It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Auctioning Gitmo Detainees For Weapons Deals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
First off, YES this the highly partisan and unreliable site Media Matters spinning Oliver North's comments on Fox New's Greta show...and YES, Ollie North is certainly no stranger to secret government arms deals with foreign countries (some might call him an expert on the subject)...

HOWEVER...He DID actually suggest this conspiracy on national television; drawing it from a highly suspicious "quid pro quo" 'coincidence' between Obama/Kerry's recent $51M arms deal with Oman...and (1 week later) Oman's agreement to 'take' Gitmo detainees.

Certainly, after Fast and Furious and Benghazi, nothing untoward can be immediately dismissed where this administration is concerned.

We all love our conspiracy theories here at ATS...so let's kick this one around.

Fox News' Oliver North suggested that the Obama administration's State Department is holding "secret auction[s] to the high bidder" for countries willing to take Guantanamo Bay detainees.

On the January 21 edition of On The Record with Greta Van Susteren, Oliver North speculated that the Obama administration and Secretary of State John Kerry engaged in a "quid pro quo" scheme with the country of Oman, who he claimed agreed to take Guantanamo Bay detainees in exchange for weapons:

OLIVER NORTH: Unfortunately, this president in his campaign promise way back in 2008, he made the campaign promise that he was going to close Gitmo within a year of taking office. Well, that didn't happen for very good reasons. Even his own investigation sent down there to go to Camp Delta there were no people there that were harmless goat herders, these were terrorists. These were bad people who tried to kill Americans and in some cases succeeded.

Think about this. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the 9/11/01 attack on the United States, and with four airliners fly into buildings and killed nearly 3,000 people. He is one of the last to go. Where will he go? Think about what just happened with Oman. Ten detainees here are released to Oman and a week later Oman gets --

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN (HOST): A weapons deal.

NORTH: Yes, a $51 million weapons deal that they've been asking for, for years.

VAN SUSTEREN: It's incredible. Said it's a coincidence. Obama administration says it's a coincidence. We're not that stupid.

NORTH: Think about this. Is the Kerry State Department holding a secret auction to the high bidder, secret sealed bids on who will take Khalid Sheikh Mohammed? Think about it. I mean, if you look at what's happening with this administration, there is no concern for the safety of American troops or American citizens. This administration ought to be held accountable.

[...]

NORTH:
I'll give you a prediction. Within six months of the new administration in Washington there will be an investigation that finds quid pro quo and things were provided to these governments for taking these incredibly bad people.

mediamatters.org...

edit on 23-1-2016 by IAMTAT because: spacing

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Someone will be along shortly to say, "so what, so-and-so did it ten years ago, or twenty years ago, or forty years ago".
That is why we never legally resolve political corruptness.

I agree that Obama and his administration don't give two hoots about our safety. Obama is obsessed with his legacy now and the next few months of his administration are probably going to be chock full of quid pro quo deals.
edit on 23-1-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
How would Oliver North know this? He is retired from military service.

His wiki describes him as

an American political commentator and television host, military historian, New York Times best-selling author, former drug trafficker
I would guess he is out of the loop at this point.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Someone will be along shortly to say, "so what, so-and-so did it ten years ago, or twenty years ago, or forty years ago".
That is why we never legally resolve political corruptness.

I agree that Obama and his administration don't give two hoots about our safety. Obama is obsessed with his legacy now and the next few months of his administration are probably going to be chock full of quid pro quo deals.

Some people seem to THINK Obama is obsessed with his 'legacy', there is nothing to prove that. Nor is there anything to prove that Obama or his administration 'don't give two hoots about our safety'.

You are, in fact, safe? Correct?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I bet North is being paid to say it. 'political commentator"

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It sucks that the motivation behind this was politicians and military brass were pocketing a lot of the money. The fact that they were sold to another country to deal with is actually fine by me. As long as there are understood concequences for letting these terrorists see the light of day. If they did THEN we can deliver weapons to them at rocket speed.

The only other option is to take them to US soil eventually.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I think Oliver is working for somebody at Langley or elsewhere for a decent wage too.....
You don't get that high up in dirty government laundry and get out alive....
If Ollies still out there......hes still playing the intelligence game with somebody....

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

First off, YES this the highly partisan and unreliable site Media Matters

And we have the highly partisan and unreliable Oliver North (Involved in the Iran Contra mess under Reagan) on the unreliable Fox news making a claim with no evidence what so ever.

As for Gitmo, I want it closed. It's a stain on the country and the constitution. The sooner it's closed down the better. But you know who keeps on preventing it's closure? The Republicans and certain local state officials. Not sure about Democrats, but Republicans have been right there, right front and center, preventing it's closure.

edit on 23-1-2016 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Some people seem to THINK Obama is obsessed with his 'legacy'

Yes some do think that.

