It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: ‘Every Major US City East of the Mississippi’ Is Underreporting Heavy Metals In Its Wate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Until my husband told me of the conversation he had with some of the Fema investigators staying in the hotel he is staying in Detroit neither of us knew anything about the Flint problem, the Fema worker told my husband that the crap is about to hit the ceiling, because the governor of Michigan is neck deep in the crap and cover up.

The Fema worked said that is a town close to the Flint with a small population but the deaths are soo high that it caused concerns within CDC, meanwhile the government kept that information to himself.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

This whole issue has been covered up for a while, now the government of Michigan is scare, the pollution is caused by dumping poison in the water by certain companies, but because the companies supplies jobs to the area they turn a blind eye to the situation, now people have died.

That is only part of the story.
At the time when pollution was entering the river, the river was not used as drinking water. Later it was switched which is real shady if they (those in charge of the city) knew about the dumping then switched to using it. One could say it would be a radical left wing wet dream, to attack Corporations by causing deaths. All the radicals caused deaths to make their point back in the day, even a certain famous mentor of Obama.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Now that I have read on the pollution problem I am getting the scoop but what the Fema investigator told my husband sounds very damaging.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What Did the Governor Know About Flint's Water, and When Did He Know It?

The problem dates back to April 2014, when Flint was under the direction of an emergency manager appointed by the state to try to fix the broken city. (Michigan law provides for the governor to select managers, and the provision has been used in several places in recent years, most prominently Detroit.) To save money, the city began drawing its water from the Flint River, rather than from Detroit’s system, which was deemed too costly. But the river’s water was high in salt, which helped corrode Flint’s aging pipes, leaching lead into the water supply.

The move saved millions, but the problems started becoming apparent almost immediately. The water starting smelling like rotten eggs. Engineers responded to that problem by jacking up the chlorine level, leading to dangerous toxicity. GM discovered that city water was corroding engines at a Flint factory and switched sources. Then children and others started getting rashes and falling sick. Marc Edwards, a Virginia Tech environmental-engineering professor, found that the water had nearly 900 times the recommend EPA limit for lead particles. As my colleague Alana Semuels noted in a deeply reported feature in July 2015, residents believe the city knew about problems as soon as May 2014. Yet as late as February 2015, even after tests showed dangerous lead levels, officials were telling residents there was no threat.

Snyder and the Flint state-appointed city manager have been in full cover-up mode since.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

It is shady but if they had talk they would have been guilty either way, they didn't talk while knowing of the dumping and now people had died.

I can only imagine the law sues that will come from this, I wonder who are the companies dumping their crap in the water.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Ha, I wonder if the dumping of crap in the water also make things worse.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

It is shady but if they had talk they would have been guilty either way, they didn't talk while knowing of the dumping and now people had died.

I can only imagine the law sues that will come from this, I wonder who are the companies dumping their crap in the water.

It's the officials that switched to using a known polluted water source that pinpoints the act of causing deaths.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Michigan’s Snyder facing nation’s most serious scandal

Right now, the State of Michigan should be able to say that it has ensured the delivery of bottled water and water filters to every Flint resident whose drinking water has been contaminated by lead…. Instead, the governor is offering placid responses and slow-walking important remedies, while the investigation into how one of Michigan’s greatest man-made public health crises unfolded comes up with explanations in dribs and drabs.

It’s not just derelict – it invokes inglorious comparison to other callous and insensitive official responses to tragedy. Think of the shameful federal response to Hurricane Katrina, where the same lack of urgency delayed life-saving aid. The poverty rate in Flint is 40%; 52% of Flint residents are African-American. And so we are prompted to ask: How would the state have responded to a crisis of such proportions in a community with more wealth and power?

In 2014, the city of Flint, under the control of an “emergency manager” appointed by the governor, was looking for ways to save money. To that end, the Snyder administration approved a plan in which the city would switch its water source: instead of getting water from Detroit, Flint would cut costs by drawing water directly from the Flint River.

