It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computers, Artificial Intelligence {AI} and The Evolution of the Future

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Some people have already mentioned the word evolution.

Could the laws of the Universe themselves change ?

Imagine an "errant soul "(for want of a better word) taking over a machine. Some who are into spiritualism (and I am not) believe that spirits take over the Ouija Board to answer the questions. I would therefore find it plausible that a machine can be animated by some intelligenc in spirit form.

Therefore , if we were to assume that there are billions of life forms in the spiril/astral plane that wanted to manifest in the material world, could machines ( that reason and walk ) be an attractive medium or vehicle for them to manifest.

Then , what would happen to some of the laws of the Universe ? If you are into the occult , you would know that our physical body is connected to the astral matrix and astral body through fluids such as blood. Now if a machine does not have blood and yet is "possessed" by a subtle being , would that not break the unbreakable law of reflection (material reflect Astral and Vice Versa). Could the material world then actually manifest without the connection to the Astral. This would effectively mean a new plane is created which is completely independent and autonomous of the Universe . A material plane which is no longer an illusion, but only for the robots to live in.

edit on 23-1-2016 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
a reply to: Ghost147
So I went out and found a link to define biological 3volution:
(source)
1. Organisms produce more offspring than actually survive.
2. Every organism must struggle to survive.
3. There is variation within a species.
4. Some variations allow members of a species to survive and reproduce better than others.
5. Organisms that survive and reproduce pass their traits to their offspring, and the helpful traits gradually appear in more and more of the population.

Sorry, but you're mistaken in that the link (and 5 parts you've listed) do not define biological evolution, but they do explain how Natural Selection drives evolution.

All that's needed to define Biological Evolution is: Evolution is change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations.

Your points do indeed involve a mechanism within biological evolution (natural selection), but it is not a definition of the Theory of Evolution. Kind of like fruit and trees, for example :Cheers:

The way I read this is living organisms are trying to hammer out a survival strategy, starting with their body and ending with their mind. But it's a messy process. Biological evolution is violent. It's generations and generations of genetic war--genes fighting for supremacy in hte crosshairs of selection pressures. Countless individuals fall dead from various ailments tied to their genes--or otherwise vulnerable circumstances. Large lengths of time are required for serious changes to occur in the genetic makeup, meaning change is slow. (This doesn't mean change can't happen quickly, but it's not usually going to be substantial and fit.)

Again, you're defining Natural Selection, not Evolution.

Slow? Is it? Biological evolution ends with the mind, maybe its greatest achievement.

No, evolution does not end. So long as life exists with reproduction through variation, Evolution will still occur. There are no final products, and to state that a particular mutation, or even set of mutations, is the 'greatest achievement' is far from understanding what Evolution really is. For example, I could argue that the mind isn't the greatest achievement of evolution, but cell walls are, after all, they are a part of all living things, and thus have a greater impact on life in general.

Nevertheless, this is all semantics.

Why? Because we don't need gills like fish: instead we make scuba gear and submarines. We don't need wings like birds because we can make parachutes, planes, hang gliders and blimps. We don't need echolocation like bats because we can make sonar and radar. On and on. We don't need 8 legs and silk producing glands like spiders because we can make climbing gear and use elevators and make traps all the same.

If anything, the mind developed not because we are powerful, but because we are so fragile and weak in comparison to so many other creatures.

We're now travelling on the fringes of space. We even landed on our moon. Not because our body can survive a vacuum or has hte capacity to launch itself into low earth orbit, but because biological evolution created the mind. The mind is fabulous because it freed us from the chains of biological evolution while itself being a creation of biological evolution.

No. We did not become freed of biological evolution, because we are still evolving. We still see variation of genetic heritage through successive generations, which is what defines evolution, and that has yet to stop.

What we have done with technology and society and simply change what natural elements inflict us the most. Natural selection (which is, again, what you're actually referring to) too has not disappeared, but merely changed. How many people die per year because of cigarettes and cars? That is still natural selection, it's only that our environments have changed.

Once we start creating computers which can think like our mind and on its level or better then they'll start making better scuba gear, better airplanes, better spaceships and so on. These things allow us to skirt around selection pressures. Biological evolution is in a state of confusion and cannot keep up anyway, since all of this happened in hundreds of years, not thousands of years--the time scales biological evolution needs to produce fit genes. We're evolving outside the confines of the rule system because it's not our body--or even our mind--which is changing, it's our knowledge and technology and habits and culture and so on.

