It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Samaritan Shot to Death Helping Stranded Driver in North Carolina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

A good Samaritan was shot and killed after trying to assist an allegedly intoxicated motorist stranded on an icy highway in North Carolina on Friday.

A group of three people pulled over to help when they spotted a stuck car that slid off the road in Catawba around 5:30 p.m. local time, according to Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid.

The group soon discovered that the stranded driver — identified by police as Marvin Lee — was allegedly under the influence of drugs or alcohol and was being uncooperative so they decided to let police handle the situation, Reid said.

When Lee overheard the group talking about calling police for assistance he got out of the car and started shooting at them, according to Reid.

Good Samaritan Shot to Death Helping Stranded Driver in North Carolina

Maybe the lesson here is if you see someone in trouble along the side of the road - accident victim, in the ditch, hit and run victim, or what have you - DO NOT assist them. Ignore them and keep going. You never know when one of these victims is going to just go off and start gunning rescuers or a good Samaritan down. 'Murica.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Lesson to be learned never call the police, call fire rescue, look up the history of Fire Departments you will know why you should only call fire rescue.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

A good Samaritan was shot and killed after trying to assist an allegedly intoxicated motorist stranded on an icy Maybe the lesson here is if you see someone in trouble along the side of the road - accident victim, in the ditch, hit and run victim, or what have you - DO NOT assist them. Ignore them and keep going. You never know when one of these victims is going to just go off and start gunning rescuers or a good Samaritan down. 'Murica.

It's a tragic situation altogether. Most people want to help, this shooter should go away for good.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Unfortunately it's not safe to help people
any more except phoning assistance. I remember
breaking down one morning on my way to college
& a person slowed down behind him & offered to
give me lift. This was in the early 80's & I was hesitant
but took the ride. I had me drumstick bag with me &
there was a screw driver in there with the tools just
in case something happened.
The guy took me right up to the steps in front of the music building.
I would NOT do that today unless it was a matter of life or death.

It's a shame what the world's become...we should be able to trust strangers.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

When I was a boy growing up in the late sixties / early seventies in Alaska...... I grew up with the thought that if you saw someone stuck...even stopped...off to the side of the road, you'd pull over and see if they needed anything.

The reason being, you might have been the last person they'd ever have seen. Back then, the population was so sparse...you could drive for hours...cover hundreds of miles..and *NEVER* see another car let alone another person.

So, it's hard for me to operate under my current locale of the lower 48 and the difference in life as it is today.

ALL of that being said..snowstorm? Car obviously looking crashed off to the side of the road? Yes, I'd have pulled over.

At a minimum, called emergency services and stayed until they arrived.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Like you, I would have pulled over to offer help as well. My concern would be an elderly driver had slid off and needed immediate help, and time would be a factor.

It's a shame this group of samaritans came across some POS with a gun. It won't be long before these psychos have trained all Americans to treat stranded drivers like a death threat. See someone in trouble just ignore it. Not worth getting shot over.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: raypsi13

Lesson to be learned never call the police, call fire rescue, look up the history of Fire Departments you will know why you should only call fire rescue.

What is the logic there?

Oh look I'm dealing with a cowardly, waste of resources criminal.. Lemme call the Fire department..

How about this..a drunk or high idiot killed someone and no one else is responsible .
edit on 23-1-2016 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Perhaps its just me but I've always thought there to be an element of danger when dealing with other motorists, be it now or a few decades ago.

Its just a risk one must decide for themselves to take or not take when you come across an accident or someone flagging you down on the road. Of course it doesn't hurt to at least call for help from the safety of your own vehicle. Right?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Well, it'll end up being quoted as one of the reasons for gun confiscation...

Obama will be happy....

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ektar

Unfortunately it's not safe to help people
any more except phoning assistance.

