It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Baddogma's Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 142
<< 139  140  141    143  144  145 >>

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:41 PM

originally posted by: johnb

Time is a funny one and does seem to be very subjective - bad day slow - good day fast - fully occupied time seems to just disappear - who hasn't been reading/playing a game/ deeply discussing with friends or whatever and suddenly realised that hours have passed but it only seems like a few minutes.

This is true but,
A friend and I have discussed the fact that time 'seems' to go by much faster these days even objectively, i.e. Whether you're "having fun or not" (or "fully occupied" or not)...

I mean, For over 25 years now (yikes over half my life!) I have suffered chronic health conditions that necessitate my being utterly 'unoccupied' for hours/days at a time, and though it used to be true that time seemed subjectively slower during these flare-ups, for the past 5 or so years, it seems that time speeds by no matter whether I am very busy or doing nothing at all..

As well, my friend (about the same age as me) and I, being aware that time is known to seem subjectively 'faster' as one ages, have, in the last couple years started casually asking young people (right down to elementary school age) whether time seems to go fast or slow to them -
- and we invariably get the answer that time goes by 'so fast'...

Of course, there is likely nothing 'woo' about it, but it seems a bit unusual to get that answer 'across the board' so to speak..

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 02:04 PM
a reply to: lostgirl

Yes I think there are a few thread on here about how time seems to be speeding up but I remember as a child that the summer holidays (6-7 weeks) seemed to last forever.

Started "The Hermetica" now

Book XVI of the Corpus Hermeticum - Hermes writes:

"My teachings will seem obscure in times to come, when they are translated from our Egyptian mother tongue into that of the Greeks. (happened a few centuries later)
Translation will distort much of their meaning, expresed in our native language, the teachings are clear and simple, for the very sound of the Egyptian word resonates with the thing signified by it.
All possible measures should be taken to prevent these holy secrets being corrupted by translation into Greek, which is an arrogant, feeble, showy language, unable to contain the cogent force of my words. The Greek language lacks the power to convince, and Greek philosophy is nothing but noisy chatter. Our Egyptian speech is more than talk.
Its utterances are replete with power"

How much further then has knowledge been corrupted by translation from Greek to Latin and then finally to our modern languages?

So our struggles with finding the right words to explain our thoughts have presumably been happening for 1000's of years now.

Not sure I'm up to learning ancient Egyptian though, especially regarding pronunciation unless I could find a teacher somewhere in the One that would be willing to teach me.

Kantz - do you know if the Egyptians got the Hermetica (Thoth) from Sumer and if so I wonder whether they said the same about future translations from their language to any future diluted languages to come?
Perhaps you could log my question at the admin centre and see if they deign to reply.

it does seem to be a common theme that the older the language the more power it seems to have over the physical - perhaps its a resonance/vibrational thing - tuning forks anybody?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:20 PM
a reply to: johnb

How much further then has knowledge been corrupted by translation from Greek to Latin and then finally to our modern languages?

Sorry for butting in.

No, knowledge is not corrupted by translation. Tx has almost nothing to do with it, it's the story. People know what they want in a story, and they know what the important bits are, despite translation.

Otherwise they wouldn't survive at all (the stories).

It's not about an economy based on any scarcity or surfeit of knowledge transfer, it's about taste

edit on 26-3-2016 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:33 PM
a reply to: Bybyots

No probs but my point was more that we have had pages of discussion on how we all use different words to mean the same things and how some words have more 'weight/emotional value' than others.

Just look at each time somebody joins this thread - we go around the whole soul/spirit/tulpa/gods/imps to try and understand what the new contributor is meaning by his/her use of all these terms.

Generally we get to a rough consensus or as i have there used 2 or 3 words and " " to show a rough meaning and i suspect we all interpret them slightly differently.

Perhaps the first languages were a lot more precise as they had not been diluted and had their meanings changed over the millennia. Look at the english language - 50 years ago 'gay' meant happy and carefree but is now used almost exclusively to describe homosexuals so over 1000's of years a lot more must have changed.

