It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: ‘Every Major US City East of the Mississippi’ Is Underreporting Heavy Metals In Its Wate

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I agree.
A plumber I know told me to never drink the water without running it first for a short bit. This is especially true first thing in the morning.
And this was 20 years ago.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
a reply to: reldra

You really dont want to rely on those cheap test kits. The ones that are more reliable cost more, and the best test is a blood test for like $100. But getting back to the article, they were referring to the EPA advising cities on test methods that didn't even meet their own standards. That happened in Flint.

Why should one not rely on a $10 test kit? Do you have any facts to show that they aren't better than a $49 test kit? We were talking about testing water, not blood. However, lead levels would show in routine bloodwork.

I WAS referring to the article. The EPA does not question preflushing, they say to do it. For up to 5 minutes. In regard to removing the aerator, the EPA has changed it's recommendation on that several times. In regard to removing the aerator, the EPA states in the 2006 memorandum that there may have been confusion in directions for consumers sampling water at the faucet in their home. Originally it was to avoid false positives, but the EPA clarified that it is better to clean your aerators regularly but NOT just before testing for lead.

memor andum

I refer to the Gizmodo article, the original Guardian article and the memorandum that is referred to in regard to any advising on test methods.

edit on 24-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

and this one. I am not sure how you are blaming the EPA.
edit on 24-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeerwell i work in the water faucet industry and my company switched to no lead soldering only a few years ago so if you have facets in your house that are over 5 years old they are bound to have lead in them from the brasing procedures. and as a foot note you can thank california for us switching to no lead because we wanted to keep selling our products there.

(post by beyondtruth removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
of course the real issue is after they take care of things and say the water is drinkable again can the people trust them? They already lied once and tried to cover up the poisoned water for at least a year.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
of course the real issue is after they take care of things and say the water is drinkable again can the people trust them? They already lied once and tried to cover up the poisoned water for at least a year.

Buy a water filtration system I did and love it. And it captures 98.9 percent of lead according to the ma manual

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I live just outside Flint and over a year ago when info really starting coming out it started with kids breaking out in rashes all over their body after bathing/ showering in the water..Also, the pets, there were soooo many stories about pets being rushed to the vet sick...I cannot even begin to tell you how many people lost pets - its a huge number..
My dog spent 3 days at the vet on an IV and meds after drinking the water at a relatives house..Luckily she made it..On her discharge papers it specifically states about contaminated water and to stay away from Flint water...We don't have Flint water but that doesn't mean I trust it.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Lead's a big deal. Over 40% of the US population is believed to be affected. There is no safe level -- even levels that cannot be measured in the blood, can be indirectly measured in testing and behavior in children. I couldn't find the article I wanted, but here is a much simpler one about the topic in general.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Lead poisoning strikes another US town
(www.msn.com)

A lead poisoning scandal has struck a second US town, with schools closed in Sebring, Ohio Monday and the water treatment plant operator accused of falsifying reports.

Initial tests found elevated lead levels in 28 homes and one school in the midwestern village of about 4,400 people, Ohio's environmental protection agency said. It is not clear how long lead has been leaking from the town's pipes.

The agency said in a statement it has "reason to suspect that the operator falsified reports" and has asked the federal Environmental Protection Agency's criminal division for help with the investigation.

My wife's family is from mid-Ohio, although not near Sebring, they have said they have received an unusual high number of notices from their small city to "flush their taps (run the water) before using it," due to "flushing of fire-hydrants." Problem with that story is that it had been below freezing, and no one has seen any actual fire-hydrant flushing.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
wrong thread.

will be back with comments relative to this thread in a moment.
edit on 27-1-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

Who knew what and when did they know it?

State environmental officials knew as early as October that residents of Sebring in Mahoning County were drinking water contaminated with lead but did not warn the public, records show.

Instead, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency sent multiple warnings to the Sebring Water Treatment Plant, demanding that operators there notify the public that tests showed elevated lead levels. The EPA even set a deadline of Nov. 29 to notify customers of the health threat.

Ohio EPA knew of lead contamination in Sebring for months

When will the madness end?

Are we on a downward spiral with no hope of ever recovering any sort of positive momentum as a species? Have we reached the pinnacle of what we can accomplish and are now inexorably descending into ruin?

The only thing I can think of any time I view any form of government or authority be it an organization or an individual, is, "lies lies lies lies lies lies lies," and nothing else.

In every single realm of its purview, government has become corrupt, inept, or evil if not all at once.
edit on 27-1-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: applicable content added

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Someone close to me worked for a high power engineering group in the 70s in California.

He said a coworker was assigned to do water quality research with a look into the future of water in the area.

As a result, the coworker, after handing in his findings turned in his resignation and left the state with his young family. Apparently there was a major contamination issue that was only slated to get worse over time. And instead of doing anything about it, the plan was to change the "safe levels" incrementally as the problem worsened.

This is a secondhand story, but I've always wondered.

I personally have no reason to believe greedy power-hungry people care about my health and well-being.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
First, while the EPA may say some lead is safe, the CDC says "there are no safe levels of lead" for anyone at anytime. Lead levels in Roman water was likely one reason why Rome collapsed, along with widespread corruption, bad decisions, and debasing their currency, like the US is printing money.

Read "100 Mistakes that Changed History" by Bill Fawcett. He has several entries about Rome including one about them debasing their currency, which was what broke them. (Pun intended.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join