It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

page: 1

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:31 AM
I write this with my last bit of strength, because a strange disease has befallen me. One every doctor I went to has denied to exist. Yet I know my end is near and i am not the same anymore i was before.
Let this be a warning to you, for all the curious hearts out there, those who like to walk the paths which best remain unwalked.

It wasn't too long ago, when a weird, elderly man had moved in next doors. Dressing like he was not from our time but from back then, when men still were ruling the Earth and one was engaging in conversations from face to face. Almost every night I heard strange noises coming out of his flat. High pitched whining that made the hair on my neck tickle. But how does one ask someone about something like this? I didn't have to wait too long before an opportunity was given to explore the source of this. He just left the house for his afternoon walk, he always took at 15 o'clock. With a cane he barely needed, but wore to underline his untimely outfit, with his melon hat and the long cape. I tried my best to make it look like a pure coincidence, but i had planned and timed it in advance. As I unloaded my car, packed with groceries, almost shaking with anticipation, I greeted him.
„Oh well isn't that a pleasure to finally meet you!“ I said, smiling and offering him my hand. „You must be the new neighbour.“
„Must I?“ Close up I noticed he had a hanging eye. „I hope you don't expect me to help you carrying your stuff?“ He just ignored my friendly gesture.
Grumpy, old man, I thought with my smile frozen on my face, uncertain what to do with my stretched out hand.
„Don't worry I do that every week by myself. But what a lovely weather today! Did you enjoy your walk?“ I still was determined to get an invitation into his home.
„Every weather is the same. It is the walking that makes me go outside.“
„That's an interesting attitude.“ I laughed and he lifted his eyebrow looking at me as if I was the peculiar one. „I am planning to make a nice Risotto tonight, but it always is too much for one person alone. You wouldn't mind if I would bring something over to you? Let's say around seven?“ I knew it was a strange thing to say and the silence following my approach lastet too long, so I added: „To welcome you to the neighbourhood.“ It sounded more like a question than a statement, but he nodded.
„Make it six.“ Whirling his cane loosely towards me he left.

The evening came and I knocked on his door, the fine dish prepared in my hand and anxiously wanting to examine his home.
„There you are, right on time. Come on in.“ I slipped past him almost disappointed to see the floor was fairly ordinary.
„Here the promised food.“ He took the plate out of my hand and I followed him to the living room. This was more like it! I started too look around, the room was filled with strange artifacts and little statues and paintings. One wall was entirely covered by a huge bookshelf, he had no TV, no computer no modern devices at all. Even his lamps seemed to be mostly candles.
„Oh how nice you have it here! Do you mind if I take a look?“ He made a gesture that I took as admission and sat down in a chair to eat while I was wondering from one shelf to the next.
One figurine caught my interest. The statue of a man with a falcon head.
„Have you been to Egypt?“ I asked. „This is Horus, right?“
„Yes, this is one of my favourite pieces, the God of the sky, war and hunting. Go ahead touch it, I know you want to.“
And as I took it in my hand a mild electric shock ran through my hands. I ignored it thinking it was maybe just the excitement to find the old man living up to my wildest speculations. The smooth stone and the fine carved lines made me feel a bit sorry to let go, when I put it back. I had carressed it so long he had finished eating in the meantime.
„Would you like to have a Sherry with me?“ He asked and got two glasses, before I was even able to answer.
„I'd love to.“ I took a seat and while he was filling the glasses with the golden fluid I noticed a strange amulett swinging on a thick golden necklace. Three circles, overlapped by an upside down pyramid.
„What a beautifull pendant. I never saw something like this before, is it from Egypt too?“
„No this one is even older. Cheers.“ We clinked glasses and I drank it in one draft.
Immediately I felt dizzy, the forms of the furniture started swirling and I held on to my chair.
„What... what is happening?“ I coughed and almost threw up.
He started laughing and his voice had changed from grumpy to almost hysterical. „I was waiting for this to happen. Relax and lean back you won't feel a thing.“

I had blacked out and as I woke up I found myself on my own sofa, the statue of Horus in my hands. Furious I got up as fast as my aching head allowed me to and ran over to the old mens place.
My knocking was answered by a young, blonde woman. Puzzled I took a step backwards. But I was determined to get answers.
„Where is he and what has he done to me?“ I demanded to know.
Her eyes got even bigger and she closed the door a bit, hiding and nervously looking at me.
„I am sorry, who?“
„The old dirty bastard that poisened me!“ She shook her head.
„I live here alone since a week now. Nobody else is here.“
„Are you kidding me? Let me have a look I bet his stuff is still all here.“ It ws easy to push her aside and I stomped into the living room. Which wasn't the same room I remembered. Almost empty now without the big bookshelf, just a sofa and TV. What was going on? Was I in the wrong flat?
„Oh excuse me, my mistake.“ I rambled as I left. Back in my place I noticed it was 15 o'clock, the time for his walk. Instead of looking out the window I ran out to the street and just saw his cape and the cane dissapear around the next corner. I ran after him, but as I should have caught up, nobody was there.
From there on I had nightmares of the worst kind, dreams so cruel I barely can think of them without screaming. I tried to find out what the amulett meant he wore, but didn't find anything. But I changed since that, like someone is stetaling my life. I aged so quickly as if twenty years passed in one day. I keep seeing 15 wherever I look and the old mans cape and cane wherever I go.The worst is I don't know what he did to me, no tests showed any results.
This will be my last night. I feel it.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:02 AM
a reply to: Peeple

Nice work, you have a writing style which keeps the reader interested because it's descriptive and believable, but I would say you need to work on your grammar and spelling, unless you're doing that for effect? Either way it doesn't really matter because you seem to have a natural talent, and as long as you can keep the reader interested the rest will work its self out.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:05 AM
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Sorry english is not my first language. But i am working on it.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:07 AM

Wow, great story. Please continue it!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:14 AM

Wow well then that's even more impressive because even people who've spoken English their whole life do not have the descriptive power you possess. Keep at it and you will be writing perfect English in no time.

Some tips:

* Try to use more paragraphs and less walls of text. I know this is hard for long conversations because you have to use new lines for different characters but try to come up with creative ways to break up the text a bit more.

* Simply use the " character instead of the stylized quotation marks. For example "Wow it's so humid" Jessica groaned. If you must use stylized quotation marks don't use the „ character, it's just not right and looks very odd.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:31 AM
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:07 AM
This is crazy man! I feel the same way. I feel like a could have a heart attack and die any day.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:39 PM
Intriguing. Will you continue the story?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:33 AM
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks, but no. He is dead.

top topics