Tower of Babel springs to mind - a universal powerful language with no ambiguity that was destroyed and replaced with a multitude of others to keep man 'in the dark' so to speak. (Does anybody know how common this idea is in prehistory or is only the bible that mentions it?)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:36 PM

All great points. Maybe it's the medium, then. Lots of food for thought.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:47 PM
a reply to: beansidhe

My... at first I thought it was ATS's birthday and not the day I finally stopped lurking and committed a toe to the water of this wonderfully murky pond... thank you for noticing as, alas, I did not.

Time and I have an estranged relationship... that is finally on the bittersweet rebound as my body succumbs to entropy. Birthdays are commemorated by the young, mostly, as after one crosses the peak of the short curve of human life, the b-days get more and more ... well you know, the Final Countdown has already been mentioned in this very thread, heh.

But on that dark/light note...

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:04 PM

The pretty thing is the babylonian confusion is almost over, there is almost no one anymore who doesn't speak at least a little bit of English.
Thanks to the internet.
And why not super easy to learn, closely related to all romanic languages, if I don't know the English word I just think about how i'd say it in French et voila...

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:09 PM
a reply to: Peeple

Das is gut ya
(apologies for spelling)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:12 PM

No need to apologise almost perfect except: ja.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:14 PM
a reply to: lostgirl

I have noticed and repeatedly commented upon the speeding up of subjective time as one ages again and my brain loses elasticity and volume, heh, and I forget what the heck I already brought up (added as I forgot my joke end in mid sentence)... but it IS curious and my only guess is that as the chemical processes slow down, the experience of time does, too, and not that time itself is speeding up.

And yeah, summers when a child seemed eternal, now five years will blow by seemingly in a mere month from my perspective... "relatively" weird, but I (at least) don't think I'm traveling any faster than I used to... and certainly not at near luminal speeds!

Sorry, stuck in the melancholia of nostalgia... which is a silly, Latin-y place to be.

edit on 3/26/2016 by Baddogma because: complex mix of joking about losing memory in old age and actually losing it

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 04:23 PM

originally posted by: Bybyots
Yeah, well, how much you wanna bet you still discover a payload of mysticism despite your interest in engineering?

The two are barely removed from each other.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:15 PM
a reply to: Baddogma

Are you breathing? Then you're still young.

We could all be deid tomorrow; celebrate every milestone because who knows what's round the corner? (And other cheery anniversary greetings).

Anaana's off on holiday, Zazz is ghost hunting, Bybyots is away to the is good.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM

Kantz - do you know if the Egyptians got the Hermetica (Thoth) from Sumer and if so I wonder whether they said the same about future translations from their language to any future diluted languages to come?

What can be said is that Thoth as Moon God had similar associations to Nanna of Sumer, that is they were related to the measure of time and space, to get a sense of what that was about see here

To understand Hermetica the origins of his cult need to be considered, and the concern there was with path finding, Herm stones within the landscape as guides, from path finding you get networking, inter-connectivity, communication, trade, eventually the internet, so Hermetica was the exchange of information within a particular hub.

There is no direct Sumerian or Egyptian equivalent, the scribal tradition in Sumer was represented by Nisaba, she was the Goddess of measure, mathematics and writing and communicated these within her scribal cult, there's no direct connection of this to the numerology of the Moon God, but if you wanted to figure all that out she was the go to person, her astral association was the constellation Virgo, her Egyptian equivalent Seshat.

The Semitic cult of Nebo as Mercury was closer to the Greek and Roman understandings, that would be the basis for the numerology and symbolism of the Hebrew Apocalyptic tradition, the esoteric transmission of ideas from within a scribal tradition to both an initiated readership and one that was simply intrigued, the Hermetic tradition along similar lines.

It's not a question of literal translation issues but the problems in their trying to understand former religious institutions from a partial and garbled perspective when those traditions never had any interest in explaining themselves, when the claim to have recovered or access to ancient knowledge becomes all important because the actual fact of the matter was that they had all become clueless.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:04 AM

originally posted by: lostgirl

originally posted by: jacygirl
I have lived in such a state of high stress for so long, that my stomach does not feel healthy at all.
Black sludge comes to mind.