In theory, there’s nothing particularly wrong with getting drinking and bathing water from a nearby river; plenty of communities across the country already do that. But in order to make Flint River water safe for people, it has to receive a special anti-corrosion treatment. Failing to treat the water sends corrosive river water through local pipes, it starts to eat through plumbing, and the result is lead poisoning.

The Snyder administration did not take the necessary precautions. What’s more, as the community grew concerned about its water, administration officials initially told local residents not to worry and to keep drinking the water.

The result, of course, is a public health crisis in which countless city residents, including many children, have been poisoned, which leads to severe and long lasting consequences. Snyder last week declared an official emergency – he also issued an apology of sorts on New Year’s Eve – but the people of Flint still don’t have safe, clean water.

Sorry for the large copy/paste. It does give a glimpse of why people are so upset at this.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I wonder if the governor will blame the problem just on broken pies and leaks so big money can walk free.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Does the information tells how many people had died from the poisoning? the way the Fema was talking it seems that it was a lot of deaths from the poisoning and not just sickness, I mean like several hundreds of people.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I wonder if the governor will blame the problem just on broken pies and leaks so big money can walk free.

If you go to a restaurant and they serve you food off of their dirty floor, is it the janitors fault or the servers?
If you say servers is it only because you think they have more money than the janitors?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

It is funny, because in this nation money talks and bs walks, that is the way companies works, we can not have companies moving away leaving a gaping whole in the economy in Michigan so that is the type of justification that probably will be use.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Problem is a lot of the people who will get sick from lead poisoning are likely too poor to visit a doctor (based on the cities demographics), and consequently their sickness will not be known until they get extremely sick or they die. Even then, will they bother to look at it as a result of lead poisoning? Hopefully with all the media attention they will keep faithful records of those reporting symptoms.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I am sure that the attention is been given, a bit late for those that had died, but I got the feeling that those behind the poisoning will walk free and the governor will just find a way to blame corroded pipes and will walk away too.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I remember sitting in my Water Distribution and Treatment classes for my certs and learning about all the Pros and goodies you get with public water works.

Then stories like this come out and I think "Well that was all bs"
edit on 23-1-2016 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Ah, so crumbling infrastructure and poor water quality is Obama's or Democrats fault. Gotcha.

There isn't a topic on this board that wingnuts won't Blame Obama for.

Not to get too partisan with this, but Obama did try to fix our infrastructure. We spent $831 billion on it (not that that's enough in the first place), and in the end only 2% of that money actually went to projects it was supposed to goto. Some would blame Obama for that, when in reality we gave that money to the states and let them spend it which meant it went to budgets rather than infrastructure.

Lots of people are to blame, and it goes back a lot further than 2009. We should have started rebuilding our infrastructure 25 years ago.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

The problem in Flint isn't due to illegal dumping. It's one of city management. The chemicals they put into the water to treat it so that it's safe for humans corroded the lead pipes. That in and of itself isn't even a crime, it's a (serious) mistake. The crime is that the city then realized what was happening and covered it up because doing otherwise would be too expensive.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Who didn't guess this? That's why I've spent time researching what kinds of filters to use (and what I can realistically afford). The water travels through all kinds of crap before it gets to you. It stands to reason that it doesn't come out of the faucet perfect.

Of course filters will only help if they're well made.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I have a suspicion that if anyone were to go about trying to get funding for independent analysis, by way of shouting out to the net for funds and receiving them via the internet, the chances are that their attempts would cause an alert, and they would probably invite the ire of local law enforcement at the behest of the governors office, or any local judge, or official who both has some power over the police, and can be bought by those who would stand to loose money, their jobs, or their liberty from any exposure of the public to the truth.

If this report is accurate, the EPA have spent more time and money preventing public exposure to the truth, than to harmful chemicals. You can buy an awful lot of corruption for the sort of money that's been wasted so far.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This is the first I have heard of this, which is exactly what keeps me coming back to ATS. This is very concerning news.

Also, I could not agree more with the other point in your post. Imagine the tens of billions spent on bettering our planet, and the lives of those who live here, rather than, as you said, waisting it on manufactured wars?

I guess all we can do is try to right the ship going forward. It won't be easy, obviously.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join