It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: ‘Every Major US City East of the Mississippi’ Is Underreporting Heavy Metals In Its Wate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

A scientist who was part of an Environmental Protection Agency taskforce disclosed documents to The Guardian which shows how water boards are distorting tests to make their water appear safer, a practice confirmed by an anonymous source:

The controversial approach to water testing is so widespread that it occurs in “every major US city east of the Mississippi” according to an anonymous source with extensive knowledge of the lead and copper regulations. “By word of mouth, this has become the thing to do in the water industry. The logical conclusion is that millions of people’s drinking water is potentially unsafe,” he said.

Specific cities named included Detroit and Philadelphia, and the entire state of Rhode Island.

Report: ‘Every Major US City East of the Mississippi’ Is Underreporting Heavy Metals In Its Water

Here come the Water Wars. Sadly many cities that thought they would be immune due to large bodies of fresh water nearby now may find themselves not so immune - with unsafe levels of heavy metals in their water supplies and an increase in toxic algae blooms.

It's a good thing this country spent it's most productive decades financing the elite's wars instead of investing in our infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

It's a good thing this country spent it's most productive decades financing the elite's wars instead of investing in our infrastructure.

Of course, there's good profit to be had by blowing the # out of brown people & stealing their resources.
Can't make quarterlies with infrastructure financing, what are you some kind of pinko commie anti capitalist.

Seriously though that would not surprise at all.
This greed induced man made atrocity in Flint needs to be criminally investigated & whoever is found complicit needs to be dealt with.
S&F
K~
edit on 22-1-2016 by aethertek because: Flint

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
UK spent Years diging up the old lead pipes.
I bet they still did not get them all.
you in US, I bet 90% of your pipes are still lead.
its to dum you down.
just look how it works! no joke.

edit on 22-1-2016 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well when in Rome as they say....

ScienceShot: Did Lead Poisoning Bring Down Ancient Rome?

Massive government failure then and now.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Good marketing advantages for home water filters.

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Seriously, every house should own one.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
While the source article is based on a claim by a former employee, I don't doubt that the claims are possible...

Why wouldn't a group of concerned citizens grab the EPA water testing procedures, and go forth and conduct their own tests on their paid for community supplied water?

They could document the collection, the sealing of the samples, and follow the sample from source to final test analysis, and post the findings on YT...

That would provide evidence, that we all know we aren't going to get from the authorities...

Start a "go fundme" under the title "Is my water safe" title and gather the funds needed to accomplish this quest for the facts?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Huge populations make huge pollution- it's not rocket science. Not to mention we've been shortchanging infrastructure to pay for wars and corporate criminals' bonuses.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
And now with the advent of wide spread fracking; we can expect even more toxicity in the aquifers and ground water.

www.usnews.com...

edit on 22-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If this is true we need to put their heads on spikes.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Is that link trustworthy? If so where did all the money go that states and counties are to use for maintaining the water?
edit on 22-1-2016 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well, I think my water is safe, according to our supplier anyways ...

The water crisis in Flint, Mich., may lead residents to question water quality in the Tampa Bay region. The water quality issues in Flint are due to corrosion – when the pH and alkalinity of water is not balanced. Corrosive water dissolves lead and other harmful agents in pipelines and fixtures.

Tampa Bay Water has been treating water to minimize corrosiveness since 2002, the year the agency first introduced river water into the regional water supply system. The agency’s tailored corrosion control process is specifically designed to protect the public’s drinking water.

The regional supplier adjusts alkalinity and pH in its treatment plant before the water is distributed, and monitors water quality at numerous points throughout the supply system.

“If it doesn’t meet our high water quality standards, it doesn’t leave the plant,” said Christine Owen, Tampa Bay Water’s regulatory compliance senior manager.

Tampa Bay Water uses a multi-barrier approach to treating water, which makes water progressively cleaner:

Color and contaminants are removed through a process called coagulation. Ferric sulfate, the coagulant, makes color and contaminants stick to it and settle out of the water.
Water is disinfected with ozone, the most powerful disinfectant in water treatment. It kills harmful micro-organisms.
Water is filtered to remove particles, disinfected again with chlorine, and pH and alkalinity are adjusted to make sure the water is stable and not corrosive.