Keeping your 'gut' physically healthy is important as a means to keep your brain/mind healthy as well -

Stress = impaired gut health = impaired mind health = more difficulty handling stress = impact on gut health, and so on in an endless loop...

Eat lots of fermented foods - yogurt, sauerkraut, etc (supplement with a good brand of probiotic), eliminate as much sugar & white flour as possible from your diet, get lots of fiber...

Thank you, lostgirl...I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Unfortunately I do know this, but the problem is financial. No money, no groceries equals drinking a lot of tea with sugar, and white bread toast. ATS for topics like 'gut health', 'probiotics', 'supplements for intestinal health' - I know there have been threads where people have given really good advice on this sort of thing...

I do take probiotics when I can afford them.

As far as "black sludge", I have it on good authority - Kev's as a matter of fact
that 'sessions' of deep belly breathing are helpful, and I can attest from my experience in taking his advice that it does help..

Thank you, yes...actually Kev himself told me to do that.

I was feeling pretty stressed last night, so I did a 'session' and it really did have a nice calming effect.

Again, sorry I missed your reply to me! This thread moves pretty quickly and apparently I missed an entire page.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:29 AM
a reply to: jacygirl

...everyone has good thought provoking points to make. We don't have to all agree and it would be boring if we did.

Agreed. And there are things or issues in existence that need to be corrected for the sake of keeping certain traditions or concepts, like shamanism , advaita-vedanta and buddhism for example, from being highjacked and distorted by those who have a particular (probably unconscious) agenda to do just that.

I belong to a particular order of sages/saints who teach a variety of teachings for the sake of giving people tools for self-knowledge, so they can explore, inquire and investigate further and more deeply as self-realized beings.

And as a confirmed member of such order, a non-hierarchical order, I could and would inniciate into the kind of shamanism I'm practizing myself. It's for everybody who is interested and it's free of charge. It's a fun thing to learn and it makes life more interesting and meaningfull, IMHO. Shamanism, the way I practize it, delivers. Which means it makes everybody who is interested in it also a shaman by telling them exactely how it works and what everybody can do to enjoy it themselfs.

THAT is what I deal in.

Now I'm outta here again. I just wanted to add that to clarify my point.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:07 AM
a reply to: Baddogma

Happy ATS Birthday, it's been wonderful having you here in the asylum.

This is apt

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:07 PM
a reply to: zazzafrazz

How were the ghosties? (I'm so impatient....

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:19 PM
a reply to: jacygirl

Belly breathing and/or owl yelling are both very good for stress.
And the Dead Kennedys usually help a bit too.

I'm pretty skint too, it's crap. How's your weather? Being stuck indoors never helps anyone feel good.

B x

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:48 PM
a reply to: beansidhe

We got nothing.

But am going back next visit to the state as the place is literally amazing

I've travelled the world, and my favorite way of doing a city tour is doing a ghost tour, you gets lots of history and hysteria.
Few favorites with great activity are:
Virginia City NV
Edinburgh Vaults
an accidental visit to an old Ottoman Hotel in Turkey
Manor House Dingle Ireland
Bologna Old Town and Venice Italy
Quarantine Station Sydney Australia
Salem Mass
Old Chang Mai hospital Singapore
A old prison in Vietnam I can't remember the name of to save myself
And just about every Pub in London

The TransAllegheny Lunatic asylum is defn haunted, but the ghosts were on easter break I think

edit on 28-3-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 05:20 PM
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Well ghosts need a holiday too, I guess.
It's a beautiful building though, worth a visit for that alone. Definitely go back (and keep us posted!)

How is possible to accidentally visit an Ottoman hotel in Turkey?
Were you planning to go to Turkey, or was it one of those trips to Europe that goes horribly wrong? You aim for Romania, someone has a "good idea" and before you know it you're in a haunted hotel in Istanbul.

Aaah, the days of £20 Easyjet flights, how I miss you.....

new topics

top topics

<< 139  140  141    143  144  145 >>