Obama knows he is obsessed with his 'legacy'.

His ego is his strongest point, regardless of all the massive failures and blue ribbons for sloppy-schlock behavior.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

And we have the highly partisan and unreliable Oliver North (Involved in the Iran Contra mess under Reagan) on the unreliable Fox news making a claim with no evidence what so ever.

No wonder North never gets an interview on ABC, CBS, or NBC !!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No wonder North never gets an interview

Exactly. He lost all credibility after the Iran Contra affair. Arming the Iranian regime? Not cool. Given you're not a fan of the Iranian Regime yourself Xue, I'd figure you wouldn't give the man much credibility as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Ironic indeed.

Reagan helps Iran and gets criticized.

Obama helps Iran and gets Blue Ribbons.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Everybody forgets that North was just the long fall guy in a long line of a trail of deceive, conspiracies and corruption, he took the blame was acquitted from all wrong doings.

What that tells you, now just because he is retired doesn't mean that he doesn't have ties with the military and with members of the government. He still gets inside information.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
First off, YES this the highly partisan and unreliable site Media Matters spinning Oliver North's comments on Fox New's Greta show...and YES, Ollie North is certainly no stranger to secret government arms deals with foreign countries (some might call him an expert on the subject)...

HOWEVER...He DID actually suggest this conspiracy on national television; drawing it from a highly suspicious "quid pro quo" 'coincidence' between Obama/Kerry's recent $51M arms deal with Oman...and (1 week later) Oman's agreement to 'take' Gitmo detainees.

Certainly, after Fast and Furious and Benghazi, nothing untoward can be immediately dismissed where this administration is concerned.

We all love our conspiracy theories here at ATS...so let's kick this one around.

Fox News' Oliver North suggested that the Obama administration's State Department is holding "secret auction[s] to the high bidder" for countries willing to take Guantanamo Bay detainees.

On the January 21 edition of On The Record with Greta Van Susteren, Oliver North speculated that the Obama administration and Secretary of State John Kerry engaged in a "quid pro quo" scheme with the country of Oman, who he claimed agreed to take Guantanamo Bay detainees in exchange for weapons:

OLIVER NORTH: Unfortunately, this president in his campaign promise way back in 2008, he made the campaign promise that he was going to close Gitmo within a year of taking office. Well, that didn't happen for very good reasons. Even his own investigation sent down there to go to Camp Delta there were no people there that were harmless goat herders, these were terrorists. These were bad people who tried to kill Americans and in some cases succeeded.

Think about this. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the 9/11/01 attack on the United States, and with four airliners fly into buildings and killed nearly 3,000 people. He is one of the last to go. Where will he go? Think about what just happened with Oman. Ten detainees here are released to Oman and a week later Oman gets --

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN (HOST): A weapons deal.

NORTH: Yes, a $51 million weapons deal that they've been asking for, for years.

VAN SUSTEREN: It's incredible. Said it's a coincidence. Obama administration says it's a coincidence. We're not that stupid.

NORTH: Think about this. Is the Kerry State Department holding a secret auction to the high bidder, secret sealed bids on who will take Khalid Sheikh Mohammed? Think about it. I mean, if you look at what's happening with this administration, there is no concern for the safety of American troops or American citizens. This administration ought to be held accountable.

[...]

NORTH:
I'll give you a prediction. Within six months of the new administration in Washington there will be an investigation that finds quid pro quo and things were provided to these governments for taking these incredibly bad people.

mediamatters.org...

When I read the headline I asked myself why not just let them go. that caused to think they cant do that because they know too much about their treatment so they have to go some country where they might just disappear over time which made me think that perhaps that is what the 50 m is for.

Given there is any truth in this suspicion then I spose they have to go some 2nd or 3rd world country.

The mind boggles at the reason for the 50m, what does the US want in return??

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

The suggestion is that Oman wanted to buy these weapons from the U.S. for a long time...but were turned down...probably for security reasons.

The U.S. suddenly changed it's mind to sell them to Oman for $51M (probably a bargain price)...and a week later Oman agreed to take these terrorists off our hands, so Obama can continue to empty out and close Gitmo.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Azureblue

The suggestion is that Oman wanted to buy these weapons from the U.S. for a long time...but were turned down...probably for security reasons.

The U.S. suddenly changed it's mind to sell them to Oman for $51M (probably a bargain price)...and a week later Oman agreed to take these terrorists off our hands, so Obama can continue to empty out and close Gitmo.

He probably wants it to be his end of term achievement

top topics

join