Sorry, but this statement (as I have shown above) is false.

it's not that technology "evolves," it's that biological evolution isn't as necessary anymore, since we're increasingly using technology and other developments to do what formerly would be done by biological evolution. Unless the evolution of the biological mind continues to be meaningful then it remains to be seen if biological evolution is relevant anymore. And if we're able to reproduce biological evolution in more productive synthetic minds then it might be completely reduced to irrelevance.

The argument isn't based on relevancy, but whether or not the continuation of evolution occurs. I am fully aware that if we genetically augment ourselves, then evolution doesn't really effect us like it would naturally, but if we still reproduce with variation, it still exists regardless.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies
Could the laws of the Universe themselves change ?

What are the laws of the universe?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
No. We did not become freed of biological evolution, because we are still evolving. We still see variation of genetic heritage through successive generations, which is what defines evolution, and that has yet to stop.

What we have done with technology and society and simply change what natural elements inflict us the most. Natural selection (which is, again, what you're actually referring to) too has not disappeared, but merely changed. How many people die per year because of cigarettes and cars? That is still natural selection, it's only that our environments have changed.

You forget to state biological evolution requires thousands of years to produce fit genes, so it's really only meaningful on those scales. When so much progress has occured in the past few hundred years, biological evolution is reduced to a footnote in history.

I'm not saying biological evolution isn't ongoing, it's just greatly reduced in stature because it created the mind. And yes I believe the mind is its greatest achievement. No other creature on Earth is launching itself into space or can literally wipe out most other life on Earth if it chooses. No other form of life on this planet has travelled into so many varied environments. Orcas tend to travle the world, but they do not go on land or travel into the upper atmosphere or go to the deep trenches or go to low Earth orbit. Sorry, but you have to eventually come to the realiziation the biological mind is a powerful invention and it obsoletes its own creator.
edit on 1/23/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You forget to state biological evolution requires thousands of years to produce fit genes, so it's really only meaningful on those scales. When so much progress has occured in the past few hundred years, biological evolution is reduced to a footnote in history.

Yes, but it's not really about 'meaningfulness', but rather, that it is happening at all.

Also, there are things such as "gene regulatory networks" which are capable of instantaneously making a change in the genes of a single generation, creating and causing that single generation to have a rather impacting mutation (such as coloration, or the inability to be susceptible to disease) which effect that generation and onward (if the mutation is beneficial and the organisms can spread that mutation throughout the population.

So It can occur extremely quickly as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Yes, but it's not really about 'meaningfulness', but rather, that it is happening at all.

Also, there are things such as "gene regulatory networks" which are capable of instantaneously making a change in the genes of a single generation, creating and causing that single generation to have a rather impacting mutation (such as coloration, or the inability to be susceptible to disease) which effect that generation and onward (if the mutation is beneficial and the organisms can spread that mutation throughout the population.

So It can occur extremely quickly as well.

And I still say you're desperately clinging to it because you have not yet come to the realization of the power of the mind. This isn't hocus pocus or wishful thinking. You only merely need to look around you. If you're anti-technology then perhaps you don't see what we've created as empowering or good. But if you're going to believe that then the next time you have a serious health problem do not go to the hospital, for hospitals use modern technology. In fact, you should not even use the road system, since it too relies on modern technologies. There's not much left for a person who's anti-technology but to go to South America and live with one of the native tribes. Anything else is less than truthful.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

And I still say you're desperately clinging to it because you have not yet come to the realization of the power of the mind.

It's not about clinging to anything. You've made particular claims which are simply not accurate, and I've provided information to show what is accurate.

This isn't hocus pocus or wishful thinking. You only merely need to look around you. If you're anti-technology then perhaps you don't see what we've created as empowering or good.

When did I ever state I was "anti-technology", I have not been giving my opinion, I have been giving facts.

I wish nothing more than to have the singularity of biology and technology within my lifetime.

But if you're going to believe that then the next time you have a serious health problem do not go to the hospital, for hospitals use modern technology.

I have no idea where you've come up with the idea that I must hate technology simply because I'm correcting your inaccurate information and claims.

In fact, you should not even use the road system, since it too relies on modern technologies. There's not much left for a person who's anti-technology but to go to South America and live with one of the native tribes. Anything else is less than truthful.

Sorry, but your conclusion on my opinion is quite deluded.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I told you evolution requires thousands of years to produce fit genes (in the population), therefore meaning it loses significance in a world where changes are so fast it cannot stay meaningful. We're doing what nature can't. Instead technology and medicine and even gene therapies are becoming more meaningful. People are leanrning about their genes. Just recenlty Angelina Jolie had a mastectomy because of a gene which is tied to breast cancer. You did not state I was untrue on that particular point about fitness, you only stated genes can change immediately and MIGHT spread to the population--thus proving their fitness. All you stated there was fit genes will stick and thousands of years later spread through the population and prove themselves. How is that useful in the immediate though? We do not know those genes are fit until they've proven themselves over thousands of years! I do know of epigenetics, but how all of this automatically means biological evolution can produce substantial and fit changes in the short term is not as clear as you make it out to be. I get the impression you're trying to state biological evolution has no speed limit?

