It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Your Shot Series End You Up In The ER?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Hello All,

I have some pretty serious health issues that I am going on right now, and I am trying to figure this jigsaw puzzle out. But one of the possible pieces to this puzzle, is the shot series that I received before being shipped over to Germany 1988. I was put in the emergency room with what I believe was 103 degree temperature. I recovered after a day or two, but wasn't able to do the run section of the final pt test, which is when I got sick. So I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else? I would also be curious to find out, if this did happen to you, if you have negative RH- blood?

Just wondering, and thank you for your time,
TomSawyer

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomSawyer
Hello All,

I have some pretty serious health issues that I am going on right now, and I am trying to figure this jigsaw puzzle out. But one of the possible pieces to this puzzle, is the shot series that I received before being shipped over to Germany 1988. I was put in the emergency room with what I believe was 103 degree temperature. I recovered after a day or two, but wasn't able to do the run section of the final pt test, which is when I got sick. So I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else? I would also be curious to find out, if this did happen to you, if you have negative RH- blood?

TomSawyer

I served in the Air Force from 87 to 91 and my first assignment was to Turkey and received a series of shots without incident. One in particular hurt rather badly which was Gamma Gobulin and it felt like a golf ball being injected in my behind. It is a way to boast the immune system against a hoard of diseases that out there.

I am currently in the Army and have received way more shots then back then and nothing out of the ordinary and two trips to Afghanistan and received the dreaded Anthrax series without any issues to date. What branch were you in ? Did you head over to the desert for Desert Storm ? Some guys over there have reported issues known as the Gulf War Syndrome and it is believed to be related to the sand flies.

Are you in the VA system or private medicine ? I would explore the GWS and read up about it to see if maybe it is related to you current problems. Adverse Reaction to immunizations are not out of the ordinary so maybe back then you just reacted badly to the shot. No idea what it was ?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
In basic training we had a mass inoculation of the whole company, almost every single one of us came down with a pretty terrible case of flu and two guys were actually 'med sep' over it. It seemed all part of the routine though as the day after inoculations they let you have the day off 'so to speak'.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I can not even to begin to guess how many shots I had over the years. Oh so very many, every trip to some third world nation was another round of fun. Never had any reactions though.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Thank you for your response. I was in the Army, and no I did not get deployed to the Persian Gulf. But the crazy part, is that I have many of the same symptoms as GWS. It's hard to figure out exactly what the cause is, because I was potentially exposed to so many things while I was in. Depleted Uranium, Asbestos, possible water supply contamination with diesel fuel, the shot series, etc.. So I'm just trying to put 2 and 2 together here.

12 years ago I went to my first VSO to try and get help with all of these medical conditions. He had me apply for veterans disability, but for some reason never informed me that I might qualify for veterans health benefits. Which has been par for the course in my life for whatever reason. So I was under the impression that I had to qualify for veterans disability, before I would be approved for any benefits. I kept getting letters from the VA saying sorry for the delay in processing the claim, but they would notify me when my claim had been processed, then nothing. I didn't hear from my VSO either, so I assumed that my claim had been denied. (I later found out a few months ago, that my VSO had passed away in the middle of the process, which is why I hadn't heard back from him.)

But my health has been in a nose dive for the past couple of years, much more so over the past 8 months or so. So I contacted another VSO to see if I could re-file my claim. He saw the skin infection on my face and head, told him about the lymph nodes, etc., and even he didn't tell me that I could qualify for veterans health benefits! Even while he's telling me that I will need to get some medical proof to qualify for veterans disability, and knew that I didn't have health insurance due to my physical condition, and not being able to work. So it is what it is I guess, just adapt and overcome right?

I finally figured out on my own just recently that I do qualify for veterans health benefits, and had my first appointment today. Which left me not very optimistic about the outcome. I.E. Told them I have swollen lymph nodes from my neck to the bottom of my feet. I have one in my neck that feels the size and hardness of a golf ball. But the examining doctor said he couldn't feel what I feel! So they are starting me at the very beginning. Did a blood test today, which had elevated red and white blood cells. He even said that the elevated white blood cells is usually indicative of an infection. When I raised the lymph nodes again, he said the word that they use to imply he was unimpressed. So who knows, what's going to happen. All I can say is he didn't push very hard to feel how hard or big it was. But I'm not very optimistic at this point.

Thank you for your compassion,
TomSawyer

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have no idea the things I was shot up with. I have had on multiple occasion the same shot 2 and 3 times because they said I never recieved the shot as it isn't in my medical record. I had the small pox shot once and the scab formed and fell off on its own in literally over night and a day, they said it didn't work right so I had to get abonther one.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomSawyer
Hello All,

TomSawyer

It has been many years since I was subjected to an inoculation series. The many cycles of air gun shots [don't flinch, lean right, pow, lean left, pow, next!] were just peachy and a few guns were set so that after about two steps past the last Corpsman, your arm caught on fire. I had all the shots for a Southeast Asian vacation and then later for a Camel race. I took chloroquine without incident. The shot that sickened many was the Yellow Fever shot. That bad boy made your eyes get big on injection and provided a taste of Yellow Fever for a few days afterward. Some went to sick bay but most were just a little warmer with chills and low grade fever. "Take an aspirin and stop griping," was the general treatment unless someone collapsed.
I hope you get the appropriate treatment. If you are dissatisfied with the diagnosis by the VA, try a free clinic just to see what they say. WEB MD may help, but without a medical background you can scare yourself with a self misdiagnosis. I'd tend to avoid that unless you have no other recourse.

ETA: I have Rh positive blood; A+. I did have a fever but didn't get very sick.
edit on 1/22/2016 by pteridine because: ETA

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TomSawyer

If you served during a period of war like Desert Storm/Desert Shield you are entitled to VA treatment. Its sometimes not worth it but if you no access to any other care then it can be the golden ticket. not sure what shot series you would have received for a trip to Germany as its not considered third world but who knows what they pumped us with.

Doubtful as well that you would still be having issues from a series of shots all these years later but anything is possible. Good luck and take care of yourself as best you can and thanks for your service !

top topics

join