It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I couldn't agree with you more about the important of integrated societies. Today many countries are coping with a new wave of mass immigration. Its happening because of war which is where most of our media is focused, however its also due to inescapable environmental changes (probably where our media prefers not to focus.

But we have to face up to the fact that we are living in one of the most important times of change for our planet. It is affecting our societies already so we have to learn now to cope with our own fears of change plus to make the real changes we need for our societies to thrive and not disintegrate into chaos.

which can no longer be just on archetypes, however deserving from the past, but what we are going to build for our future. Helping people to cope with these changes is going to be as important as helping newly arriving people and here we need to start channelling funds, time and effort to help our societies.

I read through some of the things people are saying will be covered during this month I would love to enjoy also. However a lot of this should be taught in schools during history I am wondering what is being taught instead?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Nuff respect for making an effort to understanding Flavian, but the month itself is not just about history which nerds like myself care about, but a celebration of heritage including food ,music story telling open to all, maybe my Black History month experiences differs from other region of the states I being from the republic of Brooklyn, and like I said earlier other ethnys heritage months is also celebrated which I part take and enjoy, for I am the type who will look at dates and find interesting things to experience, museums , community centers block parties with foods arts and music.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

After the Revolutionary War slavery certainly could NOT have been dealt with. They were drafting a constitution for the new country and needed each colony to ratify it. If you tried to push against slavery then entire south would have rejected it and there would be no USA.
When the amendment was made to abolish slavery a civil war followed. How would that have been different if it was done 90 years before?

And there is a reason the framers included the wording "all men created equal." They wanted to end slavery, but they knew this country (and the world) would not be able to realize that yet. They hoped down the line this country would be able to bring that, and bring it did.

I am not racist. I do not have anything against other races or countries. I understand and have studied history more than most folk. I know there have been tragedies and wrongs committed by many, but I get tired of hearing how we need to feel bad for a group of people because their ancestors had it rough.

The US has done enough to atone for black slavery. They are treated as equals in the community, as far as I've witnessed. And there's a reason Muhammad Ali said after touring parts of Africa when he had a fight over there, "Thank God my granddaddy got on that boat!" (Obviously alluding to the fact that his ancestors were slaves.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

And there is a reason the framers included the wording "all men created equal." They wanted to end slavery, but they knew this country (and the world) would not be able to realize that yet. They hoped down the line this country would be able to bring that, and bring it did.

True but Britain did and both the crown and the common people owned lots of slaves, and it was profitable to boot, not saying the Brits were angels but there were numerous factors that drove them out of the Slavery business such as local pressure at home and massive slave and Maroon rebellions in places like Jamaica abroad, and Haitian revolution drove home the point that one can loose it all, a lesson Napoleon never learnt until it was too late..so yes it was only a matter of political will.
And Pls don't explain that you are not racist , I'd never assume that you were regardless of your opinion, I do know when I am in communication with an out and out racist most of the time.. say your piece pls.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join