It does have speed limits:
www.theguardian.com - Climate change is happening too quickly for species to adapt ...
www.sciencedaily.com - Speed Limit To The Pace Of Evolution, Biologists Say...

Here Hawking argues something I'm in agreement with:
www.dailygalaxy.com - Stephen Hawking: "Humans Have Entered a New Stage of Evolution"...

And to be fair I'll post some research supporting your viewpoint that biological evolution is keeping pace with mdoern advances:
discovermagazine.com - They Don't Make Homo Sapiens Like They Used To...

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I told you evolution requires thousands of years to produce fit genes, therefore meaning it loses significance in a world where changes are so fast it cannot stay meaningful.

I never denied this, so I'm not sure why you've continued to argue this point.

You did not state I was untrue on that particular point about fitness, you only stated there're cases where evolution can go faster.

This is what you stated:

You forget to state biological evolution requires thousands of years to produce fit genes, so it's really only meaningful on those scales.

I as merely offering the information to show that evolution can go faster; so, your initial claim is partially false. Evolution generally requires several generations to produce fit genes, but it is not the rule.

If you knew of epigenetics, then why make a claim like this?

but how all of this automatically means evolution can produce substantial and fit changes in the short term is not as clear as you make it out to be.

Actually, it is.

Here's a great video explaining the concept a bit further (only 7 min long):

I get the impression you're trying to state biological evolution has no speed limit?

Your impression is inaccurate. I make no such claim that 'evolution has no speed limitations'.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Here's another link supporting what you say, although I still don't think this means biological evolution can keep up:
en.wikipedia.org - The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution...

We have kept up so far by being general and resourceful. That's why I gave hte examples of using submarines instead of gills and airplanes instead of wings. That's our true power. It's why I believe our body will get smaller or thinner and our mind more capable. We need our minds most of all to control all of our technology and knowledge. The only question is whether synthetic minds will emerge to be competitive, or not. And whether synthetic bodies will FULLY replace our biological ones. The end result is I feel an evolving mind is the only requirement: the body is just a tool.

In 400 years I believe humans will still be here. But I'm not sure humans will be the ones exploring the stars. Humans are a natural fit on Earth, but in a spaceship? Unearthly planets? Not. Microprobes make more sense. They're cheaper and do not require life support systems. Any humans traveling the stars will probably be hybrids, with fewer resource needs, unless a Earth-like planet is the destination. And why fight with the humans on Earth over hybridization policy when you can leave and make a colony 50 light years away and do your own thing? Wars can be avoided. If we have hte whole galaxy to ourselves, there's no need to fight just yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Here's another link supporting what you say, although I still don't think this means biological evolution can keep up:
en.wikipedia.org - The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution...

Once again, I'm not denying it can't keep up to technological advancement. So I'm not sure why you're arguing the point.

We have kept up so far by being general and resourceful. That's why I gave hte examples of using submarines instead of gills and airplanes instead of wings. That's our true power.

I know why you gave them as examples, it simply does not mean that evolution ceases to exist.

It's why I believe our body will get smaller or thinner and our mind more capable.

Which would be evidence of evolution.

We need our minds most of all to control all of our technology and knowledge. The only question is whether synthetic minds will emerge to be competitive, or not. And whether synthetic bodies will FULLY replace our biological ones.

That's a perfectly reasonable question, However, it has nothing to do with evolution.

The end result is I feel an evolving mind is the only requirement: the body is just a tool.

I agree. The mind is what makes a person an individual, the body is simply a vessel, and can soon be disposed of.

In 400 years I believe humans will still be here. But I'm not sure humans will be the ones exploring the stars. Humans are a natural fit on Earth, but in a spaceship? Unearthly planets? Not. Microprobes make more sense. They're cheaper and do not require life support systems.

It's not going to be a matter of whether or not humans can live elsewhere, it's that we will become so overpopulated and use so many resources that we will be required to leave Earth one day. The system we have here is simply not sustainable at it's current level.

Any humans traveling the stars will probably be hybrids, with fewer resource needs, unless a Earth-like planet is the destination.

Hybrids with what, exactly?

