It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Responds To Noise Complaint Of Kids Playing Basketball By Lowering Rim And Dunking On Them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Bad boys, bad boys,
What'cha gonna do?
We're gonna play basketball with you...
Bad boys, bad boys

(To the tune of the tv show Cops theme song)

I know there has got to be at least a few people on ATS that get really tired of seeing law enforcement officers shoot kids in the back, put their police dogs on distraught teens, and electrocuting the mentally ill with tasers. I know I am.

So, here's some good news for a change. This Gainesville, Florida cop decided to handle the situation by dealing with the teenagers on their own level. The kids had fun, and more joined in after they found out the cop wasn't there to shoot them.

Source

Some no-fun-haver called in a noise complaint against these kids in Gainesville, Fl. for having the audacity—the nerve—to play basketball loudly in what appears to be the damn woods, or somewhere close to the woods anyway.

So this cop showed up and had some fun with it for about ten minutes, according to the timestamp on his dash cam. He even slammed it before taking off.

Who said white men can't jump? This LEO proved that old saying wrong! (Though it may be necessary to lower the basket a foot or two.)

Here's the Gainesville, Florida police department video. As of this post there have been 5.5 million views of this Facebook video.

-dex

edit on 1/22/2016 by DexterRiley because: grammar

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Would be a better place if this happened more often..nice story

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I saw this earlier today. It's nice to see a cop doing a real public service.

Here's the vid for those who don't like FB:

edit on 22-1-2016 by ghostrager because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Good news for a change, woo hoo. There is hope. That made my day, thanks.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Ahhh… how sweet. The other sell I like so much is when they show politicians kissing babies and soldiers handing out candy.

I won't show the candy one…

Kissing babies...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

party pooper...

-dex

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You must live in a gloomy world.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Ahhh… how sweet. The other sell I like so much is when they show politicians kissing babies and soldiers handing out candy.

Kissing babies...

So what exactly are you saying? Did this LEO got sent there so they can play the "look, there are still some good cops"-card?

Seriously asking

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Community policing

When I was in college to become an officer of the law, my teacher (an old police sergeant) swore by the effectiveness of community policing.

This is a great story and proof that at least in some places it does still exist.

Btw community policing means getting involved with people of the community on a human level. No it does not mean going into communities to harass the people who live there..before anyone thinks of that smart ass remark.
edit on 22-1-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Better than going there gun drawn and shooting some kids for aggressive dribbling or whatever.
Really nice video and I Wish all cops had this guys attitude and passion for people and community spirit.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Any day that a cop can shoot hoops with the locals is a good day IMO.

We need more of these stories; we keep hearing about the bad cops but don't enough about the good cops.

Kudos officer Larrry Bird, Kudos.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Kissing babies...

Be mad at the politicians not the soldiers.

On topic: Great video and hopefully it inspires many.
edit on 22-1-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Nobody broke the law and nobody got hurt. Funny how that works.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Cops do this all the time.

Policing much like teaching I think takes a special person with the right emotional IQ to be effective. You need someone who knows how to spot an opportunity vs a threat. Someone with common sense and the ability to make rational decisions in the context of their environment.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

Community policing

When I was in college to become an officer of the law, my teacher (an old police sergeant) swore by the effectiveness of community policing.

This is a great story and proof that at least in some places it does still exist.

Btw community policing means getting involved with people of the community on a human level. No it does not mean going into communities to harass the people who live there..before anyone thinks of that smart ass remark.

Agreed, the more of that the merrier. Anyway that's a good healthy game, and it's not like they are kicking ball, and they'll all go home knackered.
It's a pity someone had to complain in the first place.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm sure this type of encounter happens a lot more often than we know. Just as it should be. And I'm sure that the bad encounters happen far less often than we are led to believe.

But it's the bad stuff that sells advertising. Just as it is that the evil cop stories draw more attention here on ATS.

I believe this cop didn't go to this call expecting a photo-op. Afterwards, he probably went back to the station and was joking about it. And his superiors probably saw this as an opportunity to show that the Gainesville, Florida police department isn't as bad as the MSM has led everyone to believe.

Like everywhere else, there are good and bad cops. The number of good ones heavily outweigh the number of bad ones.

It's interesting to note that I tend to give law enforcement officers the benefit of the doubt most of the time. However there are some threads that I've read here on ATS that show the cops acting out of malice, rather than justice. And I think the local police in my small town look at me rather suspiciously due to my odd appearance and unusual behavior. But I try to follow the rules and stay off their radar. Hopefully that will keep them off my back.

-dex

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thanks, great video & photo & so nice to see
something positive. What I enjoyed the most is
the cop asked the kids if they were going to be
there tomorrow cause he's returning with his
"back up" so they can get a GAME going on...YEAH!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Who calls the cops on kids playing a noisy game of basketball during the day???????

I'm sure the caller would rather hear the voices drunken arguments, of gangs fighting, gunshots and general mayhem. LOOOOOOOOS-EERRRRRRRRR That caller needs to get a ticket for attempting to disturb the peace.

Some people.

Good on the cop, it would be great to see more of this, a lot more.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

the cop stay and plays for 10minutes hahah

epic

s&f

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

nice to see his friends come out and join in....he must have been ripe after the game..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join