It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pa. Boy, 13, Scores Perfect 1600 on SAT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
A thirteen year old boy has scored a perfect 1600 on his Scholastic Aptitude test. The test is usually given to high school seniors that are heading for college. Two other members of his family are also high scorers, with one brother also scoring 1600 and another 1520. Both of his parents are teachers.

story.news.yahoo.com< br /> MECHANICSBURG, Pa. - A 13-year-old boy has scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT, a standardized test usually given to college-bound high school seniors.

"I was pretty surprised and happy," said Lee Kennedy-Shaffer, an eighth-grader at Mechanicsburg Middle School. "I did not think I would score that high."

He got the perfect score for a test he took in December as part of a program for gifted children.

He wasn't the first in his family to get a perfect score, but he was the first to do so at such a young age.

In June 2003 his brother Ross scored 1600 on the SAT as a junior at Mechanicsburg High School. The oldest brother, Alan, had 1520 on the exam.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That is quite an impressive run for the entire family. My high was 1440 and that was hung over. I took it the next time and studied and slept the night before and scored lower. AT that age with that score, universities will be beating down his door with scholarships.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ive taken taht test way too many times and my score is only 1100. Its an ok score but notin to get me moeny. Its great to hear this kid did well. But honestly after taking this test I honestly dont believe it can judge you or predict how you will do in college. Its really just a crock imo because in reality its just a way for someone to get money. Sure its designed for the upper 10% who will do really awsome on it or the ones that brains work like that. BUt know alot of people who do crappy in school and get a better score on it then me. Well i just wanted to interject that lol Im honestly happy for the kid just dont think the test works.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
don't let him move to Canada, or he will lower the IQ on both sides of the border....

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
don't let him move to Canada, or he will lower the IQ on both sides of the border....

Oooops I forgot to laugh

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
wow that's impressive. go kid and family
i busted my ass studying for the SAT and was thrilled with a 1460. I don't know, I have no problems with tests like these, the problem only arises when the entire school curriculum revolves around preparing for a test.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures

you probably completely missed this test.... idiot

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I remember a kid in my High School got a perfect SAT, I knew him through a girl. That girl came real close to a perfect score, and so did I, it was a banner year for our school I guess but we weren't related. Perfect scores happen pretty regularly though for kids late in high school, but I'm not sure if there are any statistics around for kids just entering high school. But I would assume any kid ready to take the SAT as a freshman was well prepared by their parents. The average score does hover around 1k, but there is a bell curve..I don't know how many perfect SAT scores there are in a year or a decade, but I wager it's a good number, several thousand nationwide per year perhaps. It also wouldn't surprise me if the number of perfect scores was evenly distributed across age brackets. Maybe even better averages for the under 16 crowd, who knows.

The genetic link interests me a lot, I've heard of geniuses in the same family, all the time, but I can't really recall ever seeing a link between SAT scores and relation. I always took that to mean that the standardized IQ tests, or the SAT test, or both, were flawed. Are there any opinions out there about the validity of various standardized tests? Any ideas what should be done to improve testing methods? The cultural bias issue is a possible start, but I wonder if there isn't a deeper flaw in the testing environments.

Rats that were forced to live in crowded, urban environments go insane and produce flawed test results, is there any reason to presume differently in regard to the American experiment in education? They're trying to teach an absent, drugged, inattentive, violent, pack mentality student body. It's like trying to teach a bunch of dingos how to square dance. Not surprisingly, the schools with the most students did the worst.

An analogy to the art world - American education is to the pursuit of learning what Jackson Pollock is to the pursuit of lines.

I know that there are still a lot of smart kids coming out of the American school system, despite the collossal screw ups, past and present, made by school administrators and law makers with policies that turn the students into prisoners and the insitutions of learning into prisons.

Lackluster parenting combined with an inattentive, lowest common denomonator education, can bore and repress exceptional students while hustling average ones along through the system without really teaching them anything. The owner/operators of these same educational gulags scramble for federal and state dollars under the auspices of preparing our young to enter society, while offering almost no instruction in critical thinking, speach, the written word, foreign languages, and (sadly necessary) survival skills for those with parents who lacked the basic skills that all animals are supposed to teach their young - so if nothing, most schools probably aren't doing the kids any harm, they're just not doing them any good.

I just want to clarify real quickly, not all schools, not all teachers are failing, but a vast number of them are. Unfortunately, failure is not a viable blueprint. The number of feral kids in America is frightening. Seriously. Some place it low, like this link.
www.gothamgazette.com...

