its roots something more neurological. When we eat, we 'switch on' the parasympathetic nervous system, which is the one that helps us relax, digest etc. The sympathetic nervous system, the PNS's counter-balance, is the 'fight or flight' one. Is there something about the state that we are in that matters to 'fairies?'

Culture IS our operating system. That's why I dual boot.

Dual booting should never be dismissed lightly, very wise.

We operate within rings of systems; cultural, yes definitely, but before that we operate as biological animals, with whatever sensory limitations that brings. We're trapped in our world, in a way.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Hansel and grettle (sp?) couldn't eat either, and nor could Snow White..
Nor could Adam and Eve..

To varying degrees of course.

There is something to that, and I can't put my finger on it except as eating is a very base need..

"Don't give in to temptation"

And where I think we may create reality.. Eating of the "others" fruit is going into "their" world..
God is a jealous God... As far as we are speaking of "Christian fears"

"Psyche-delics" break patterns.. Perfect for repairing psyche through and passed PTSD. Well, in the right set and setting. Everything has its place.
And I get to make my place up.

And yes "fairies" "demons" "angels" "gods" "ghosts"
All rely on our energy.
You can stop Breast feeding them at any time.
Does it mean we created them?
I think that's way too simple.

edit on 17-5-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Yes me too, it is too simple and we don't live in a simple universe. I hadn't thought about the Adam and Eve story as having a similar theme, thanks for that. There's something in this 'eating' theme, I want to go and read more folk stories now.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hey again - finally got a job again (well a month now) gardening
so outside all the time enjoying nature and most clients live in The New Forest so nice and rural.

Anyhow in regards to eating, perhaps by ingesting 'matter' from that 'dimension/land' you somehow 'anchor' yourself there, as part of your body will be part of wherever you are, also the more you consume the more your body would potentially 'anchor' there.

(I think it's only a year or so to completely rebuild your body here naturally, skin being days/weeks and i think bones take the longest - if you want to know for sure just check any medical journal and they will detail how our body is constantly renewing itself and the time frames involved)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Congrats on the job, and I love gardening, though I know when its a job it's quite a bit more work !

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have read two nice articles today, which are a bit connected with last posts...in a way.

the way we can pierce through reality is in my opinion a bit connected with energy levels, and this article goes a bit how we can better manage them. And when we sort out this stuff, than probably better understanding naturally arises.
www.tantrikstudies.org...

and also interesting article about "samskaras", or subliminal impressions and how to deal with them. It was linked at the end of the first article...
www.tantrikstudies.org...

in my opinion there is a lot of weight for such theories, as they put it in the last title...and if we apply it to how we are living today in modern society, it is obvious to me, why there is so many confusion, doubts and fear...we are a leaking mess most of the time in our lives if we don't take care of it somehow.

Current modern society as it is, is not a friend in my opinion as far as these things go, unfortunately.

that is very nice to hear, best of luck with your new job
and may flowers and plants you plant, grow into magnificent beauties : )

your job sounds so much fun I like gardening,
it is very relaxing...for me at least...
edit on 1463517790543May435433116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The eating thing is ... well, likely important in more than a bio-chemical sense, heh... perhaps it speaks to our body hardware, "tuning" us to a certain reality/dreamworld!

I've been diving into the Mandela Effect now that I am sure it has some rare validity ... and might be related to this whole discussion...

and there is a huge caveat there as most all of it is simply our faulty hardware/software... but a couple clicked and convinced me there might well be something to it... I cannot ignore the dilemna spelling 'thang' and a few others...

more clues to the multiverse, which I used to think was a "trippy" thought experiment by Hugh Everett that just happened to be mathematically sound, and then reconsidered after reading the Fortean data out there and finally now think a significant population might have drifted through the 'verses, heh...

luckily I'm used to weird, but there is a point where enough is enough

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I second the 'congratz' on maneuvering through our common economic slavery with something you can actually enjoy!

And it is curious how being paid for a hobby can mutate it into something ...er, dirty!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

we are a leaking mess most of the time in our lives if we don't take care of it somehow.

How true that is... and curious how we start and end in this world "leaking" ... metaphorically and concretely.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
And you, sir, are making more sense as well as dropping some heavy doses of truth on our tongues!

Pray for me ...heh

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The eating thing is ... well, likely important in more than a bio-chemical sense, heh... perhaps it speaks to our body hardware, "tuning" us to a certain reality/dreamworld!

well that is my experience at least.

and also in many spiritual traditions fasting is the fastest way to purity and desires for good tastes are burned...when that happens stuff that we know as lucid dreams and obes are very easy to achieve and also meditation will be a lot easier and deeper...so yeah a lot to do with tuning, imho!

Eating is one of most primal desires, maybe even stronger than sexual.
... and each food is carrying its own signature in some way...

We are what we eat...
and when we decided to fast and burn this desire we can discover new things and reach new heights.

Also meat and animal products is causing us to act more animalistic (weak against desires), while more green food will make you more at peace and relaxed, stress free...
For me this is very apparent, but I have one meal a day other than fruit in general and for me what I eat does have noticeable effect on my mood and strength of desires...among other things.
edit on 1463521221540May405403116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Take it from a spelling arse, it was always 'dilemma'. Column, solemn, condemn - never dilemna, in my realm at least. When you start staring at words, you can convince yourself they're spelt wrongly, I think.

Rest easy, O Fragrant one, you're not losing the plot just yet.

But yes, there is something about eating. I can't help thinking that the Adam and Eve story is somehow tied up in the notion of gluttony/temptation. I haven't found an explanation from any fairy stories yet, but I'm looking.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Hey, I'll third you on the congratulations, that's great news.

Anyhow in regards to eating, perhaps by ingesting 'matter' from that 'dimension/land' you somehow 'anchor' yourself there, as part of your body will be part of wherever you are, also the more you consume the more your body would potentially 'anchor' there.

Uuurgh, yuck, you are what you eat? That's a creepy thought, but why not? It makes sense.

Edit - Unifinity, exactly! You said that way better.

edit on 17-5-2016 by beansidhe because: eta

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

But yes, there is something about eating. I can't help thinking that the Adam and Eve story is somehow tied up in the notion of gluttony/temptation.

This is an excellent observation in my opinion.
I have read in some spiritual scripture about non duality - explaining adam and eve story, that it is precisely about that from non dual perspective at least.

When they took the fruit, they succumbed to the desire and left behind the spirit, which is always desireless at least in egoistic sense.

They have "fallen" into duality right at that moment.
And snake represents in this case our selfish ego, the trickster,
which is tempting us to do something stupid : )
edit on 1463522768506May065063116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

Which is kind of similar to fairy stories too. If you eat with them, you give up your place in the human, earthy and earthly realm; you give up your soul, in a sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 169  170  171    173  174  175 >>

join