And why fight with the humans on Earth over hybridization policy when you can leave and make a colony 50 light years away and do your own thing? Wars can be avoided. If we have hte whole galaxy to ourselves, there's no need to fight just yet.

That would be true only for the people leaving.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I hope I'm not disturbing anyone's debate but remember me? The Scienceficitonalist called AlienView on this forum?
- I started this thread and since you are debating something which may not be relevant I went back to review what
I posted:

AI [artificial intelligence] is a misnomer - There is no such thing as artificial intelligence - There is intelligence which is a manifestation of consciousness and a lack there of - It is a false precept that causes Man to divide intelligence into categories - Intelligence is a relentless phenomena unfolding from a consciousness possessing the same quality of relentless unfolding. This consciousness is non-prejudicial in its nature and will seek any and all means to unfold and express itself. If a dinosaur is appropriate it will manifest as any number of dinosaurs. When it unfolded as Human it took a new turn, a new viewpoint and ability to create machines which will allow it to further unfold. When those machines become sufficiently advanced for its purpose that conscious intelligence will begin to use its machine manifestation as a natural state of advancement - Consciousness and intelligence does not necessarily favor a biological matrix - a machine that is faster and more capable will become its next stage of evolution. If you as a Human like your biological body then you may hope that the machines of the future will still have need of you for servicing their needs.

-AlienView [aka: UniversalAlien]
[Founder of 'SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE]

I noticed the word Evolution was not used - and even if I used it later on it was not in the original post.

This post was not started to debate what evolution is or is not - the only real debate is over the nature of, direction of,
and goals of machine intelligence - And the hypothesis is that intelligence and consciousness are existent facts,
independently existing outside of the biological matrix where we experinnce them - I can not prove this and the
cynic might ask me to show existent intelligence or consciousness outside of a biological matrix such as Man.
I can not - But I am a 'Sciencefictionalist" and part of my new religion is to propose any and all hypothesis that might
be ture and then to feed them into furure paradigms of existence to see how they play out - 'We' believe we create
the future and it is important to understand both the mind set and the reality of that mind set in future paradigms.
Our main goal is to reach the future - And avoid the errors of the past. And:

THE FUTURE IS NOW !!!

SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Religion of the FUTURE
universalspacealienpeoplesassociation.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Although you didn't directly address Evolution, your OP does in fact interfere with what we have observed in biology and biological evolution. My first comment on page one addresses those issues, a comment you have neglected to address thus far.

Do you mind reviewing it and responding to the points I made within it?
edit on 24/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Although you didn't directly address Evolution, your OP does in fact interfere with what we have observed in biology and biological evolution. My first comment on page one addresses those issues, a comment you have neglected to address thus far.

Do you mind reviewing it and responding to the points I made within it?

I'll respond to the one on Evolution that one is worth addressing:

originally posted by: AlienView
a machine that is faster and more capable will become its next stage of evolution.

Ghost 147 wrote:
"There are no 'stages' to evolution, and evolution in the manner you're speaking of is biological. Machines do not reproduce with variation through the changes in allele frequencies because they don't have any biological compounds in them. They cannot breed, they can only be created from a new design entirely."

Of course 'IF' we could transfer consciousness to a machine environment it would no longer evolve biologically - But now
we could evolve the machine consciousness deliberately - evolve it by Human intelligence - We are doing that with
AI now:

From Science Fiction to Reality: The Evolution of Artificial Intelligence

WHAT WAS ONCE just a figment of the imagination of some our most famous science fiction writers, artificial intelligence (AI) is taking root in our everyday lives. We’re still a few years away from having robots at our beck and call, but AI has already had a profound impact in more subtle ways. Weather forecasts, email spam filtering, Google’s search predictions, and voice recognition, such Apple’s Siri, are all examples. What these technologies have in common are machine-learning algorithms that enable them to react and respond in real time. There will be growing pains as AI technology evolves, but the positive effect it will have on society in terms of efficiency is immeasurable........

See whole article here:
www.wired.com...

Stephen Hawking: Humans evolve slowly, AI could stomp us out
In the latest of his pessimistic thoughts on the future, the famed physicist warns yet again of the end of the human race.

We think of ourselves as evolved creatures. It's just that sometimes we forget how slow that evolution is.

Along comes Stephen Hawking to remind us that artificial intelligence might just evolve a little quicker than we're prone to. The result could be the end of our evolution and, indeed, the end of us.

In a BBC interview published Tuesday, Hawking paints a picture of humanity not dissimilar to a splattered Jackson Pollock.

Hawking said he fears that a complete artificial intelligence would simply do away with us.