But then again over half of the kids who call runaway help lines are 'throwaways.'.. so it would stand to reason that about half of the kids on the street are thrown out of their houses, and most if not all are unreported.

Then, browse criminal statistics, and you start to see a pattern. Young males out on the streets go into assault, robbery, drug sales, and prostitution categories, while young females almost invariably end up as prostitution statistics. The low numbers are probably not accurate at all.

All it really takes are motivated teachers who are capable of teaching kids a love of erudition. In the absence of a meaningful education, if the parents are really just feeding and housing the kid, giving no intelectual prodding, there should be no surprised faces when said kid comes into the world a malcontent. However, if that malcontent has a love of learning, from books, conversation, TV, museums, science, invention, whatever, the potential is there for a brilliant contribution to mankind. And if they love to learn, they can learn to survive.

Of course success is another matter. It helps to go to a 'good' school, have a 'good' name, and know the 'right' people. Of course, their schools are expensive, and their names are heirlooms you can't exactly buy. You can buy your way into them, it's been done many times before, but you can never really change your blood. There exists in America, much like in India, a caste system. Nobody really talks about it much, but it's there. America's education system would improve dramatically if that underlying problem were addressed.

No more partisan nonsense about the education system in this country. It's everybody's fault! If you're on the ground, and a red and a blue guy are taking turns kicking you, do you really care who kicked you last or who's kicking you now? No! All you should care about is getting off the ground. Let's focus a little.

Still, despite all the problems in public and private schools both, smart kids keep coming. No matter how much we neglect our kids as a culture, some of them turn out alright. That's cool. I wonder if it has anything to do with home schooling, or genetics, or geography, or climate - probably a little of everything. I wonder though, does a 1600 pretty much guarantee you're a genius, or could a person with say, an IQ of 100, study a lot and ace the SAT's? I've always been curious if there is a correlation between high standardized scores and high IQ scores - not just in blind number counts and surveys, but a verifiable and repeatable (demonstrated under controlled circumstances) correlation.

In the end it's kind of a moot point, since street smarts and luck aren't tested in schools yet. That kind of evolutionary advantage, you can't study for. There are a lot of really smart guys in prison, a lot more on their way, plenty dead every year just like everybody else. I'm curious if an education system that actually served the smart people would keep more smart people out of prison, or if 'criminality' is genetically random or at least well dispersed.

Or would it take a less repressive, more altruistic society? Perhaps a society coming to terms with its hypocrisy regarding legal and illegal drugs could better deal with criminals, and schools both. I just read a story not too long ago, about drug testing in schools. It broke my heart that we're exposing our government, our authority figures, as the frauds they are, to the kids. Some things you just shouldn't have to know before you're grown up. It's a shame, but if we keep going this way, it's going to culture even more feral teenagers.

The difference between this kid here, and the kids called 'throwaways', should serve as a gigantic red flag for our society. There are a lot of smart, able kids living under your cities and in your alleys. Why isn't our system working for more people? This is a democracy still, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I got a very high score on the SAT while 'influenced'. The night before I smoked a bunch, stayed up late, came to the test still feeling the effects, got a perfect on math, and my highest score on verbal.

These tests are BS anyway. The SAT has become signficantly easier over the years to appease to the minorities and 'academically-challenged.' There is an increasing lack of focus on these tests by colleges as a result.

I wouldn't put too much into this story. Scoring perfect on a test is a lot different from practical knowledge.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I wouldn't put too much into this story. Scoring perfect on a test is a lot different from practical knowledge.

Ahh, just be happy for the guy would ya?
I think it's very impressive.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Useful 1diot

Originally posted by Jamuhn

Ahh, just be happy for the guy would ya?
I think it's very impressive.

I think it's great too. I just think this story is a little more modest than being national news worthy. If I knew the kid, I'd congratulate him incessantly, but I don't think he's the next Einstein or anything. That's the point I was trying to make.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Kudos to him ... 13 and getting a perfect score on a test many high school seniors struggle with!

Unfortunately too many young'ns his age won't really view this as an accomplishment. Unless things have changed since I was in school (and somehow I doubt they have!), he'll get teased and called a "nerd."

I never quite understood why being smart was a bad thing in school -- but having been one of the "nerds," I guess my perception is a little skewed.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well, the nerds have faired pretty well in the long run. I have had the satisfaction of seeing some of the popular kids at my high school that loved to torment me cause I did not fit into thier mold not do as well may be shallow but very satisfying.

top topics

join