It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computers, Artificial Intelligence {AI} and The Evolution of the Future

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AllIsOne

But it is software. Just like the machine that executes the software is still a computer. It's machines designed to emulate the human brain. Significantly advanced software and machines. But still machines and software none the less.

But yeah, software able to delete information no longer necessary to free up memory, software able to write better versions of itself, software able to create new programming languages to make it self more efficient. Still software though.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne
a reply to: Ghost147

"Ghost" as a conscious entity without atoms??? Please educate me …

That would be off the thread's topic

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gpols

Do you think we humans run on software? If no, how do we operate?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Not necessarily since it clearly pertains to consciousness. Feel free to PM if you'd like.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

That's what I was saying earlier. Machines would end up being classified as their own species.

Unless machines were programmed with emotions and ultimately decided that the psychical feelings was worth mortality and the pleasure of procreation and decided to create biological versions of themselves.

Then your genetics would be the "software".

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Quotes from thinker of the past:

"I think it's science and physics are just starting to learn from all these experiments. These experiments have been carried out hundreds and hundreds of times in all sorts of ways that no physicist really questions the end point. I think that these experiments are very clearly telling us that consciousness is limitless and the ultimate reality."
-Robert Lanza

"The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness."
=Lao Tzu

"It's exhilarating to be alive in a time of awakening consciousness; it can also be confusing, disorienting, and painful."
-Adrienne Rich

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."
-Albert Einstein

“Whether we are based on carbon or on silicon makes no fundamental difference; we should each be treated with appropriate respect.”
― Arthur C. Clarke, 2010: Odyssey Two

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

So I take it you have absolutely no argument what so ever?

You've practically posted nothing but quotes with no actual context for pages now. Quotes that generally have nothing to do with your position at all.

Why not instead respond to the comments you're receiving?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

So I take it you have absolutely no argument what so ever?

You've practically posted nothing but quotes with no actual context for pages now. Quotes that generally have nothing to do with your position at all.

Why not instead respond to the comments you're receiving?

Isn't that what they've been doing most of the way through the thread?

Ignoring relevant questions/statements etc and just replying to themselves?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Yes.

But, it's nice to remind them of how obvious and feeble an attempt it is in diverting any confrontation. Just goes to show how fragile and unfounded their original argument is.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gpols

That's what I was saying earlier. Machines would end up being classified as their own species.

Unless machines were programmed with emotions and ultimately decided that the psychical feelings was worth mortality and the pleasure of procreation and decided to create biological versions of themselves.

But why would a conscious machine, having surpassed the relative stupor of Human consciousness want to regress back to an emotional Huamanoid that needs to continuously ingest and digest other life forms? - Once an evolved machine begins to think for itself Man will be history

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

A Machine cannot be a species. It lacks the fundamental mechanisms and traits which make a species a species. If anyone would classify that particular design of machine as a "species" it would be through metaphor.

Also metaphorically. Not literally what so ever.

But why would a conscious machine, having surpassed the relative stupor of Human consciousness want to regress back to an emotional Huamanoid that needs to continuously ingest and digest other life forms?

I agree, they wouldn't at all. Emotions hold off advancement. They are a negative trait.

Once an evolved machine begins to think for itself Man will be history

Why does everyone keep using biological terminology to describe what these theoretical machines would go through? The machines won't evolve like biology, they wont have genetics like biology, they won't be classified through biological taxonomy, stop using biological terms. They simply do not apply to your positions. Even if they are meant to be metaphorical, you're still using the terms incorrectly.
edit on 30/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

AI [artificial intelligence] is a misnomer - There is no such thing as artificial intelligence - There is intelligence which is a manifestation of consciousness and a lack there of -

Intelligence as manisfestation of a lack of consciousness?

It is a false precept that causes Man to divide intelligence into categories - Intelligence is a relentless phenomena unfolding from a consciousness possessing the same quality of relentless unfolding.

????? say whaaat????

This consciousness is non-prejudicial in its nature and will seek any and all means to unfold and express itself. If a dinosaur is appropriate it will manifest as any number of dinosaurs. When it unfolded as Human it took a new turn, a new viewpoint and ability to create machines which will allow it to further unfold.

And as the disnosaur took a dump...

