It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Nuclear Sub Runs Aground, One Sailor Dead.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
US military planes and ships have been deployed to aid the USS San Francisco which ran aground while conducting underwater operations in the Pacific. It is returning to its base at Guam under its own power, but on the surface. Officials have stated there has been no damage to the reactor and that the hull is intact.

A US nuclear attack submarine ran aground south of the Pacific island of Guam on Saturday, injuring several people aboard but not damaging its reactor plant, the US Navy has said.

The Los Angeles class USS San Francisco ran aground while conducting submerged operations 563 kilometres south of Guam, where it is based, a Navy statement said.

"The extent of the injuries and damage aboard San Francisco is still being assessed, but includes one critical injury and several other lesser injuries," it said.

abc.net.au

A somewhat embarrassing incident to say the least. I wonder if it was human error or equipment failure, or a combination of both.

[edit on 8-1-2005 by sanctum]
edit:title

[edit on 9-1-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Yikes, alot of collisions occured during the cold war but they were not revealed for obvious reasons. This is one Captain, his fault or not, that is done in the Navy. '

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Maybe the sea floor has changed in that area? His programed "charts" are wrong now? A 9.0 can do that, even if it is a few K away. A new uncharted seamount?

[edit on 8-1-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
More details:

(CNN) -- U.S. Coast Guard and military aircraft Saturday are en route to the western Pacific, where a nuclear attack submarine ran aground, wounding several crew members -- including at least one critically -- according to the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

The USS San Francisco ran aground some 350 miles south of Guam -- the nearest land mass -- while it was conducting submerged operations. It has since resurfaced and is heading back to Guam, according to the USPF's news release.

"At this point there does not seem to be damage to the (nuclear) reactor," Lt. j.g. Adam Clampitt told CNN, from his base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

688 Class

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
how did they lose control?another good reason they should not have nuke power in those subs.wish they could find a better way to power them.that would of been a mess to clean up if it leaked in the local area there.....flukemol

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
THe reactors are pretty safe from what you can find in open literature. I do not believe that there has been a a problem. Even the USS Scorpion or the USS Thresher which suffered calmity did not have a reactor leak. The Russians has a few spectacular ones that we know of and rumors of many others that we don't

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Springer was in the coast guard and has voiced concern about the dislocation of navigation buoys in the area around the quake and tsunami. But it sure would freak the mess out of me to find out that quake moved navigation buoys in the Pacific.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder how they ran aground and what they were doing when this happened.

I'm only glad the sub maintained it's hull integrity, and was able to surface.

Why did they not have an idea regarding the terrain they were in?

On a sub, knowing where you are is paramount.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I know nothing about submarines or their under-water navigation systems, but could the sub' have recalibrated its 'gauges' prior to the tsunami but post earthquake and then forgot to recalibrate post quake/tsunami?

Even though the sub' was in another body of water, i'll bet my house they heard it.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Critical_Mass
Kind of makes you wonder how they ran aground and what they were doing when this happened.

I'm only glad the sub maintained it's hull integrity, and was able to surface.

Why did they not have an idea regarding the terrain they were in?

On a sub, knowing where you are is paramount.

exactly...could there be another plot afoot,

like the Glomar Explorer expedition in the 1970's,
the 'running aground' could be a manufactured incident
so that other investigations & exotic equipment can be deployed without
arousing undue attention. maybe not a soviet-sub this time...perhaps a ufo or chinese=sub??