Tampa Bay Water is the largest wholesale water supplier in Florida, providing high-quality drinking water to its members, who in turn, supply water to more than 2.4 million residents of the Tampa Bay area. Tampa Bay Water member governments include the cities of New Port Richey, St. Petersburg and Tampa, and the counties of Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas. Tampabaywater.org

Im going to just take their word for it now, as I have been drinking the tap water all my life, and so have my children. They excel in academics, so I would assume they are not having any learning deficiencies from lead and copper.

This metropolis East of the Mississippi tastes safe to me. Everyone, move here, bring your jobs and taxes here, and we shall provide safe clean water for all

Did I mention we also use Desalinated water as well?
edit on 22-1-2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer Cities are fined for non compliance by the , states are fined by the Federal government. I was trained as Environmental for several years until my company demoted me for telling inspectors the truth, which cost them fines. Over 30 years on the job at the time , and they threatened to fire me, I threatened right back, and told them I had stacks of paperwork and pictures to prove my case. Plant manager cried and said he would have to go to prison> I said yes, and keep that in mind. He is nice most of the time now

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
PS I filter all my water through a Big Berkey filter wth the british black filter on top and a heavy metal trap on the bottom.
edit on 22-1-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

No, lead was taken out decades ago. Very few old houses have lead in them still. We don't even use copper for 99% of new installs it's PEX.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
While the source article is based on a claim by a former employee, I don't doubt that the claims are possible...

Why wouldn't a group of concerned citizens grab the EPA water testing procedures, and go forth and conduct their own tests on their paid for community supplied water?

They could document the collection, the sealing of the samples, and follow the sample from source to final test analysis, and post the findings on YT...

That would provide evidence, that we all know we aren't going to get from the authorities...

Start a "go fundme" under the title "Is my water safe" title and gather the funds needed to accomplish this quest for the facts?

Hey now...

Let's not inject logic into this. Makes for a crappy story.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What percentage of these "city" areas are administered by Obama Democrats?
That is the question people should ask. Overlay these to blue precincts to find proof of inept negligence in carrying out their duty to uphold public safety. My guess is they have been heavy into community organizing and lax on actually administering. They probably held meetings with BLM instead of meetings to fund their water supplies. Priorities.

There is a parallel to Egypt, where the Muslim Brotherhood was given the reigns and their radical agenda didn't include picking up the garbage or funding operating budgets, which got them tossed out on their ears.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The reason this worker is talking is due to the scandal that is about to break soon when it comes to big cover up that the governors on the states affected will be facing in the coming weeks.

People had died in certain small community in Michigan close as the result of Flint pollution problem, Fema has been call to the area to investigate the allegations of the death.

Is not just a few people that had died from pollution and is big law sues about to be filed, the Governor is in big trouble because he was behind the cover up and they know from where the pollution is coming but money talks and BS walk.

How do I know this because my husband is in business in Detroit and he happen to be staying in the same hotel that members of Fema are staying and they are talking.

Big, big scandal to make the media soon if the government doesn't cover up.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Ah, so crumbling infrastructure and poor water quality is Obama's or Democrats fault. Gotcha.

There isn't a topic on this board that wingnuts won't Blame Obama for.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

This whole issue has been covered up for a while, now the government of Michigan is scare, the pollution is caused by dumping poison in the water by certain companies, but because the companies supplies jobs to the area they turn a blind eye to the situation, now people have died.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

That's been true since the start of the industrial revolution, it reached a peak in the 60's, my own city is renown for having a river so polluted with industrial waste and oil runoff it caught on fire. Twice. The government and the EPA seemed to be making improvements in cleaning up the water, but then lobbyists and GOPpers began undermining and weakening the EPA to the point it is nothing more than a rubber stamp for industrial polluters.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join