Well I live in NC and i can say this was an anomaly. I find just the opposite kind of people around here. I would stop and help if i could. This is just one of those things that happens... wrong place, wrong time. Obviously this is a bad guy. They exist all over. If you run into one of these goblins bad things happen. These guys were dumb for saying they were going to call the cops within earshot... Right out in front of my house we had a single car wreck (we live in the country) went running down the road and checked on the guy, Hispanic, didn't speak much English, obviously drunk. We stayed there until local volunteers arrived. I called 911 as i was walking there. Everyone who passed by called 911 i'm sure because i saw them on the phone as i was waving them past.

If i had to guess ill bet these guys were roaming around looking for just this kind of situation, out to help, out to do something because they were bored, had a pickup and thought they would go out in the storm. Good ole boys we call them. They didn't think it through very well did they.

V

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Maybe the lesson here is if you see someone in trouble along the side of the road - accident victim, in the ditch, hit and run victim, or what have you - DO NOT assist them. Ignore them and keep going.

That's probably the saddest and most inhuman thing I've read in a very long time.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I will not stop until I have a clear assessment of the situation and surrounding premises. Sadly..... So many bad things happen to good human beings.... Even when I realize the threat level is null, I will still be extremely careful (just a note) I will always call or text someone to advise of my actions.

I just have little trust in the human race anymore

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This event was an aberration, certainly not the usual response one gets 99% of the time for stopping to help a stranded motorist. I can't count the number of times stopping with my parents or by myself and have been very grateful for the few times I was stranded and a stranger stopped to help me out.

If we let fear overcome our sense of responsibility to one another we will start the slide downhill in to social anarchy.

I had a driving job when I was in my 20's and had 2 young kids at home. On a day when it was 0 degrees and windy outside I stopped to pick up a hitchhiker. Turns out he was homeless and headed to a city where he hoped to find work. Being 2 days before Christmas we took him in and he stayed with us over the holiday. He found a job and stayed another 2 weeks until he got an apartment. We remained friends for many years until he moved out West but every Christmas he would come by and bring presents for our kids - our once homeless Santa Claus. All I asked of him (and anyone else I've helped) was to pay it forward. We can only hope that our good deeds live on through others and continue to bring blessings to those in need.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Actually the lesson is always be ready no matter what the situation is.

After he fired his shot I would of been behind cover ready to do the same unless he put one in my head already.

The risk has never and will never stop me from assisting others when I see a car crash or whatever casualty type of event.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I dont think this is a world thing..unless we are talking 3rd world..no this is America Im afraid.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

because an isolated incident happens dont ever help anyone, and you wonder why the world is going to sh+t.

thanks for spreading the word

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: raypsi13

The lengths that some people will go to so they can blame law enforcement for something never ceases to amaze me.

Look up the history of ignorance and you will know why you should avoid being ignorant.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I cant fathom why they ever turned their back on someone they determined was not in a good stater of mind by either drugs or alcohol. Lack of world experience I suppose. I think this guy was placed there as a false flag by the Obama administration to further the anti-gun debate for the next round of frontal assault on the second in the next election. Don't be surprised if he escapes/disappears never to be seen again.

Either way, the only real lesson here should be, never turn your back on someone/strangers who is unanimously determined to be intoxicated, inebriated, not in a right state of mind.

I will continue to help those I ever see in distress on the road. NO FEAR !

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
After reading the OP's conclusion and most of the responses all I can say is... Social engineering at it's disturbingly finest.

Something to point out... you hear it a lot when something like this happens, most older farts can remember back 30, 40 years ago when even hitchhiking was still quite common and if a car was broke down or in an accident you'd see more than a couple folks stopping to lend a hand.

The only thing that's different now is that the collective social ideology is no longer pleasantly optimistic or even neutral, but is instead hyper individualistic and overtly crass and borderline paranoid.

When we've gotten to a point where we're intentionally conceding to fear and paranoia to deny our natural instinct to help our fellow man... we're fked.

The worlds a dangerous place, it always has been, but be cautious not fearful.
edit on 23-1-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I dont think this is a world thing..unless we are talking 3rd world..no this is America Im afraid.

sorry waylaying happens all over the world. Its a ambush tactic. SO no not just america.

top topics

join