It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blizzard strikes East Coast; motorists stranded for hours in Kentucky

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Or sometimes we have bosses who don't believe that it is dangerous to drive in snow storms. Well, I live in upstate NY, so we are better prepared for these snowstorms, but still. They threaten us if we choose to not risk our lives.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Here in the northeast part of CT, I've seen about a half hour's worth of flurries, that's it so far at noonish.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: whatmakesyouright

I had a boss from New York who threatened to fire me if I didn't open my card shop during the ice storm. Like people are going to be panic shopping for gifts, LOL. My boss didn't understand how dangerous it was to drive on ice in Texas.

Luckily, our home office told us all to stay closed.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I just thought I would throw my two cents out there and say that incompetence is running rampant now a days. When I was living in Likely, British Columbia, prior to having our pristine lake turn cesspool thanks to Imperial Metals Mount Polley Mine. We would get snow, sometimes with a bit of warning sometimes without. Most times our snowfall warning would be a forecast of 10cm however we would end up with 30cm or roughly one foot.

Above is the amount of snow that fell overnight in eight hours, we were forecasted for 10cm.

The two pictures above are from 72 hours of snow fall. This is a friend's driveway that was up north logging, because he was not home his house was not on my priority list because I had five other people who were home that needed help to keep ahead of the snow. For those three days I ran a snow blower for 40 hours. I have lived all over western Canada, Edmonton, Vancouver, Kelowna and many rural areas. From my experience it is mainly people in cities that don't understand the concept that if you struggle to make it out of your driveway, you won't make it through the city. I think Edmonton has the worst drivers I have ever encountered though. I've seen 30-50 car accidents on the way to Leduc. The highway is four lanes both ways in areas and is flat, it meanders slightly but people seem to wear their dunce cap proudly.
edit on 23-1-2016 by IronNuts because: picture didn't load

edit on 23-1-2016 by IronNuts because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2016 by IronNuts because: English bad me fix

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I saw snow once,in a NatGeo special about Penguins.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think your overreacting Truebrit!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I have only ever done that once.

I voted and everything. Should have known better

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I heard a phone interview with a woman who had been stuck on the KY interstate for over 8 hours and counting, she had 3 children with her along with her husband and mother. No food or drink because they had planned to get off at the next exit to eat. She only had a half of tank of gas. Others have been there for 12 hours and counting. I hope that lady and her family made it to safety!
That would be my worse nightmare!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
A driving ban will go into effect for NYC at 2:30pm EST. I guess to give people a chance to get home.

I hope there aren't anymore casualties.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: TrueBrit

Also take note True, the verbiage has shfted; some of these new terms are new and fancy/sarc.

System
Lake effect
Occluded front
Nor easter
Super storm
Thunder snow

They are bringing "Doom Weather" to us at best

Thanks for posting

LOL.

Thunder snow does seriously scare me, though. Not the noise, itself, I'm used to it. Had Thunder snow here about a week ago. It is the realization that snow is falling at 3" an hour and I will either need to soon part with money for a plow guy or have to go out about 10x myself to shovel and try to keep up with it.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IronNuts

From my experience it is mainly people in cities that don't understand the concept that if you struggle to make it out of your driveway, you won't make it through the city.

You also have to factor in that weather is a prediction. Many times weathermen get it wrong, the amount and the times to expect it. They both over and under predict, sometimes it's just for ratings. I believe this has caused people to accept things with a grain of salt. It's not entirely anyone's fault when this happens. They most likely are thinking, sure it's hard to get out of the driveway BUT the main roads have been cleared and salted. The up side for you is that business is booming! Hang in there and wish you the best in this mess!
As for me, I prepare no matter what and keep my squeaky self at home! Milk and bread? You bet your arse I got it! haha

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I know all about the good ol western Canadian winters, and kudos to you for helping out your neighbours.

Personally I love it when it snows lots, usually because it means I don't have to venture out anywhere for the most part.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
We're snowed in with 4 tress down across our driveway, we probably wont be able to get out until Wednesday.

This storm in going to be explosive.

Once it sucks up the hot water from the gulf stream it'll suck up heat like a diesel powered thermal nuclear space comblobulator.
It'll be almost like sticking a megaton stick of dynamite in your arse and jumping around in a bouncy room full of hydrogen balloons. Once the storm hits and the electrical sparks start to sputter the whole damn thing is going to blow your arse completely off.

Serious storm happening.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

From my experience it is mainly people in cities that don't understand the concept that if you struggle to make it out of your driveway, you won't make it through the city.
They most likely are thinking, sure it's hard to get out of the driveway BUT the main roads have been cleared and salted. The up side for you is that business is booming! Hang in there and wish you the best in this mess!

So I think the biggest thing I take away from what you have written is that too many people make assumptions. For instance, I am not in the snow removal buisness, I am in construction by trade. I was merely helping people in a time which they were unable to themselves. It is also the assumption of the people that think the roads are clear that get them in trouble.
I have a rule that I live by and that is "If I get myself into a mess, I need to get myself out of it". In my drybox in my truck I have: SS water containers, granola bars, shovels, axes, tarps, ropes, slings, come along, traps, water proof pants and jacket, gloves, flagging tape, folding saw, basic hand tools, air hose/tools (air conditioner is turned into a 100psi onboard air) and more I can't think of of the top of my head. When I go into the bush another rule I live by "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it". I know that my limit for driving in snow is 70-100cm depth depending on the snow being wet, compact or fluffy. I also have the ability to air down and up to change the foot print of my truck deppending on my needs. I am just about thirty and have the odd white hair, I call those my wisdom hairs.

cheers, Nuts
edit on 23-1-2016 by IronNuts because: formating

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
A driving ban will go into effect for NYC at 2:30pm EST. I guess to give people a chance to get home.

Martial law for a snowstorm?

Why not just announce that you're on your own if you get into trouble.

Rediculous! !! never had pronouncements like that years past that'd make this seem but a flurry.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I love how a thread about snow devolves into some kind of argument.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

It use to be the Canadian thing to do, help your neighbors. Just like when driving if you had six vehicles behind you that you were slowing up by not doing the speed limit you would pull over and let everyone pass. Man, I miss those days, just like when British Columbia use to care about the enviroment.
I also like when it snows a lot, I feel awkward using snow shoes when there is only 15cms. The GF and I also like making snowman when the conditons are right.

Cheers, Nuts

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

originally posted by: reldra

Martial law for a snowstorm?

Why not just announce that you're on your own if you get into trouble.

Rediculous! !! never had pronouncements like that years past that'd make this seem but a flurry.

They're not just on their own, they're in the way of those trying to clear the roads.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Just trying to illustrate that long before humans it has snowed, and it will continue to. The fact that people in this day and age with warning are in trouble is their own fault. It isn't up to the government to come plow them all out, people assume it is and thats why the world is in the state it is. People won't look out for themselves, they want others to do it for them. When you let people have control you can pretty well gurantee they will serve their best intrests first.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join