It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit Cards and Cab Drivers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think I only posted one rant thread before. This is about credit card fraud and how easy unscrupulous cab drivers can take your info and it could be a bit before you notice.

I take cabs a lot. Not far, but often. On only a couple of occasions I didn't tip as the driver was a jerk. Mainly, I overtip. So, some time in the last week, a cab driver who said 'the whole system is down' and handled my card, copied all of the info. Down to security code and obviously, knew my street address as well.

Thankfully, it was under 24 hours when I noticed for this card, that a fraudulent charge of about $95.00 was pending. Paypal is the backer of the Mastercard debit card here.

The only people that physically handle my card are cab drivers. I was able to figure out even what cab driver in a few minutes.

I called the company of the one big charge that went through, they said they could cancel the order and refund within 5-7 days, but the rep said she would escalate it. The refund appeared within 24 hours.

Paypal deactivated my card, but said it would take until the 28th for a new card. I told them I had a couple bills to pay and grocery shopping beforehand. They said, try to do it all in one shot. That they would undeactivate the card and wait for my call to deactivate it again. They were flawless.

I called Paypal today, they undeacivated the card. I did my shopping and paid 2 bills within an hour. I called then and they deactivated the card again. Have been with Paypal since they started, they have improved GREATLY.

I have tried to get info on the fraudster, but the 1 company where it went through and refunded, said that 'due to privacy considerations', they would not tell me but they would tell Paypal. Several charges were attempted after, and I got the emails about it but all declined. All over $300. The companies involved said they do not have a paper trail when there is no active account and it declines.

I got the actual money taken back. but I am inconvenienced that I will not be able to use a debit card until the 28th. My aunt is coming over this evening to give me cash for a check I received in the mail.

DO NOT hand a cab driver your credit/debit card. There should be a swiper in the back or use the CURB phone app. Otherwise, call the cab company and tell them you want to pay them directly, you can, and give the driver a tip in cash.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
It sucks that people are dishonest like that. I wonder if part of it was that you're a woman and he thought he could take advantage. At any rate, I'm glad that you got things settled.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
It sucks that people are dishonest like that. I wonder if part of it was that you're a woman and he thought he could take advantage. At any rate, I'm glad that you got things settled.

Maybe that. Maybe because it was the one I complained about. Maybe because I live in an affluent neighborhood. LOL, the amounts they tried to charged after the card was deactivated were ridiculous.

I hope it is found out who it was. I have talked to the cab company owner, but without more information, neither of us can move forward. I am glad it was fixed and I caught it in time.

It would have been the matter of maybe 2 less dollars and the store I was in, my transaction would have gone through and the fraudster's next big one. I will never complain about the prices in that store again! They saved me from not knowing for another 30 or so minutes.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I believe drivers have to turn in paperwork. It shouldn't be hard for them to find him, if they really want to.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I believe drivers have to turn in paperwork. It shouldn't be hard for them to find him, if they really want to.

hopefully they will. many try to skirt paperwork though.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
somebody tried using my card info to buy something from Walmart.com, Walmart called to verify the purchase ( I have ordered things in the past from Walmart.com so they had my phone number) and I told them I didn`t order anything from Walmart.com recently,so they said they wouldn`t process the order, then I asked them what was the address that the order was being sent to? they said they couldn`t tell me that for privacy reasons. apparently Walmart takes a criminals privacy very seriously.

I said, wait a minute you called me but you can`t tell me the address of an order that was made using MY credit card info?
they said if you didn`t order it we can`t give you the address.
I filed a police report and told the police that Walmart knows who used my card info but they won`t tell me. I don`t know if the police ever followed up with Walmart or not.

edit on 21-1-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

give the driver a tip in cash

I recently found out from my brother, who used to drive for a limousine service, that tips that are left on the credit card are actually divided up and shared with everyone in the office. So, the driver only gets a fraction of that tip.

But if you tip with cash, the driver receives all of that.

After he told me that, I recall that a cab driver once told me that as well. That may not always be the case however.

Not directly related to the OP, but I thought this was a nice bit of information to be aware of. Especially if you have a really good driver worthy of a good tip.

-dex

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

just walk if its not that far problem solved

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Heh, my only card fraud came from a New York limo driver... got me from the air port and figured out I was a rube likely cause I was sticking my neck out the window to see the Chrysler building... but the bank could've easily busted him and they didn't because card fraud is so incredibly rampant... they'd have to quadruple the police forces and ignore all other crime.

Anyway, sucks and too bad... at least most banks usually eat the loss and don't bother fighting it as they can steal from you legally with fees to get it back.

Thieves suck ...especially since that driver makes more than I do.. .the rich never get ripped off, heh... they do all the ripping.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Well, that's sound logic. What do you do if you get ripped off in a restaurant? Give up food?

How do you get by each day? Doing and using nothing because something unfortunate might happen.

Travel?! In a cab?! Jeezus, have only yourself to blame for living so far past the edge.

Woooweee. Cabs. Outrageous.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

i just pay cash and dont have a bank account, problem solved, oh no im a terrorist now.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Fyi all: watch your card when it eaves your hand.
Anyone can buy those little plug into phone scanners and swipe your card both into the store/register etc....and into their own phones at same time.
Its been happening...

MS

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

just walk if its not that far problem solved

I try. Biking is easier. It is harder in winter. I have advanced arthritis in both knees. The first knee will be replaced this year. So, ya, thanks for the problem solving.

new topics

top topics

join