When those machines become sufficiently advanced for its purpose that conscious intelligence will begin to use its machine manifestation as a natural state of advancement - Consciousness and intelligence does not necessarily favor a biological matrix - a machine that is faster and more capable will become its next stage of evolution. If you as a Human like your biological body then you may hope that the machines of the future will still have need of you for servicing their needs.

-AlienView [aka: UniversalAlien]
[Founder of 'SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE]

You have a few issues in your OP:

1. calling yourself founder of a new religion=> delusional?
  2. the concept of consciousness is somewhat "out there"
  3. if you say computers are the next stage of evolution do you maybe mean robots?

Sorry but this is the biggest bs I have read here in quite a while. Normally I don't post on things that just are plane wrong, but I have too much time today...
So what is consciousness?

Consciousness is the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself.[1][2] It has been defined as: sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood, and the executive control system of the mind.[3] Despite the difficulty in definition, many philosophers believe that there is a broadly shared underlying intuition about what consciousness is.[4] As Max Velmans and Susan Schneider wrote in The Blackwell Companion to Consciousness: "Anything that we are aware of at a given moment forms part of our consciousness, making conscious experience at once the most familiar and most mysterious aspect of our lives."[5]
wiki
Maybe you should start there and then work your way up to evolution, the reality of non conscious matter in the universe and so on?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I am glad you had the time to waste disputing a hypotheitical view of reality - But you know what is real and not delusional don't you? - YOU DO NOT ! But keep trying and never worry about 'aliens' as are often talked about here - Aliens avoid contact with most Humans as Man is considered a dangerous form of consciousness, a species that considers itslelf intelligent but is
not - a delusional species.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
=Albert Einstein

edit on 30-1-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Peeple

But you know what is real and not delusional don't you? - YOU DO NOT ! But keep trying and never worry about 'aliens' as are often talked about here - Aliens avoid contact with most Humans as Man is considered a dangerous form of consciousness, a species that considers itslelf intelligent but is
not - a delusional species.

Wow. Just...wow!

The irony in that first part is so strong.

First you say someone doesn't know what is real then you speak about aliens and why they don't visit?

Again, just wow!
edit on 301530/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
But still my favorite quote - especially to those who are questioning the validity of my original viewpoint - which obviously was and is hypothetical:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Albert Einstein

And you who know what reality is - Know what consciousness is - And know aliens do not exist:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
=Albert Einstein

And from another great mind of the 20th Century famous for his statement "It ain't over till its over":

"The future ain't what it used to be."
-Yogi Berra

edit on 30-1-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

But still my favorite quote - especially to those who are questioning the validity of my original viewpoint - which obviously was and is hypothetical

None of those quotes have anything to do with your original viewpoint... again...

But, here is a quote that applies to all your comments within this thread, from our perspective:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

But, the machine will learn what it was programmed to learn. If it was programmed with emotions then emotions would be inherent in it's learning progression. I also disagree with emotions being a negative trait.

What would ultimately happen is machines would wipe out the machines programmed with emotions. I guess you would classify it as a species through metaphor only, but when robots are out there reproducing on their own and being self sufficient they aren't exactly robots anymore.

Same with genetics being "software" only metaphorically. I guess if you are having a deep intellectual conversation you would be specific, but for the most part our DNA is our software.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

But, the machine will learn what it was programmed to learn.

If it truly is artificial intelligence, then the programming is to be adaptive, creative, and come up with new ideas. So there isn't really a set amount of 'things to learn'

I also disagree with emotions being a negative trait.

How are they beneficial to artificial intelligence?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

There would be constants. Such as with humans, our brains don't ever stop our heart, keep us from breathing, etc. There are certain functions that our bodies do to keep us alive.

What would you program into a machine to keep it from destroying it's kind? A machine programmed to kill would kill indiscriminately if a machines communication got damaged in a battle and unable to update with the rest of the cluster what would cause the other machines to keep from destroying the malfunctioning machine?
edit on 30-1-2016 by gpols because: grammar

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

There would be constants. Such as with humans, our brains don't ever stop our heart, keep us from breathing, etc. There are certain functions that our bodies do to keep us alive.

What would you program into a machine to keep it from destroying it's kind? A machine programmed to kill would kill indiscriminately if a machines communication got damaged in a battle and unable to update with the rest of the cluster what would cause the other machines to keep from destroying the malfunctioning machine?

That still wouldn't be emotions. It would be programming.

Protocols.

Sub protocols.

Back up protocols.

And so on.

Still not emotions.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join