It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S carolina Lawmaker seeks to register and regulate news reporters.....(you heard me)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

This egregious attempt to winnow out the independent and free reporting of news effectively kills freedom of the press.....
MSM will be behind this guy 100% but from the shadows IMHO.....

In rough summary the government would control who could report the news.....
Welcome to the future....

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Official journalists, approved beforehand, by the state - Ministry of Truth

Along with permits do they require questions to be submitted before press conferences or conventions?

Of course they do.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
We know the MSM is controlled already.....
I believe this is a blatant attack on Bloggers, and other alternate media....as well as private citizens possibly disallowing much public input like you tube etc.....
This isn't even very workable in a free speech setting.....its utter nonsense and a waste of everyones time....
On so many levels....How does the legislative body even entertain it?
Yet its been read into the legislature apparently.....

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Unbelievable they don't even seem to realize anymore how out of bounds that legislation sounds to freedom of speech and the press. The press is the only business actually mentioned in the constitution, thats how important it was to the people who wrote that down for us…

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting …

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
More wasted money and time. I bet he sold his supporters that bill of lies called small government.

"The South Carolina lawmaker who filed a bill Tuesday that would establish a registry for “responsible” journalists now says the whole thing was really — well, mostly — about exposing the media’s double standard on gun control. Gotcha!

After submitting the “South Carolina Responsible Journalism Registry Law,” state Rep. Mike Pitts, a Republican, basically told the Post and Courier of Charleston that he was trolling the media; he knew journalists would flip out over the proposal to curtail 1st Amendment freedoms (we did), and he figured that reaction would stand in contrast to their lack of outrage over efforts to limit 2nd Amendment rights."

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
More wasted money and time. I bet he sold his supporters that bill of lies called small government.

"The South Carolina lawmaker who filed a bill Tuesday that would establish a registry for “responsible” journalists now says the whole thing was really — well, mostly — about exposing the media’s double standard on gun control. Gotcha!

After submitting the “South Carolina Responsible Journalism Registry Law,” state Rep. Mike Pitts, a Republican, basically told the Post and Courier of Charleston that he was trolling the media; he knew journalists would flip out over the proposal to curtail 1st Amendment freedoms (we did), and he figured that reaction would stand in contrast to their lack of outrage over efforts to limit 2nd Amendment rights."

www.washingtonpost.com...[/quot e]

Wow! Now THAT was political genius!! He trolled the media. Good for him. Perfect. He should be re-elected again and again.

edit on 23-1-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Lol!

And he probably will.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If only we had a constitutional right of some sort that we could use... one we should preserve, to protect us from losing this our first constitutional right.
Can anyone think of one?
Oh that's right its the evil one.
Carry on then.
edit on 23-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is what I think... Get AUTHORITY out of their hands ...IN YOUR head.

www.activistpost.com... utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4584d8d75e-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_term=0_b0c7fb76bd-4584d8d75e-387901661

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Right on Cavalry!
And here I thought it was just me........

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Quite frankly, the US "news media" needs some regulation. Between Fox suing for the ability to lie, ABC (or was it NBC, I don't really remember) editing the George Zimmerman 911 tapes to add racial slurs, and the blatant interference in the justice system (Nancy Grace, I'm looking at you), it's become very apparent that "freedom of the press" no longer holds any of its original meaning.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf

The problem is not the media. The problem is not politicians. The problem is we the people who give attention to liars and power to politicians.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

So someone wants to do to the 1st Amendment what so many want to do to the 2nd Amendment.

Brilliant!

new topics

top topics

join