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
I know nothing about submarines or their under-water navigation systems, but could the sub' have recalibrated its 'gauges' prior to the tsunami but post earthquake and then forgot to recalibrate post quake/tsunami

Subs use intertial navagation. When they surface or put up an antenna, they can get a GPS fix to correct any drift in the INS systems. The tsunami should not have thrown the subs systems off esp if they were underwater. More likely somebody goofed and thats what happened

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredTMore likely somebody goofed and thats what happened

Good point, maybe someone goofed in the sub' or at whatever 'base' monitors their location.
Lucky they got back to www.dtic.mil..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Guam

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by sanctum
I know nothing about submarines or their under-water navigation systems, but could the sub' have recalibrated its 'gauges' prior to the tsunami but post earthquake and then forgot to recalibrate post quake/tsunami

Subs use intertial navagation. When they surface or put up an antenna, they can get a GPS fix to correct any drift in the INS systems. The tsunami should not have thrown the subs systems off esp if they were underwater. More likely somebody goofed and thats what happened

Yeah, but I dunno Fred.

In a Nuke Sub, information is constantly relayed back and forth among the crew. I'm having a hard time with someone just screwing up, you know?

The next thing that i'd want to see is the hull damage.

I normally don't get suspicious of much, but did they hit something other than the bottom? Were they playing cat and mouse with something else?

We rarely get the real facts initially.

Then again, they could have just run aground like they said.

Either way, this really interests me.....

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Last night the national ABC News program carried a story about how the seafloor had radically changed in some places as a result of the quake. They mentioned that -- As hard as it is to believe -- that some spots that were once 4000ft deep were now only 100ft deep (and vice versa). Commercial ships were reporting all sorts of new hazards to various nav offices... and the general impression of the story was that the ocean in that area was now totally alien and had to be re-sounded.

I can see how a sub... an attack sub that is patrolling under inertial navigation and that has sensors in passive mode... might accidentally run into one of these new underwater hazards.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wondering which Chinese sub the USS San Francisco collided with while chasing it out of the area.

Chinese Sub Circles Guam

It'll be interesting if a Chinese sub is reported missing or shows up damaged in the next few weeks.

I do not buy for a minute that this submarine simply ran aground, the sensor suites are much to sophisticated for this to inadvertantly happen. Further if the sub was on an intell gathering mission of some sort its speed would have been very slow to reduce the noise signature. The fact that a sailor is reportedly critically injured indicates a sub moving at more than stealth speed.

Lets wait and see if any news comes from China.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If that is true, the ChiCOms are getting quite frisky. Given thier recent incusion into Japan as well.

I like the undergound collision aspect and if the 688 was in close trailing, it may have worked out that way. US and Russian subs traded paint and more during the cold war. WHy not see if the dragon wants to come out and play now.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ah, the joys of having a Nuke. sub to play with. It makes me wonder what the Captain was up to. From looking at some ocean floor maps of the surrounding area of Guam most of the h2o is rather deep until you start getting within 5-6 miles of the land mass. They could have been the unwitting victims of the big 9.0 It is widely known that when a quake of that magnituide strike it does alter the underwater landscape as well as real estate on terra ferma. If that is the case, that quake could have affected the ocean floor drastically. Their onboard navigation sys. are pre-programmed before they leave safe harbor. My bet would be on this outcome. I'm glad that their hull stayed intact throught this rough grounding. I understand that one of the crew was in serious condition and I will pray for him and the rest of the subs crew. The cost of freedom is never cheap and I'm glad that these young men and woman are ready at a moments notice to fight to protect our God given right to be free. If the China. sub theory plays out then we will have to wait and see if it is reported in the news. The China. have been known to linger in these waters due to several high value targets in the Guam area. It would be courious indeed to see what the final result is in this matter.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
All I can reveal at this point is that DrHoracid is pretty much right on the money with this one.........

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Maybe the sea floor has changed in that area? His programed "charts" are wrong now? A 9.0 can do that, even if it is a few K away. A new uncharted seamount?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cccchunt
All I can reveal at this point is that DrHoracid is pretty much right on the money with this one.........

Originally posted by DrHoracid

With all due respect, no way.

If the bottom changed that drastically from the quake, we'd all be a little wet.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Critical_Mass
With all due respect, no way.

If the bottom changed that drastically from the quake, we'd all be a little wet.

Making a totally uneducated remark here, but if areas of the seafloor went up, then other areas probably went down, meaning total dispalcement could be about the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join