It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast Demands NRA Remove Gun Images From Great American Outdoor Show Ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
A media war is on between cable giant ComCast and the NRA !!

CC wants the NRA to get rid of some adds that apparently are too un-PC and "suggestive".

The "Suggestive" ads are of course about the dirty word GUNS.

Makes you wonder who is pressing the CC buttons higher up the chains of political correctness.

videos included !!
Comcast Demands NRA Remove Gun Images From Great American Outdoor Show Ads

NRA spokesman says the NRA has no plans to alter the ads

Comcast is demanding the NRA remove images of guns from the two television ads that have been submitted for the Great American Outdoor Show (GAOS).

The ads–one titled “Family” and the other “Exhibitors”–include images of firearms that are on the screen for a split-second. After all, GAOS is a show for fans of “shooting, fishing, and camping.” For this reason, images of tents, large game, fish, and rods and reels are interspersed with the firearm images.

and here's a real LuLu .....

The GAOS is held in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, where Democrat Mayor Eric Papenfuse has already withdrawn police security as a way of showing his disapproval of the NRA. Speaking with Breitbart News, the NRA said Papenfuse demanded they pay the city $50,000 a year for five years–for a total of $250,000–on top of the fees they would be required to pay for use of the police force.

What a weak and feeble shot that is by the Mayor !!!
Like no police security at that show is a problem !!

What *ARE* they so afraid of?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
That's just stupid. What the hell do they expect to be at an outdoors show, where there are sure to be things for hunting? Dumb.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

They dont want it. Doesnt mean they are afraid. None of the actions are erroding freedoms. They can hire private security if they really need protection and Comcast doesnt have to air any adds they dont like. Its the NRA trying to cry "they are taking our freedoms" in order to garner more attention to itself.

I joined the NRA while I was in the military (free lifelong membership) and I regret it. I have recived so much junk mail from the "head" of the NRA about freedom grabbing most of which was BS through and through. Its amazing from the outside I had no idea they cried wolf so much.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

That title alone is impressive....

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I suppose that's Comcast's prerogative to not accept the NRA's ads. Perhaps they feel it may hurt their brand to feature such non politically correct material in their cable advertisements.

Having said that, one would think that the vile treatment of their customers, poor service, and exorbitant pricing would have already hurt their brand.

There are other options for getting their advertising into the markets that want to penetrate. They could go directly to the broadcasters in those area. I believe they will receive less pushback from the smaller businesses that are more interested in revenue than political correctness.

Now the decision by the mayor to withhold the police presence from within the show is another matter. It would appear that from this Washington Examiner article that the city receives a handsome donation for their services. But demanding $250,000 is pure blackmail.

This show is attended by 200,000 people. That is an enormous amount of tourist revenue for the city, and the boost in tax revenue is certainly non-trivial. I would think that balancing political correctness against Millions of Dollars of income for the region would fall on the side of revenue. What happens when the NRA decides to move the show to another, friendlier, venue?

I guess people are taking out their frustrations on the NRA because of what they view as an epidemic of gun violence. While the NRA is a powerful lobby in Congress, they do other good things concerning gun and hunting safety. And if the people want to go after lobbyists that are really hurting America, I'd suggest they start with the banksters. Another Trillion Dollar financial meltdown will do a helluva lot more damage than a room full of AR-15s.

I support responsible firearm ownership. Most of the recent events in the news are caused by people who should not have had guns to begin with. So, I do support more detailed background checks. Other than that, people need to get over their aversion to Americans and our guns. It is the way of things, and it ain't gonna change.

-dex

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

They dont want it. Doesnt mean they are afraid. None of the actions are erroding freedoms. They can hire private security if they really need protection and Comcast doesnt have to air any adds they dont like. Its the NRA trying to cry "they are taking our freedoms" in order to garner more attention to itself.

I joined the NRA while I was in the military (free lifelong membership) and I regret it. I have recived so much junk mail from the "head" of the NRA about freedom grabbing most of which was BS through and through. Its amazing from the outside I had no idea they cried wolf so much.

I too joined the NRA once, years ago when I was handling a large amount of cash because membership came with $1,000 of insurance coverage if my gun was stolen out of my car.

It didn't take me long to regret and drop my membership too.

I've owned guns my entire life and the NRA sure as hell didn't and doesn't, represent my views and I wouldn't want anything to do with them either.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I don't subscribe to Comcast and so wouldn't know, but I would guess that they show programming with plenty of gun violence as part of the content. With so many cops shows and movies portraying criminal activities that involve gun action these days, I can't believe that Comcast isn't promoting gun violence and criminal activities by broadcasting this type of programming.

So the NRA shows some guns for a second or two and they want it off the air, but action movies and cops shows portray people getting blown away in the most violent of fashion and that is not promoting gun violence?

I'm totally sick of cop and robber shows that portray such violent gun use, gun violence is all over the popular media, all the way back to the old westerns and WWII movies. Why don't they ban that crap?

top topics

join