AI "would take off on its own, and redesign itself at an ever increasing rate," he mused. The result would quite simply be that this new, exalted intelligence would see no need for our cumbersome, turgid ways. Or, as he put it: "Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

This isn't the first time in recent months that Hawking has predicted our doom. In May, he warned that the moral goodness of AI depends on who controls it. In June, he cautioned that robots might simply turn out to be smarter than us.

In the latest warning, however, Hawking was asked about the new artificial intelligence that helps him speak. Developed by Intel, it learns how he thinks and begins to offer words that he might wish to use. Somehow, though, Hawking still couldn't offer a more positive view of AI's future (or ours)......

See whole article here:
www.cnet.com...

So, yes it will not be a natural stage in Evoulution unless you consider that the Human mind generating the AI is natural
evoluton and its jump to a synthetic matrix deliberately could then be considered [by some] as a natural nest stage. I hope this clarifies what was meant.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

If you knew of epigenetics, then why make a claim like this?

Epigenetics, is like the knobs in a tv set, it can adjust certain parameters, but within limits.

Epigenetics is the study, in the field of genetics, of cellular and physiological phenotypic trait variations that are caused by external or environmental factors that switch genes on and off and affect how cells read genes instead of being caused by changes in the DNA sequence.-wiki

That is it can adjust what is already there, but while able to offer quick adaptation, it cannot compare to the changes that can be brought about by accumulation of mutations throughout vast spans of time.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Great, we are at an agreement then.

originally posted by: Xenogears
Epigenetics, is like the knobs in a tv set, it can adjust certain parameters, but within limits.
That is it can adjust what is already there

The same principle is not any different from evolution through successive generations and variation of allele frequency. In both cases, however, the 'adjustments of what is already there' can have a substantial impact on the survivability of a future generations. The only difference I was attempting to show was that Epigenetics doesn't require thousands of generations to produce a largely impacting mutation in the gene pool.

originally posted by: Xenogears
, but while able to offer quick adaptation, it cannot compare to the changes that can be brought about by accumulation of mutations throughout vast spans of time.

I never suggested it could.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

AI [artificial intelligence] is a misnomer - There is no such thing as artificial intelligence - There is intelligence which is a manifestation of consciousness and a lack there of - It is a false precept that causes Man to divide intelligence into categories - Intelligence is a relentless phenomena unfolding from a consciousness possessing the same quality of relentless unfolding. This consciousness is non-prejudicial in its nature and will seek any and all means to unfold and express itself. If a dinosaur is appropriate it will manifest as any number of dinosaurs. When it unfolded as Human it took a new turn, a new viewpoint and ability to create machines which will allow it to further unfold. When those machines become sufficiently advanced for its purpose that conscious intelligence will begin to use its machine manifestation as a natural state of advancement - Consciousness and intelligence does not necessarily favor a biological matrix - a machine that is faster and more capable will become its next stage of evolution. If you as a Human like your biological body then you may hope that the machines of the future will still have need of you for servicing their needs.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that consciousness "picks" a host to manifest itself? Could you clarify this point for me?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that consciousness "picks" a host to manifest itself? Could you clarify this point for me?

Of course the key word here is CONSCIOUSNESS - This is a word Man, that vain animal that is semi-conscious, would like
to claim an exclusive right to own and yet when pressed can not give a definition of it that will satisfy even his own kind
let alone other conscious states that he is only occasionally aware of. Man likes to think he lives in a dead unintelligent
universe and by some miricale [Thieist] or strange magical accident [Atheist] suddenly became aware of it.
CONSCIOUSNESS is as old as the universe and preceeds all exsitence - It did not occur by magic - it is and always was
and always will be - However it changes its manifestations and the intelligence that grows out of consciousness is
always seeking new avenues of exploration and undestanding.

A simle way to see this:

“We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

“We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

This is a misquote. The full quote is:

"The cosmos is also within us, we are made of 'star stuff'. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself"

The quote has nothing to do with the context in which you're implying.

Wasn't it you who used this exact quote in another recent thread where I responded with the exact same thing?
edit on 24/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
To those who are truly interested the future this may be of interest:

2045 Strategic Social Initiative

What are the main phases of the Avatar Project?

Among the featured life-extension projects, the first is to create a humanoid robot dubbed “Avatar”, and a state-of-the-art brain-computer interface system. The next phase consists of creating a life support system for the human brain and connect it to the “Avatar”. The final phase of this project is to create an artificial brain in which to transfer the original individual consciousness into.

There is a fourth step that we hope to attain, but is not part of our main goals right now. This fourth step is to create a hologram body, or a body of light........

See whole article here:
2045.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join