It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Conservatives Say They Couldn’t Support Trump As Nominee

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm predicting a Sanders win.

The Republican party has gone Super Nova and Trump is the Black Hole that is just sucking all the other candidates down into the event horizon with him.

Hillary has email issues. The closer she gets to a Presidential nomination the more her Republican opponents will bring up evidence to suck her into the Black Hole of their creation.

Leaving Sanders the only sanely electable looking candidate.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Popular support and polls mean nothing until the final days of the campaign.

I'd go a step further. The only poll that matters is the one on election day.

There's a difference between broad support in a poll, and support deep enough to actually get somebody's butt off the sofa and go vote.

The idea of a real pot stirrer coming in and changing things is very appealing. The idea of a candidate self-funding his campaign and not being beholden to anyone is appealing. But I have yet to hear a single substantive thing out of trump's mouth beyond calling everyone opposed to him 'losers' and, 'It'll be great'.

If only a Libertarian of means could rally that kind of support. But those ideas require a level of thought process that the electorate in bulk isn't ready to employ. "Trust me". Yeah, that works.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
I'm predicting a Sanders win.

A Sanders candidacy in the general election would make McGovern's '72 campaign against Nixon look successful.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I believe him and the other candidates have their ideas and policies on their websites. They should be analyzed and read, instead of piecing together indistinct nuggets from political rhetoric. I have a feeling people are voting by name or celebrity only, without knowing much at all about their policies.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm loving this!

I think -- I hope! -- we're seeing people power here, and that it is really and truly making the PTB crazy!!!

People are fed up. Most people really aren't partisan. Their loyalty and commitment isn't to the party; the party only has their support as long as they do the "right" thing. On the other hand, for the partisans -- the "establishment" -- their loyalty is only to themselves, not to the people or the nation or to anything good and righteous.

I've been an avid election watcher since Nixon and McGovern... this is getting good!!!

I've gotta say though, I don't think Rush holds quite the sway that he once did. For some, he will always be their Maha Rushie," for those LIVs -- the "Limbaugh Informed Voters." But he's really lost a lot of clout since Obama. For me, he lost ALL credibility when he confessed to having a secret meeting with Obama -- and lying about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If Trump wins the presidency, it is going to be hilarious. He wants everybody to love him, and the history books to tell how he was the greatest ever. Conservative policies of cutting life savings items from the budgets then give tax breaks to the rich, will get the love from a small percentage. So I expect him to show his democrat side.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

There's a difference between broad support in a poll, and support deep enough to actually get somebody's butt off the sofa and go vote.

That's true and if anything is in Sanders favor it's his deep support from the millennials and the hard core counter culture and their use of social media.

The GOP fragmentation and very likely 3rd party bid doesn't bode well for the Right Wing. I'm very interested in the Donalds response to his being thrown under the bus by the Republicans.

edit on 22-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

That's true and if anything is in Sanders favor it's his deep support from the millennials and the hard core counter culture.

Sounds like McGovern.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Wow!

So there is an issue where I can actually agree with "top conservatives."

While I have absolutely no use for Donald Trump, I really think these anti-endorsements are actually a reflection of big establishment politics grasping to maintain control over their parties.

The same thing is starting to happen on the Democratic side of the aisle as the DNC & establishment Democrats are now ramping up their attacks against Bernie Sanders.

The funny thing is, America is so fed up with establishment politics, (on both sides of the aisle) that the more they attack the two outsiders, the stronger their support becomes.

This is definitely going to get interesting.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I like how the GOP haters and left all hate Rush until he could say something that they agree with.

You are reading the wrong articles about establishment. Many of them are coming around, in a big part, because they hate Cruz and feel that Trump is someone that they could at least work with. Make a deal eventually instead of being attacked like Cruz has done on the floor multiple times.

There were two interviews I read, one with Dole and one with Guliani and they were both discussing how the party is split but the GOP will back the person that they feel could do the best in these times across lines.

www.washingtonpost.com... 5_story.html

It is a good read.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

This is true. And they don't seem to like Cruz too much either. The top of CNN online is something like "GOP: Trump or Cruz, like the choice between being poisoned or shot."

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

free-floating populism with strong-man overtones

Isn't that already the Conservative mindset?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Rush is still alive. That guy is so funny but people believe him is the funniest part and I'm a conservative!!

I think of him as a Vaudeville Show and it makes more sense.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Is it possible that the Palin endorsement pushed the Republican mainstream over the edge to Dump Trump?

They don't want a reenactment of McCain/Palin debacle.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Trump would be a massive failure as President. He'd be more divisive than Obama - look at Trumps favorability ratings.

He won't build a wall, he won't bomb the hell out of ISIS, he is all bluster.

He will be a huge disappointment to his cult like followers, huge. SAD!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Is it possible that the Palin endorsement pushed the Republican mainstream over the edge to Dump Trump?

They don't want a reenactment of McCain/Palin debacle.

Independents and democrats that may have been inclined to vote for Donald will be less so now as a result.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The more ideologues he panders to, the more he looks like a panderer.

Jerry Falwell, Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin?

Really pushing the dinosaur envelope. Intentionally?

He's got smart lawyers, nobody said, whoa there nelly… if you want to deflate your balloon, mention them.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Conservatives seem to spend their time trying to "out conservative" each other. It knows no boundaries.

You need to add an '*' to your comment, in order to clarify that they ONLY "out conservative" each other when it comes to TALKING and NOT action.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Conservatives seem to spend their time trying to "out conservative" each other. It knows no boundaries.

And that, right there is a huge problem they have have. It's like a football team comprised fully of quarterbacks. Everyone wants to show one another that they're the star and more committed and determined to win.

It kind of reminds me how some churches create offshoots because the original church isn't "fundamental enough".

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I sill don't like Rush. I do like his gold microphone, that's a sweet bit of kit...

*shrug* I got the impression Rush was only popular among a hardcore following, that may people have drifted away from him and his radio show? I didn't think he was a very popular or powerful voice in conservative camps these days anyway?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join